The Calm before the Storm

My Sister's Gift

Yoona POV

Alas it was finally Sunday, the only day of the week where I did not have work. For the most part, I had no control over my schedule. But Jessica somehow managed to convince Mr. Kim to give me one day off in the week. She had also convinced him to completely free my schedule tomorrow as well, since it was the date of the dreaded press conference.

I still had to tell Minna about that…

It was 8:00 and I knew I should get out of bed… But honestly my bed was too comfortable. I closed my eyes, hoping to catch some extra sleep, yet no such luck for Im Yoona.

The door to my bedroom burst open and I could hear the patter of my niece’s little feet running towards my bed.

“UMMA!” yelled Minna as she jumped onto me. “Wake up~ it’s morning!”

“Urghhh,” I groaned from her excitement, not bothering to open my eyes.

“Minna-ah~ let your umma sleep a little bit more… she’s tired…”

“No~” whined Minna, “umma promised to take me somewhere special today!”

I unwillingly pried my eyes open, only to be faced with the cute pair of lovable doe-eyes that were so like my own. Our similarity never failed to take my breath away, my little copy sat on my chest while crossing her little arms and pouting.

Keke~ she may look like me but her personality is much more like Hyo-unnie’s. That pout and her excitement over anything are totally from unnie…

“Umma~ you promised you’d take me on a date! It’s not fair that you took Yuri-seonsaengnim on a date but not me~!”

I blushed deeply and looked away from my niece.

It had been exactly four nights ago that I had taken Yuri on our dinner. I hadn’t planned it to be a date; I had no time for such things as dating…

But somehow Soo, Fany-unnie, and Jessica-unnie found out about our outing. Ever since then I felt as if all hell had broken loose. Soo wouldn’t stop teasing me, Fany-unnie would bombard me with questions about Yuri, and Sica-unnie would constantly give me her icy glares…

On top of that, after breaking down in front of a person I barely knew, I took the best and only option possible; I ignored Yuri completely.

So it wasn’t the smartest decision, but honestly how on earth was I supposed to relate with her now? She had totally seen the weak side of Im Yoona and it was completely embarrassing! >///<

I hadn’t talked to Yuri since then. Of course I’d see her when I’d drop Minna off and pick her up at the daycare, but I managed to ignore her pleading looks.

I admit it, I’m a coward.

“Umma!” yelled Minna again.

I reluctantly got out of bed, “Aish! Alright, alright, I’m up Minna! Let’s have breakfast first.”

“Yay!” exclaimed Minna as she dragged me to the kitchen.

“What do you want for breakfast Minna?”

“Rilakkuma-shaped strawberry pancakes!”

I groaned slightly, ever since Soo had made her strawberry pancakes and used a cookie cutter to cut them out as small bears, Minna had completely fallen in love with them. Well I guess it was inevitable, since it combined her two favorite things, strawberries and Rilakkuma.

“Alright Minna, but you have to help me arasso?” Minna nodded shaking her head vigorously.

I handed her the batter I had been mixing and she carefully stirred it as I began to cut the strawberries. In the mean time I let the hot plate warm up and scrambled eggs to go along with the pancakes.

Just as I started to pour the pancake batter on the hot plate, the door bell rang.

“Minna-ah~ can you go see who that is?”

Minna ran to get the door and soon she walked into the dining area with a familiar looking tall person.

“Morning Yoong!” said Sooyoung excitedly.

“Why are you here?”

“Wow. What a way to greet your best friend…” pouted Soo.

I rolled my eyes, “You hungry queen of shikshin?”

“Nah~ I just ate. I actually came here to see if I could chill with you today. I’m bored as heck; everyone else is busy with schedules.”

“Well I don’t mind,” I said while handing Minna a plate of bear-shaped strawberry pancakes. “You’d have to ask Minna. We have a date today.”

Minna wasn’t paying attention to our conversation as she ate the pancakes.

“Minna~” pleaded Soo, “can I come on a date with you and your umma today? Pleaaaase?”

Minna peered up from her breakfast and carefully considered Soo’s request. She chewed at her food slowly and tilted her head as she pondered over the possibility of allowing Sooyoung on our date.

“Hmmm, okay~” said Minna. “But you have to buy me a present!”

I laughed at my niece’s answer as Sooyoung groaned.

“Yah, Minna-ah! You’re so much like Yoong!”

Minna grinned mischievously and finished her pancakes.

Minna insisted that we go to the lily field again.

My niece really was unique. Most kids her age would want to go the amusement park, but here she wanted to go to a field of wild flowers.

I also decided that since I had the day off, it would be a good idea to visit Hyoyeon-unnie and Hyukjae-oppa. Plus my Audi had finally arrived so it was the perfect excuse to take it for a long spin

“You got your car back Yoongie?” asked Soo excitedly.

“Yep, my baby’s back.” I smiled. “They gave me new wheels too.”

Sooyoung the hood of my car and looked at it longingly. “Gosh Yoona… how’d you score a beauty like this?”

“When you’re beautiful Choi Sooyoung, beautiful things just magically find their way to you,” I said while I winked Soo.

Soo scowled and got into the car.

*At the cemetery*

Soo decided to wait for us in the car to give us some privacy, so it was quiet as the two us made our way to the headstones…

Minna was quiet at my side as I laid down the bouquet of roses I had gotten for Hyoyeon-unnie. Unnie had always loved roses, no matter what color.

I knelt down to face the cold stone surface of the two graves. Minna moved closer to me and gripped my jacket tightly. I gave her a reassuring smile.

“Hi Hyo-unnie, Hyuk-oppa, I hope you’ve been doing well. I’m sorry we haven’t come to visit you… Minna’s an angel unnie. She’s going to school, she’s eating well, and we get along great. I hope you aren’t worried or anything. You two can rest in peace. I’m going to do my best to take care of your daughter.”

“Umma! Appa! It’s Minna!” yelled Minna happily. “Yoona-umma is the best! She takes very good care of me!”

She looked at me and smiled.

“Umma, appa, I miss you. But I’m not sad anymore because I have Yoona-umma. I love you umma and appa! Mwah~!”

As my young niece finished, I had to hold back my tears.

Unnie, I really miss you… It’s funny isn’t unnie?

I finally get time to see you two and now you guys aren’t here. I’m so sorry unnie, please forgive me. I just wanted to protect you, I never wanted for us to drift apart…

I still don’t understand why you left Minna with me. But I owe it to you and Hyuk-oppa. You two gave up so much for me…
I love you unnie, I’ll come back and visit soon.

“Well, well…” drawled a familiar voice from behind the two of us.

I turned to find someone I honestly did not want to see. It was Sora. She held flowers in her hand as well.

“Hello Yoona, long time no see.”

She smirked as she threw the bouquet onto the two headstones.

“I was beginning to suspect that you had forgotten about my… dear younger brother and sister-in-law. I come here everyday and you’re never here my dear.”

“Hello Sora-ssi, I’ve just been busy with work and Minna.”

Sora’s ears perked up at the mention of Minna’s name, “Minna?”

Minna, who had decided to hide behind ever since Sora appeared, peered to look up at Sora.

“Annyeonghaseyo Sora-unnie…” whispered Minna.

Sora’s lips curved up into a cold smile, “Why Minna-ah, I didn’t even see you there. Is that anyway to greet your aunt?”

She pointed to her cheek, “Give me a kiss Minna-ah.”

Minna shook her head and hid her face in my shirt.

“Tsk tsk… Yah Minna-ah it seems like you’ve forgotten your manners. Yoona hasn’t been a good influence on you has she? I knew that you’d be much better off with me as your mother Minna.”

“I don’t think so Sora-ssi.” I said coldly.

Sora widened her eyes in surprise at my outburst, but they soon narrowed into slits.

“Hyoyeon-unnie and Hyukjae-oppa clearly wrote in their will that Minna is under my care. There is no way that you can change that.”

Sora chuckled, “We shall see about that Yoona. Clearly my brother was once again under the conniving influence of your sister. Like I said Im Yoona, I will make Minna mine, even if it’s the last thing I do.”

“We’ll see about that Sora-ssi. I won’t be letting go Minna that easily. She is my responsibility now and I can provide her with a better life.”

I swiftly picked Minna up and headed towards the car.

“I don’t know about that Yoona. A young idol with a child, we’ll see how successful you’ll really be.”

Ignoring, Sora’s last comment I made my way to Sooyoung, while Minna tightly clung onto me, as if I was the only thing the world that she could rely on.

Sooyoung POV

I let Minna and Yoona visit Hyuk-oppa and Hyo-unnie in peace as I stayed behind to watch the car. It was a nice day, so I didn’t mind but man I was dead bored…

As it was morning, there was no one else in the parking lot besides me and another car. That’s why I jumped when I noticed a car pull up from behind me. The door opened and it revealed a sight that I could not believe with my eyes.

Holy *@!#! It’s the waitress from the restaurant! The really pretty one, I think her name was Seohyun...

She really did look gorgeous; I didn’t overact on that part. Her long copper brown hair shown in the sun and swished back and forth as she elegantly made her way to the cemetery.

“W-Wait!” I shouted, surprising the lady. She turned around to face me.

Omo… why did I just do that???!!!

I ruffled my own hair nervously as the beautiful lady turned to look at me.

“Ummm hello,” she said politely. “I don’t mean to be rude, but do I know you?”

“Y-yeah, kind of… we met at the café the other day right? I ordered the House Special and chicken Caesar salad.”

“Omo! I remember now. I’m so sorry about that! I was so rude!”

“A-aniyo… it’s fine really. I’m a shikshin after all.”

She giggled at my statement, “Well it’s very nice to meet you again, ummm… what was your name again?”

“Sooyoung, my name’s Choi Sooyoung.”

Her eyes widened in surprise, “C-C-Choi Sooyoung? As in like the actress?”

I looked at the ground meekly and nodded.

Omo Choi Sooyoung, what’s the matter with you? You’re NEVER shy in front of people. YAH! Say something before you embarrass yourself!

“I-I’m a really big fan, Sooyoung-ssi…” she said while blushing furiously

Kyaaa~ she’s so cute!

“Well it’s very nice to meet you. Thank you for supporting me Seohyun-ssi.”

We stood in awkward silence for a little bit.

“SEOHYUN-UNNIE!” yelled an excited voice. We both turned around to see Yoona carrying the very excited Minna. She squirmed in Yoona’s embrace and Yoona reluctantly let her down.
I watched wide-eyed Minna ran over to Seohyun and grew even more surprised when Minna jumped into her arms.

“Seohyun-unnie!”

“Aigo… hello Minna-ah! You seem very excited today.”

“I am! Umma and I are going on a date with Sooyoung-unnie!”

“Oh really?”

Yoona walked over to the three of us, “Hello Seohyun-ssi. What a surprise to see you here!”

“Yes,” said Seohyun, “I was just on my way to visit my father.”

“Your appa?” asked Minna. “Where is he?”

Seohyun smiled sadly at Minna, “My appa is in heaven Minna-ah.”

Minna’s eyes grew big, “Ohhh… He must be with my umma and appa.”

“Yes Minna-ah that’s right,” said Seohyun as she looked sadly away.

“Please don’t be sad Seo-unnie… I was sad at first too but now Yoona-umma is with me. Yuri-seonsaengnim will take care of you right?”

Seohyun giggled softly at the cute little girl, “That’s right Minna-ah. Yuri-unnie will take care of me.”

“Minna-ah, I think we should let Seohyun-ssi visit her appa now, we have to get going remember?”

“Oh! Nae umma! Let’s go!”

Minna scrambled down Seohyun’s arms, “It was nice seeing you Seo-unnie. Bye-bye!”

“Bye Minna-ah! It was nice meeting you again Yoona-ssi, Sooyoung-ssi.”

Yoona waved happily at Seohyun and led Minna back to the car as Seohyun started to walk away once again.

“W-wait Seohyun-ssi! Hold on!” I yelled.

She immediately turned around to look at me, “Y-y-yes?”

“U-ummm… I-I-I know we barely know each other b-b-but…”

I held out a piece of paper, “Here’s my number, maybe you can call me sometime?”

Before I could get rejected, I ran to Yoon’s car.

Gosh… Choi Sooyoung you made a complete fool of yourself…

No One’s POV

As the tall one hurriedly made her way back to the black Audi, the young lady stood with the bouquet of tulips in one hand and a piece of paper in her other one. She stood silently, unable to move for a little bit, until she broke into a wide smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello to my readers! I'm sorry if this update is so late, but show week is finally over so I should be able to update again soon. I'm hoping either later on tonight or early tomorrow. Thank you again for supporting this story! And as usualy please leave a comment below! ^^

Also a side comment: Yes, if you guys haven't figured out by now... this story is very cheesy and full of cliche, although the setting itself is real enough. Hahah but what can I say? I'm a er for cheesy romantic stories...