The Showdown: Mikmun, The Frog Versus Jiyong, The Tweety Bird Look-Alike (The Beginning)

Crazy Little Thoughts

 

*banner by yeolbeautiful
 
-----
 
 
I cleared my throat, feeling a bit nervous. I can do this! I gave a little strum and took a deep breath. “Hello everyone,” I said through the microphone. “This is Kwon Jiyong. I’m sorry to disturb whatever you guys are doing but I would just want Sandara Park’s attention if just for a few minutes.”
 
I remained silent for a few seconds, letting my words took effect to those who can hear me in the campus. “Sandara Park,” I started again. “I’ve known you for quite some time now but I haven’t had the guts to talk to you. I actually even thought that you didn’t know I exist. I know a person like me might not be worthy of your precious time but if I could just ask a few minutes, just a few minutes to listen to me, to listen to my heart.”
 
I let a few minutes of silence passed by again. And then, I started playing the guitar.
 
You, you little girl with a bright smile to share
You, you little fragile girl with penetrating brown eyes
You, you little girl with a soft and sweet gesture
You, you little sweet girl with a big and genuine heart
 
I’m seeing you, I’m hearing you
I’m feeling you, I’m feeling you
You’re everwhere, everywhere
Can you hear my heart?
 
Tell me, tell me how to make you smile
Tell me, tell me how to wipe those tears
Tell me, tell me how to take the pain away
Tell me, tell me how to make you love me
 
I’m seeing you, I’m hearing you
I’m feeling you, I’m feeling you
You’re everwhere, everywhere
Can you hear my heart?
 
Listen to me, look at me
Can you hear me? Can you see me?
Please listen, please look
I’m here, calling and waiting
 
I’m seeing you, I’m hearing you
I’m feeling you, I’m feeling you
You’re everwhere, everywhere
Can you hear my heart?
 
Can you hear my heart?
Can you hear my heart?
It’s calling for you
Only for you
 
I’m seeing you, I’m hearing you
I’m feeling you, I’m feeling you
You’re everwhere, everywhere
Can you hear my heart?
 
Listen, listen to my heart.
 
 
 
 
 
I received a text message from Sandara Park just a minute after I sang. The message sounded urgent for me and it simply said: Meet me at the rooftop NOW. Aside from the message sounding urgent, I couldn’t really tell what kind of mood she’s in. oh well, I wouldn’t really know if I won’t go right? I’d better check it out then.
 
So, bringing my guitar with me, I went on my way to the rooftop. On my way there, I saw other students staring at me, most especially the girls – they would immediately start whispering and giggling to each other while pointing at me.  I bowed and scratched my head (although I’m not really a shy person, I have to act like I’m being shy with all of this, hehe). As soon as I’ve reached the rooftop, I immediately saw Sandara Park facing the field with her back facing me. She had her arms crossed, based from the position that she’s currently in. I wonder what her facial expression would be.
 
“Ya!” I called. “How was it? You were surprised, weren’t you?”
 
She slowly turned around and the look on her face stopped me in my tracks. Err, well, she didn’t look mad or disappointed or anything like that. It’s just that her face is blank, I could not see anything in her eyes nor in her face at all.
 
I waited for her to speak but when she didn’t move or speak after a few minutes, I started to get awkward. “Err, you didn’t like it?”
 
She didn’t answer.
 
“Well, if you didn’t like it, then you don’t have a good taste with music. I wrote that song, you see. And since I’m pretty talented in everything I do, of course what –”
 
“So, you wrote the song.”
 
“Of course!” I responded. “It was obvious, isn’t it? It was well-written.”
 
“It sounded lame,” she said. “The music and the lyrics sounded lame.”
 
I gasped and stared at her with wide eyes. “What did you say?”
 
“I said your composition sounded lame.”
 
“YA!” I burst out. “HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?! I SPENT ALL NIGHT CREATING THAT SONG FOR YOU AND YOU’RE TELLING ME IT’S LAME?!? WELL, YOU DO HAVE A BAD TASTE IN - !!!”
 
“Well, it sounded lame technically, but if you ask me of my personal opinion, I think it was pretty sweet.”
 
“WELL, HOW COULD YOU – what?”
 
A small smile started to curve her lips. Without any warning, she suddenly ran and threw herself at me. It took me totally off guard that I wasn’t able to get my feet firmly on the ground. I ended up lying on the ground flat on my back with her on top of me, choking me, actually.
 
“Ah, Jiyong,” she said through muffled face since her face was buried in my chest.
 
“Y-ya!” I choked as her arms tightened around my neck. “Y-you’re choking me!”
 
She chuckled and pulled out her arms off my neck and placed them in my chest instead. She rested her chin at the back of her hands and wiggled her eyebrows at me. Sheesh, I feel like being trapped under a merciless abuser of handsome and talented boys!
 
“Don’t give me that look!” I told her. “It’s scaring me!”
 
“Why?” she asked, while wiggling her eyebrows.
 
“You look like you’re going to eat me!”
 
She laughed out loud, you know, the kind of laugh that villainess and evil witches do in movies? Sheesh, goosebumps!
 
“Aigoo,” she said. “You’re so cuuuuuteeee!”
 
I rolled my eyes at her. “I’ve already known that even before I was born. But hey, don’t fall into my cuteness because you’re not my type, okay?”
 
She rolled her eyes back at me as well but then, she suddenly whacked my head. “Stupid,” she murmured.
 
“Ya!” I exclaimed. “Who are you calling stupid? And what was that - ?”
 
The sound of the door opening suddenly stopped me from asking her why she whacked me. We both looked up to the door to see who arrived. And I was pretty surprised in seeing it was Mikmun the frog, my ultimate rival to Vicky.
 
Mikmun looked at us with an expression I couldn’t comprehend. Then, I felt Sandara Park pushed herself off me hurriedly.  “H-hey,” she greeted.
 
Mikmun the frog just nodded to her in response. And I don’t like the way he’s looking at Sandara Park! Why is he staring at her like that? I pushed myself off the ground and patted my bottom. “What are you doing here?” I asked him.
 
Mikmun the frog didn’t even look nor glanced at me when he said, “Did I disturb something important?”
 
“N-no,” Sandara Park answered the same time I said, “Obviously.”
 
Sandara Park glanced at me then back to the guy quickly. “I. . . I tripped and Jiyong caught me. But we ended up. . .” she explained awkwardly, chuckling a little.
 
“I see,” the frog-looking guy said. Then, they stared at each other. It’s as if I’m suddenly a statue who happened to have been in the rooftop. No words were exchanged and I’m starting to feel annoyed for being neglected. Me, the great Kwon Jiyong suddenly became invisible? ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING ME?!
 
I sidestepped towards Sandara Park and placed my arm on her shoulders. “Ehem.”
 
“Ya!” Sandara Park said, elbowing me.
 
“What?” I asked her.
 
“You –” she started but got cut off with the loud ringing of the school bell.
 
“You should go,” the frog told her. “You might be late.”
 
“Yeah,” she smiled. Why, look at this girl! She’s a traitor! A traitor, I say! How can she smile like that at him? The guy would think that she’s still into him and that would not make our jealousy act effective. Aish! Tch, she’s blowing it up!
 
“Ya, Sandara –”
 
“I’ll go ahead!” she chirped, waved at Mikmun then ran away.
 
My eyes went wide as I stared at her back. “YA!” I called but she just disappeared through the door. Did she just ignore me? DID SHE?!?
 
Yes, she did! Why the nerve of that girl! How dare she waved at Mikmun and totally ignore me? She didn’t even say bye-bye or anything like that. aish! She preferred to wave at the frog-looking guy than the perpetually perfect Kwon Jiyong?!? ah, she really have bad taste. Bad taste, I say!
 
BAD TASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
After the thing I just did a while ago, she had the nerve to ignore me? The nerve! I can’t accept this, I can’t digest it! My mind just can’t comprehend what happened! Ah, this is. . .
 
“Don’t misunderstand, Dara.”
 
Eh? Am I having hallucinations? Did I hear someone talk? I looked around me. “Eh?”
 
“Stop acting like you don’t know I’m here.”
 
I straightened up and looked in front me. Oh, I didn’t know frogs can talk. “Oh, you’re here! What did you say again?”
 
“I said don’t misunderstand Dara’s actions.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Dara loves anything romantic,” he said.
 
I pouted. “I know that already. We’re pretty close, you know. She tells me ALL of her likes and dislikes.”
 
“I also did the same thing on her birthday before, I sang for her in a public place. I would hazard a guess that she didn’t tell you that, did she? If she did, you would not do the same act, would you?”
 
He already sang for her in a public place? Aish! I need to talk to that girl. “She told me, of course!” I lied. “But let me just verify, the song you sang to her, did you write and compose that yourself?”
 
“Of course not,” he said. “It’s Dara’s favorite song and it was sang by –”
 
“Well,” I said, pumping my chest out proudly. “The song I sang to her a while ago? I wrote it myself. It’s more personalized, isn’t it? And it’s more romantic.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The day went by like a blur. Of course, I waited for Sandara Park at the school gates as part of our act. Ah, I could just feel my popularity rising up to the sun. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
 
As I’ve waited for her, some of the female students greeted me and bowed at me giddy smiles on their faces. Some went on whispering to each then giggling before looking at me. See, I really am a heartthrob. Hahahahaha.
 
Upon sensing a dark stare thrown at me, I straightened up and looked for the source. The person I saw giving me quite a stare gave me a surprise. Eh? Why would Sandara Park stare at me like that? What did I do wrong now? Despite that, I gave her my most boyish and charming smile (this is without effort guys), and waved at her. “Hello!”
 
She grimaced and looked away but then, she stopped in front of me. “I bet you’re pretty proud of yourself right now.”
 
“Eh?”
 
“All of the girls from my class are talking about you, gushing over you with how romantic and sweet you are.”
 
“Really?” I asked excitedly. Her head suddenly snapped at me and she was giving me another dark glare. “Ya, what’s with that glare?”
 
“You can’t be distracted right now,” she said. “Knowing you, your new-found popularity will surely get into your head and you’ll probably enjoy the girls’ attention. And that’s a distraction.”
 
“Pfft,” I snorted. “Me? Distracted? Huh! Of course not! The only person who would be able to distract me from our act would be Vicky.”
 
“Good,” she then said then she cleared . “Let’s get going then.”
 
“Hand me your things,” I said. I then leaned closer to her to whisper. “This’ll make me look like a gentleman to Vicky, kekeke!”
 
She handed her things to me then started walking ahead. I jogged up to catch up with her. “By the way,” she started. “Krystal invited me to join their trip to –”
 
“Oh, she’s a close friend of my Vicky, right?”
 
Her head snapped to me again, her eyes glaring. “I’m not done talking yet.”
 
“Ya, what’s wrong with you today? You’re so. . . cranky!”
 
She went on walking and looked up ahead. “Like what I’ve said, Krystal invited me to join their nature trip to celebrate her birthday. She said we will go mountain climbing and camping and swimming. . . well, you get the picture. She asked to ask you to come. And since Victoria and Khunnie would be coming too, I said we’ll go.”
 
“Good!”
 
“You don’t have to sound too happy about it,” she then sternly said.
 
“Why not?” I asked. “I mean, that would be a great time to make them jealous. Vicky would be there, Mikmun would be there. . . it’s the perfect timing!”
 
“You’re hopeless,” she said, shaking her head. “I’ve just said, Krystal asked me to make you come as well.”
 
“So?”
 
“Ugh!” she groaned, stomping her feet. “She’s showing interest in you! And she would probably be like a leech in getting your attention and that’s a distraction.”
 
“Ah, you worry too much!” I said, shaking my head. “Oh, I just remembered! Why didn’t you inform me about Mikmun singing a song for you in a public place during your birthday?”
 
“How did you -?”
 
“He told me a while ago.”
 
“Oh,” she mumbled. “Well, it skipped my mind.”
 
“You should not forget to tell me things like that,” I told her. “I should know the things you two did together so I could, you know, think of ways on how to go beyond the things he did.”
 
“Simple things would do,” she sighed. “You don’t have to go beyond the things he did since it’s just an act.”
 
Eh? What’s wrong with her? What’s with this gloomy mood? As far as I remember, she was the one who wanted us to go over the top of the act. “Well, I’m not just doing it for you, you know. I’m doing it for myself and Vicky.”
 
“Fine, suit yourself.”
 
“Ya, why are you so cranky today.”
 
“I’m not.”
 
“Yes, you are!”
 
“No, I’m not.”
 
“You are.”
 
“I’m not.”
 
“Aish! You are being cranky, period!”
 
“I’m not being cranky, period!”
 
“Then why are you acting like you’re in a bad mood then?”
 
She stopped, looked at me and opened to speak but then, she closed it and looked away. “I’m just tired.”
 
I pouted, not satisfied with her answer. But I kept my mouth shut anyways.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Weekend came. I excitedly went over Sandara Park’s house to pick her up. We were going to meet at the main town with the other students from her class for the trip to the mountains! Woohoo, I’m going scavenging! Bwahahahahaha. Sandara Park seemed to be in a lighter mood now but still, I could sense that she’s not that happy with the trip. I wonder why. I tried to cheer her up but it seemed that I’m not being an effective companion at the moment. But when we arrived in the meeting place and she saw Mikmun the frog, she looked more cheerful than before. Tch, maybe she finds frogs adorable, that’s why. But I couldn’t care less. I’m just so immersed to see Vicky so pretty in her cream dress.
 
 
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! She’s so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo….
 
“Hi!” she greeted.
 
“Hello!” I greeted back and immediately seated beside her. “So, we’re going to the mountains, huh?”
 
“Yeah,” she smiled. “I feel like I’m not dressed properly.”
 
I heard someone snorted and I knew who it was but I ignored her. I’ll deal with her later. “No, you look really pretty with your dress.”
 
“Thanks,” she smiled.
 
“Dara. . . .” Mikmun the frog called out. “I have a spare tent with me insect-repellant lotion, if you –”
 
“Dara won’t need any of those,” I interrupted. “I’ve got her covered.”
 
“Just offering,” the guy answered. “Hey Vicky,” he then called out. “Are you sure you don’t want to borrow my rubber shoes? Your heels will be pretty tricky when we’re in the –”
 
“If I were her boyfriend, I would carry her instead rather than ask her to change her shoes.”
 
“Well the thing is, you’re not her boyfriend, are you?”
 
“Just saying,” I shrugged. “I would do the same to Dara, of course.”
 
“Dara loves adventures; she won’t need your help.”
 
“Khunnie,” Vicky suddenly stood up. “Can we talk?”
 
When Vicky and the frog went to a corner to talk, I stood up and shook my head, standing beside Dara. “I don’t really get what Vicky saw in that guy.”
 
“Well, I don’t really get as well what you see in Victoria.”
 
“Ya!” I called out when she suddenly walked away from me and went to greet the newcomers. What did I do wrong now? Why is she being cranky?