Dare I Say!

Crazy Little Thoughts

 

I’m an adventurous person as well! And I’m physically fit for it!
 
“Ya! Kwon Jiyong, hurry up!” Sandara Park’s loud voice came from somewhere. I looked up, glaring but I doubted if she’ll see my glare as she was too far away. I looked around and realized I was the only one left behind. Eh? How did that happen?
 
I bent forward with my hands on my knees, sweating and catching my breath.
 
“Wow, you look seriously tired,” Sandara Park’s voice came into my senses again and it sounded so near that it surprised me.
 
I squeaked and jumped upon seeing her face bent close to mine. I clutched my thundering heart.
“Ya!” I said. “What was that for? You almost gave me a heart attack!”
 
“Wow, you’re sweating like a waterfall. You don’t exercise that much, do you? No wonder you don’t have any muscles at all.”
 
What did she just say?! Did she just insult me yet again?! Huh, the nerve of this girl! How could she say things like that to me? After all the time and effort I’ve exerted to help her, this is how she’s going to repay me? Ah, I seriously could not believe this. “YA!” I shouted. “How dare you insult me? After everything I did, this is how you’re going to repay me? Why, does Mikmun have muscles that –”
 
“Yes, he does.”
 
I pursed my lips. “Huh, so are you saying that Junho has muscles as well?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Are you trying to imply that I’m the only high school student who doesn’t have muscles?”
 
“No,” she said. “But with the boys with us right now, you’re the only one who doesn’t have any of those mouth-watering things, if you know what I mean.”
 
I pursed my lips again and quirked in annoyance. “YA! I DO HAVE MUSCLES BUT THEY’RE JUST HIDDEN BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP A LOW PROFILE! IF I SHOW OFF MY MUSCLES RIGHT NOW, ALL THE GIRLS WOULD SWOON OVER ME AND TRY TO GET MY ATTENTION! AND YOU SAID YOU DON’T WANT ME TO BE DISTRACTED! DO YOU REALLY THINK IF I SHOW OFF MY MOUTH-WATERING THINGS, I’D STILL BE ABLE TO DO MY PART IN MAKING MIKMUN AND VICKY JEALOUS? NO! AND BESIDES, WOMEN LOVES SLIM MEN THESE DAYS.”
 
She had her arms crossed the whole time I was ranting. And when I was done, she raised one brow at me. I pouted and frowned, looking to the ground. Out of nowhere, she suddenly burst out laughing.
 
Eh?
 
What now?
 
I was just about look up when she suddenly threw her arms around me, more of herself actually, that it took me by surprise, making me lose my balance. I landed on my back quite painfully with her on top of me, wiggling and giggling. Then, she pulled herself up a little and looked down at me with that mischievous look in her eyes again. “Aigoo, you’re so cute!” she cooed and pinched my cheeks. “Your cuteness makes me want to kiss you!”
 
My eyes widened in instant and in fear. What did she say? Omo, is she planning something bad to me again? Omo, omo, omo! I knew it! I’m just too handsome and appealing compared to Mikmun that Sandara Park fell for me as well! Kyak! I can’t deal with this right now. How am I going to get Vicky now if my accomplice has fallen in love with me? Aish, this cannot be!
 
My eyes then widened again upon seeing her with her lips pouting and her face closing in on me. “YA!” I protested and pushed her off of me. I scrambled up and tried to get as far away from her as I can. When I looked back, I saw her laughing again, with her hands on her tummy. “YA!”
 
“Your face was so funny!” she laughed. “Did you really think I will kiss you? Hahahahahaha! You’re out of your mind! Aigoo, you’re so fun to play with, aren’t you?”
 
“Don’t talk to me, you maniac!”
 
“What did you just call me?” she asked with her eyes narrowed.
 
“You heard me right!”
 
“Is that so?” she asked again, slowly walking towards me. I started backing up. When I wasn’t able to stand that mischievous, naughty and playful look in her face, I turned around and ran as fast as I can.
 
My heart was hammering so fast in my chest. I feel like I’m in one of those suspense-thriller movies where the psycho killer is now chasing after me in the middle of the dark forest! Kyak! My legs were giving up but I can’t stop running, I must not stop running. Sometimes I think Sandara Park has split personalities! Kyak, she’s so scary!
 
When I started hearing voices, I started to slow down. Thank God! I saw the others on the clearing and could only sigh in relief. Junho was the nearest person to me and I almost jump again upon hearing the girl’s voice behind me.
 
“See? I told you, I can make him run like hell,” Sandara Park’s laughing voice came in. I looked behind me and saw her smiling at Junho. “You lost,” she said.
 
“You should not make bets with her Junho,” Vicky came in. “She’s very good at it.”
 
“Yeah, I just realized that,” Junho chuckled and handled Sandara Park the bet money.
 
“They were talking about how slow you were,” Vicky whispered then walked turned away and went back to Mikmun.
 
Sandara Park is a traitor!
 
How can she laugh at me behind my back? I don’t want to talk to her at the moment. With a glare and a hmph, I walked out on both of them.
 
“Jiyongie!”
 
I looked up and saw Krystal heading my direction. I smiled and waved at her. “Hello,” I said.
 
She giggled and grabbed my arm. She started dragging me around the area, asking me to do this and do that, telling me this and that. Basically, I spent the next few hours with Krystal and some of her close girlfriends. And when everyone started building tents, I started to get uneasy. Krystal started asking me to build her tent for her and that I should set up my tent beside her as well.
 
Ottokae?
 
I looked around to find anything as an excuse. But as I did, I saw something far than being an excuse. Sandara Park and Lee Junho, at the far end of the clearing, were building tents! Sandara Park has indeed turned into a full blown traitor! With Krystal talking nonstop, I started heading towards the direction of the two. With a light chuckle, I placed my arm heavily on Junho’s shoulder and tapped his chest lightly. “Krystal needs help in setting up her tent,” I told him.
 
“Oh,” he mumbled. “I’m still helping Dara, thought. I will –”
 
“I will help Sandara Park,” I told him and pushed him away, lightly though. “Ya, you traitor!”
 
“Traitor?” she asked in disbelief. “How did I become a traitor?”
 
“Why are you setting up your tent beside him all the way here, far from everyone? How are we going to make Mikmun and Vicky jealous of us if you’re. . . if you’re interested with another guy?!”
 
“Interested in another guy?” she asked back. “I was merely asking for his help to set up my tent and yours since you’re so busy interacting with everyone!”
 
I paused for a moment. “This is our tent?”
 
She rolled her eyes. “Obviously,” she said.
 
“Oh,” I mumbled.
 
“Well, unlike you, I’m pretty much concern about the whole set up.”
 
“I can’t sleep without light,” I said.
 
“I know,” she said. “I brought a lamp being ran by batteries and don’t worry, I brought up a bag of spare batteries as well.”
 
I was rendered speechless. “Wow, you really prepared for this. . .”
 
She smirked. “Well, I’m not concern of my own welfare only, am I? Did you really think I’m that heartless?”
 
“I never said you were!”
 
“But you’re calling me a traitor, isn’t that being heartless as well?”
 
I opened my mouth to say something but no words came out. I bowed my head, feeling guilty and ashamed at the same time. “I’m sorry.”
 
“Do you know how to set up tents?”
 
“Erm, no.”
 
Silence. Then, she burst out. “You pushed Junho aware but you don’t even know how to build up tent, you useless blonde maggot!”
 
I flinched. “Ya! Who are you calling a maggot?”
 
“You, you useless tweety bird!”
 
“YA!” I protested. She sounded angry but when I looked up, I saw a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips while she was setting up the tent by herself. I can’t help but smile as well myself. There was just something about Sandara Park’s smile that makes me smile as well. I don’t know, maybe it looked genuine or infectious or. . . ah, why am I even bothering. “What’s with the smile?” I asked.
 
She paused with what she was doing and glanced at me. And there it was, the smile that always reaches her eyes. “I just find you funny,” she said. “And besides, I think our little chemistry is slowly making its way to the two.”
 
“Eh?”
 
“Look around discreetly,” she said.
 
I did as what I told and looked around. As I did, I saw Mikmun and Vicky glancing at us once in a while and they seemed to be arguing.
 
“We just have to do some little pushing,” she said.
 
“You think?”
 
“Yes,” she nodded. “After that, I’ll be back with Khunnie and you will be with Victoria.”
 
For some weird reason, silence enveloped us – both of us not looking at each other. “Do you think. . . do you think we could still be friends when that time comes?”
 
“Of course!” she answered. “Why wouldn’t we?”
 
“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “What id, you know, Mikmun’s too insecure about me that he’ll forbid you to talk to me or something like that.”
 
She chuckled. “That won’t happen. We’re going to tell them anyways that we were just pretending the whole time.”
 
“Oh.”
 
From the corner of my eye, I saw her glanced at me. “Why? Would you prefer to make it real?”
 
I sharply glance at her as well. “O-of course not! What are you talking about?”
 
She laughed and shook her head. “You’re so fun to bully, aren’t you?”
 
“You should not do that,” I said. “You’re a girl, you’re supposed to be prim and proper, not bullying boys.”
 
She just stuck out her tongue at me. “Since you’re pretty useless here, why don’t you pull Junho back here and entertain Krystal first?”
 
“You’re giving me away in exchange of Lee Junho?”
 
“Yes, unless of course you build up these tents?”
 
“Fine,” I rumbled.
 
So I spent the next few hours again chitchatting with Krystal. Good thing Junho was done setting up the tent. She was still bugging me about setting up my tent beside her and I kept on changing topic. She asked me for a stroll into the forest, to which I obliged. But I was starting to get a bit nervous about it because she kept on touching my arm or my face. Then, afternoon descended. Sooner or later, it will be dark. I told her that we should go back but she said she was too tired and she wanted to sit down first and take a rest. I’m a very suspicious person when it comes to things like these. So instead of settling down beside her on a root, I stretched out my arm lazily.
 
“Ah!” I exclaimed. “I think I hear a stream of water. I’m a bit thirsty, I’ll just go ahead and take a sip.”
 
“But that would be dirty!”
 
“I want to take a bath as well,” I called out, running away from her.
 
“Hey, wait up!” she called up but I didn’t stop.
 
I just randomly ran in all directions. I eventually stopped when I got too tired from running. I looked around and sigh in relief when no sign of Krystal showed up. I looked for a nice little spot to rest. I dropped myself to the ground, leaned my head against the tree and closed my eyes, breathing heavily. And before I even know it, I fell asleep.
 
My eyes fluttered open. What I saw made me jump to my feet. It was getting dark already and I don’t even know how to get back to the camp! Omo, what to do? I hate dark places! What if. . . what if there are female bandits here who would suddenly take a liking into me and snatch me and force me to marry them and produce children with them?
 
HOMAYGHAWD!!!
 
I randomly ran a while ago that I didn’t take note of the direction. I tried retracing my steps but I seemed to go around in circles. Huhuhuhu, what should I do now? As I went round and round, I stumbled upon a small clearing, a lot smaller than where we would stay for the night. I wasn’t really paying that much attention to my surroundings but I heard it, the stream. I was so tired, sweating and thirsty that I followed its direction. I knelt on the side and splash a handful of water to my face. I sighed in relief. It was then that I noticed the water – it was gold!
 
Eh? What?
 
I looked closely. Yes, the water seemed to be glowing. I blinked several times, fascinated. Then, I suddenly jumped to my feet. I have to show this to Sandara Park. Hahaha, I’m pretty sure she’ll be amazed and she’ll wonder how I found it! Hahaha, of course I would tell her that I’m simply good in finding amazing things. I could just imagine her face the moment she would see it. It would be epic for sure! Hahahaha. And I’ll tell her that I had the best instincts and eye flare when it comes to romantic spots and places.
 
I started hearing voices from afar. I looked up and was able to see light coming through the forest. Eh? I can’t believe I actually found myself back! aish, really! When I was looking for the camp a while back, I could not find it but when I was actually looking for Sandara Park, I found myself back to the camp! Tch, how weird!
 
As I burst into the camp, I saw them all busy gathering to the center, where a bonfire was set. I searched for Sandara Park among my schoolmates but was not able to see her anywhere. I frowned at this so I went instead to the two tents set up at the far end corner of the clearing. But she wasn’t in any of the tents.
 
Eh? Where did she go?
 
Ah!
 
Maybe she noticed I was gone for too long and started looking for me? Ah, the girl, seriously! tch, but it’s already dark, she should not wander around the forest alone. Omo, wait, what if she got lost as well and knowing how clumsy that girl can be. . . ah, I should look for her then.
 
I was about to go searching for Sandara Park when I heard an all-too familiar voice call me. “Kwon Jiyong!”
 
I paused and looked back. Vicky was heading towards my direction. “Where have you been? I haven’t seen you for hours.”
 
Eh? She was looking for me? Aigoo! Giddy, giddy. “I was just strolling around,” I said.
 
“Oh, I see,” she smiled. “So, where are you heading now? We’re having a bonfire; don’t you want to join us?”
 
“Of course I would love to. . .” I paused upon remembering Sandara Park. “Erm, have you seen Sandara Park?”
 
She sobered a little. “No,” she answered quietly. “I haven’t seen her for a while.”
 
“Oh,” I mumbled, feeling awkward. Ugh! No man would be happy talking about a different girl in front of the person he likes! Hmph, now what? Ugh, Kwon Jiyong, think! What should I say? I don’t know. “Erm, where’s Mik, I mean Nickhun, by the way?”
 
She frowned. “Hmm, come to think of it, I haven’t seen him for an hour now.”
 
A nagging feeling suddenly came to me and I can’t even understand why that is. But I shrugged it off. “Err, should we go looking for him?”
 
“You’d come with me?”
 
“Of course!” I answered. “I would not allow someone like you enter the forest alone, you know.”
 
She smiled and I felt my heart flutter at it. Vicky smiled at me! HOMAYGAWD! Ottokae, ottokae! My heart. . . ah, it’s slowly dying form giddiness. We then went into a slow walk. “It’s your first time coming with the group, right?”
 
“Yes,” I answered chuckling.
 
“How do you find the others?”
 
“They’re quite. . . .” I paused, looking for the right word.
 
“Chaotic?” she suggested.
 
“You could say that,” I chuckled again. Aigoo, if she could see my face, she’ll surely laugh at how red it is! Then, she suddenly stopped so I stopped as well. Since I was looking at the ground, I wasn’t really sure what made her stop so I glance at her and saw her staring fixedly up ahead. I followed her gaze and through the help of the light coming from the camp, I saw Sandara Park and Mikmun laughing together while heading towards our direction. I sharply glance at Vicky and I saw her eyes narrowed down on Sandara Park. They must have sensed our presence because they stopped as well. The four of us stared at each other. I was staring at Sandara Park while she was glancing back and forth between Vicky and Mikmun. I felt offended that she didn’t even glance at me or acknowledge my presence or even. . . aish, this is offending!
 
“Sandara Park,” I called out and reached out for her wrist. “We need to talk,” I told her and turned to the other two. “Excuse us.”
 
I started pulling Sandara Park with me deeper into the forest. When I was sure that were far enough from the camp, I stopped and faced her. “What was that?”
 
“What was what?” she asked back.
 
“I thought we’re supposed to do this together!” I exclaimed. Somehow, I felt disappointed to see her with Mikmun as I was actually thinking that she was worried for me and was looking for me. And not just that, she hurt my Vicky right in front of my eyes!
 
“And how would you explain you being with Victoria then?” she fired back.
 
“I was looking for you when we bumped into each other. She was looking for Mikmun as well.”
 
She looked away and crossed her arms. I waited for her to say anything but when she didn’t say anything, I sighed wearily.
 
“How would you explain you being with Mikmun then?”
 
“I was looking for you because Krystal came back, annoyed and alone and looking for you. I thought at first you were just hiding from her but when it started getting dark, I started to worry. And knowing how scared you are of dark places and that you don’t have any sense of direction at all and that you’re stupid and brainless, I started searching for you. Khunnie must have seen me enter the forest because he –”
 
“Don’t call him Khunnie,” I interrupted.
 
She looked up and glared. “What should I call him then?”
 
“Frog-looking guy.”
 
“YA!”
 
“Call him anything you want, but just don’t call him Khunnie.”
 
“Fine, Khun must have seen me enter the forest because he followed me and searched for you as well. But when we didn’t find you anywhere, he said that maybe you’ve gone back to the camp.”
 
“What were you talking about then? Why were you laughing?”
 
She looked up at me and frowned. “Is it so wrong to laugh now?”
 
I cleared my throat. “No, of course not.”
 
“What’s the problem then?”
 
“I. . .” I searched for words but when I wasn’t able to find anything, I changed topic. “I have something to show you, come with me!” I said, grabbing her wrist again and dragged her with me. I was so excited that when we reached the place, I pulled off a dramatic, “Ta-da!”
 
But her reaction wasn’t what I’ve expected.
 
“I was just here a while ago,” she said. “Khun showed me this place.”
 
“Oh,” I mumbled and stood awkwardly on my place. I looked up ahead and stared at the thousands of fireflies flying above the water. Their lights seem to flicker. With a sigh, I sat down on the ground with my legs crossed. A while later, Sandara Park sat down beside me.
 
“I think we should stop this,” she said.
 
“Huh?”
 
“I think we should stop this whole acting thing that you’re courting me.”
 
The image of her and Mikmun laughing together a while ago flashed into my mind. She also mentioned just a few seconds ago that Mikmun showed her this place. Did they talk about their feelings again? Did they realize that they still love each other? I wouldn’t really know if I won’t ask would I?
 
“Is it because you and Mikmun have talked it out and decided to get together?”
 
She laughed. “What’s with the face?” she asked. “If that was the case, shouldn’t you be happy that you will be with Victoria now?”
 
I frowned at her. “I don’t understand.”
 
“I think we should go to the next level,” she said. “I think it’ll be more effective if we pretend to be a couple instead of pretending that you’re courting me. In that way, I would be able to demand that you stay by my side all the time and demand you not to talk to any girl I feel insecure to.”
 
Eh?
 
“Huh!” I snorted. “Well, you can’t blame me, can you? Girls simply come to me.”
 
She sighed. “You know, sometimes, I really just want to strangle you to death.”
 
“Girls!” I laughed. “Haha, your specie is so full of insecurities.”
 
“You’re being nonsense again,” she said, stood up and walked out.
 
“Ya!” I called out. “Where are you going?”
 
“I suddenly had the desire to talk to Lee Junho instead of you.”
 
Whuut?!?
 
“Lee Junho?!” I demanded, running after her. “Ya! How could you have the desire to talk to Lee Junho? He’s not even that. . . that pleasant to talk to!”
 
“Why, have you tried talking to him?”
 
“W-well, not really. But I could sense it!”
 
“Well, you’re wrong!”
 
“How can Kwon Jiyong be wrong? Kwon Jiyong can never be wrong!”
 
Well, basically, we argued all the way back to the camp. This is probably one of the huge differences between Sandara Park and Vicky. I bet me and my Vicky would never argue over something, I think I don’t have enough courage to argue with her.
 
Anyways, as soon as we got back, everyone was gathered around the bonfire and was playing the usual dare-or-truth game. Pft, I’m telling you, it’s so high school! Bwahahahaha. Can’t they be more creative? If only I was here earlier on, I would have suggested a more creative game.
 
Upon seeing me, Krystal then grabbed my arm and made me sit next to her, which is in front of Vicky and Mikmun and to which Sandara Park sat as well. I raised my brows at Sandara Park as she sat down beside Mikmun and she just stared back at me as if saying that it’s the only vacant space. Huh, reasons, I wanted to say. But then, she gave me another look and say that she’s not reasoning out.
 
Aish! Are we having some telepathy argument as well? And when did I start reading people’s minds?
 
Eh, wait! I think it’s a newfound talent! Wow, I’m really amazing! Let me see, hmm. . . I looked at my Vicky and she gave me a small smile. I tilted my head to the side. Eh? How come I can’t even think of anything with her expression and how come I can’t read hers? Ooh, maybe it’s some sort of the vampire-thingy movie! What was the title again? Sunlight? Ani, I think it was Sunset! Neh, the lead vampire there could read everyone’s minds except the girl. Maybe I’m the same! But how come I can’t hear the other thoughts? Aish!
 
Maybe I could only read Sandara Park’s mind! Aish, how boring. I pouted and I caught a glimpse of Sandara Park looking at me. I look back at her and face clearly says: stupid.
 
Why this girl!
 
I found that weird, though. How can I - ?
 
My thoughts stopped when the light from the fire danced in Sandara Park’s smooth and luminous face. For a moment, I thought, she’s beautiful. She’s actually more beautiful than. . . . I shook my head. Aish, what am I thinking?!
 
Then, I noticed that everyone’s staring at me. Eh?
 
“Erm, what?” I muttered.
 
“It’s your turn!” Krystal cheerfully said.  “I dare you to kiss the girl you really like.”
 
I blinked my eyes at her. She was looking up at me, with an expression which I think is hopeful. “Dare?” I asked. “But shouldn’t I have the chance to choose between truth or dare?”
 
“You choose dare, fool!” Krystal laughed.
 
Eh? I did? Aigoo, I’ve been too distracted! Tch, aisht, but then, if I have chosen truth, me and Sandara Park would be busted! Hahahaha, my subconscious mind decided to choose dare because of that, I think. I’m really incredible.
 
Krystal’s grip on my arm tightened. I looked around. It’s my time to show Vicky how much I like her, but then. . . I glanced back at Sandara Park and she was giving me a look that I can’t understand but then. . . her face, with the fire dancing in reflection, looked very. . . pretty.
 
How come I didn’t notice it before?
 
But then, I like Vicky, so shouldn’t I. . . .?
 
I stood up. And my eyes stayed on Vicky for a long time. But then, I found myself in kneeling in front of Sandara Park. In a surprisingly hoarse voice, I said, “I like you” before leaning in to kiss her. I intended to give her a peck in her cheek but then, my lips landed on top of hers.
 
And everything broke loose!
 
I don’t know what happened but I just found myself kissing her, my lips gliding smoothly against hers. I cupped her nape to being her closer. She started kissing me back and I could only close my eyes and sigh.
 
But then, I felt myself being pulled away from her. “That’s enough,” Mikmun’s familiar voice came to my ears. “It’s supposed to be just a peck, not French kissing.”
 
“Sorry,” I mumbled. “I wasn’t able to stop myself. I mean, if you kiss your girlfriend, will you be able to control yourself?”
 
“Girlfriend?!
 
“He said what?”
 
“Sandara Park is his girlfriend?”
 
“When did that happen?”
 
Those were just some of the reactions I’ve heard.