A New Day Ahead: Sora's Story

My Sister's Gift

Sora POV

I hung up on Mr. Kim as I was tired of hearing him talk...

I closed my eyes as I recalled the many events prior to this...

*Flashback to over 20 years before the story*

A small girl of about eight watched with a grim expression as her mother was loaded into the hearse. She held the hand of her three-year-old brother as her father stood stoically next to her.

The little boy squirmed in the tight grip of his older sister's hands as he longed to run about. However the elder girl shushed him. Pouting, the little Hyukjae stayed still frowning at the black car that stood before them.

The Lee siblings did not shed a tear as their mother took her last journey.

The brother and sister duo, although young, had learned to control their emotions and act reserved. Mr. Lee was a strict man who wanted and expected to raise his children with discipline.

"Sora-ah, Hyukjae-ah, say good bye to your mother."

"Bye mother," said Sora in a monotone voice.

Hyukjae looked confused at his father.

"But appa why must I say goodbye to umma???"

Mr. Lee looked sternly at Hyukjae and raised his hand to slap his son across his face.

The little boy whimpered at the hit and he started to sob as Sora wrapped her arms around her little brother.

"I am not your appa young man. You will address me as father. You're mother is dead."

He harshly pulled the crying boy out of his older sister's grasp and dragged him towards the coffin.

"Now say goodbye Hyukjae."

"G-g-goodbye m-m-mother..."

The little girl could only stare as she watched her younger brother break down in tears, only to get beaten by her father again.

She couldn't do anything to help. Her heart broke from the loss of her mother, but she clenched her teeth to keep the tears from flowing. Her knuckles were turning white as she restrained from hurting her father.

She was helpless....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several years had passed and now the young sixteen-year-old girl ran back from school as she was late for her appointment with her father.

She entered the large office after taking in a large breath.

Her father sat profressionally in the large desk, covered with papers as he signed important looking documents.

"Oh, hello Sora. It's nice to see you here."

"Did you call for me sir?"

"Yes I did."

Mr. Lee looked up from the paper he was currently examining. He beckoned his personal assitant, Junsu.

Junsu left the room, only appearing back quickly with a young boy who was obviously struggling in the firm grip of Junsu's arms.

He had a mop of bright blonde hair and he was wearing a school uniform which had several cuts and rips from what appeared to be rough-housing.

"Get off of me you mother f***er!" yelled the boy.

Sora gasped in shock as she realized this boy was her younger brother.

Hyukjae had always reblled against his father's choices.

His older sister had been no trouble as Sora managed to please and exceed her father's demands. She was an honors student, an excellent athlete, a beauty, and basically the kind of girl that every one idolized. Yet she was still a girl... not someone who was going to succeed her father's company.

Hyukjae was the successor but he would have no part with it. He wanted to be free from his father's discplined and strict way of living. He fought against the teachers, attacked administration, and refused to listen to his father. Mr. Lee beat him of course, but Hyukjae could care less. he was used to it.

In the end he started to ditch school and focus on his one and only passion, dance. He had hid it from Mr. Lee for quite a while but once Mr. Lee found out he was beyond furious. The sole successor of the Lee Company spent all his time wasted on a career that would bring no money. The two had fought continuosly but about two years ago Mr. Lee had enough. Hyukjae had been sent to a highly elite disciplined boarding school for troubled, yet rich young men.

Apparently that had done nothing to change the young boy.

"Sora, Hyukjae has been kicked out of his school. Thus we will now be... raising him at home. Please look after him Sora."

"But father, what about his schooling?"

Mr. Lee chuckled, "You're a smart young lady, Sora. You will teach him."

"Yes sir. Come on Hyukjae, let's get you cleaned up."

Hyukjae looked at Sora's reasurring smile and he pulled away from Junsu's grip.

"Let me go you filthy bastard!"

Mr. Lee frowned, "Young man, you are my son. You will not use any of those vulgar words."

"Pardon me sir," said Hyukjae, "the last time I checked a father would not carelessly beat and throw his son away."

Hyukjae stormed out of the room, dragging Sora with him.

**********

They were in the bathroom now as Sora cleaned the cuts from the various wounds Hyukjae had.

"Hyukjae-ah... what did you do now?"

Hyukjae flashed a cheeky grin at Sora, "I didn't get into fight noona. I was protecting someone from getting hurt."

"Alright then... Hyukjae why can't you just listen to father?"

The young boy frowned deeply, "I'm not going to do anything that old man wants me to do. I'll follow my own dream thank you very much..."

Sora frowned at the younger boy as Hyukjae gave her another smile.

"Don't worry noona, I finally met someone that understands me. We're gonna make it together."

Sora smiled at him but she felt a small pang in her heart as she watched her younger brother slowly slip out of the hands of thier protective father and started follow his own dreams.

What are even my dreams???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean you got engaged?!?!" yelled Sora over the phone.

Hyukjae chuckled over the phone, "Shouldn't you be congratulating me noona? I'm going to get married now."

"To Hyoyeon?" asked Sora through clenched teeth.

"Yeah..." responded Hyukjae dreamily. "She's great isn't she?"

Sora huffed out of frustration, "Hyukjae-ah. Father is deathly ill and there's only you who can succeed him in this company. You have to come home. Now."

"I'm not leaving Hyoyeon or Yoona. I will not do anything for that man noona."

"What's more important to you Hyukjae?!?! Your wife or your father??!!!"

"I have no father noona. The idea of my father died with my mother noona."

"Hyukjae you can't do this!!! You can't just leave me with this mess! What the hell are we supposed to do without you?!!?!?!"

Sora could hear Hyujae shrug over the line, "Honestly I don't care noona. Do whatever you want. It doesn't mean anything. Good bye noona. I hope you can come to the wedding."

He hung up, leaving Sora shocked.

Hyukjae didn't just abandon the thought of father... he left me behind as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sora couldn't help but purse her lips as she saw how happy Hyukjae was with Hyoyeon and Yoona. They made the perfect family that Sora would never have.

Her father had finally passed away, leaving the company a huge mess.

Sora did her part by trying to repatch it together, but nothing much could be done as Hyukjae was the one left with company in Mr. Lee's will. Yet Hyukjae refused to partake in anything that involved his father.

Thus the company had almost fallen into bankrupcy. Luckily Sora was able to save the company just in time.

She had to sell the whole entire thing.

Sora had lost everything.

She couldn't help feeling jealous of Hyukjae and Hyoyeon... and not to mention Yoona...

Yes the successful Im Yoona.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sora could not believe the news that Hyukjae had passed away. But she was even more shocked to know that Hyukjae and Hyoyeon had left most of their belongings to Yoona, including their daughter Minna.

Sora was jealous.

She was the older one. She was the one who suffered the most. She deserved all of the HyoHyuk couples's assets.

Yet Hyukjae left her only one thing.

The key to their old house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sora felt pleased after leaving the office of K-Entertainment as she finally found a partner in who wanted to ruin Yoona as much as she did.

She now had time before her next appointment to finally look at and use the gift Hyukjae had left her in his will.

Sora drove down the familiar roads and finally arrived at a large mansion.

The key eased within the slot and the door opened with a creak. The mansion was clean like it had been taken care of well...

Sora's head filled with many memories of her childhood.

She slowly made her way to the small bedroom that had been hers.

It was just how she had left it. Clean and proper.

Sora walked over to her old desk and was puzzled to see an envelope placed on top.

It was adressed to her.

Dear Sora-noona,

I realize that if you do get this letter that something tragic must have happened to Hyoyeon and I.

Noona, I understand how upset you must have felt when I was young and ignorant. I left you many burdens as I ran off to follow my own dreams.

Noona, I know you dreamt of a perfect family where one day father, mother, you, and I could be together and finally be happy. I guess that won't be happening anytime soon.

Noona, I just want you to know that I never did stop loving you. I never meant to abandon you. I meant to follow my dreams in hopes that you would finally see that there other ways of living other than following the directions of father.

I guess you didn't understand my thought... since you know... you don't really seem to like Hyoyeon or Yoona.

Sora-noona all I wanted was for our family to be together again but that didn't happen so I went off by myself to find another one. That was wrong of me.

I never should have left. But what's done is done.

I hope you can forgive me....

But Sora-noona thi s is why I leave you this one last gift.

A chance to follow your dreams without any burdens.

I left Minna in Yoona's care as I wanted to give you an oppurtunity to be free of responsibility. This key and this house is for you noona.

Please use it to make new beginnings and build lives that both of us were never able to have.

Revive our old childhood dreams.

Much Love,

Lee-Im Hyukjae

Sora didn't realize she was crying until she had finished the letter.

She looked around her own room and burst into complete sobs as she realized how lonely it was.

She had nothing. All she had ever wanted as a child was a family. A loving one.

And she had even given up on that.

Sora stared at the note and the key within her hand and knew exactly what she wanted to do.

She dialed the number of her lawyer and waited for the other line to pick up.

*End of flashback*

Sora smiled brightly as she finally got out of the car and entered the cemetry where her brother now rested with his lovely wife.

She left a large bouquet of flowers and left to go back to the parking lot.

As she walked down the steep hill, she tripped as the ground was not stable.

Sora closed her eyes, ready for the impact of the ground.

Yet surprisingly she never did touch the ground.

She opened her eyes to see the deep gaze of a young man staring down at her.

"Miss are you alright?"

 "Y-y-yes... I'm so sorry... Thank you."

The man smiled at Sora, which awakened butterflies within her stomach.

"I'm glad you're alright miss. It would be such a shame to see a young woman like yourself get hurt."

Sora smiled brightly at the man, "Thank you so much, is there anyway I can repay you?"

"W-w-well... are you busy right now? Would you like to have lunch with me?"

"Lunch would be perfect. May I ask your name?"

The man gave her a cheeky grin, "My name is Kim Hyukjae. Yours?"

"Lee Sora."

"That's a pretty name Sora-ssi."

"It's a pleasure to meet you... Hyukjae."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully this will clear some things up for my readers... I'm so sorry I did a terrible job at explaining Sora T^T *punished self* but I hope this update made it a little bit more clearer.

Please leave me a comment and tell me what you thought, because now I feel slightly bit unconfident at my writing skills... Not that I had a lot in the first place...

Anyway thank you so much for supporting. This is my first story after all... It's great getting all this feedback!

Love you all! <3