Christmas Gift

What is True Love?

It was Christmas eve today and it was snowing heavily outside, though that wasn’t my biggest problem right now, I had after the show three days ago asked the principal if I could get MyungSoo’s home address, which he of course had declined. But after much nagging and some puppy eyes I had finally got it.

And now I was standing outside his apartment, which was located a few blocks away from school. In Apgujeong to be exact, he was what I thought he’d be. Rich. Since the apartments in this part of Seoul were the most expensive in the whole country so yeah, his family had to be really wealthy.

I hesitated a bit before I finally rung the doorbell to his apartment, which was the farthest down the hallway on the 36th floor; if I had counted right the whole apartment building consisted of 40 floors, which meant that MyungSoo’s family practically lived 60-70 meter over ground level. But that wasn’t even the best part, the best part was that they had the Han River has view.

I rang one more time as they might’ve not heard me the first time as I waited and waited. *Was no one home?* I wondered as I placed the cake box on the floor before I sat down next to it. Yes I had baked him cake, I had stayed up all night just to make it and god was it hard. It was my first time ever, but it turned out quite good actually, both the taste and appearance.

But since I pulled an all-nighter it also meant that I were kind of tired as well and I soon felt it as I were sitting there, waiting for someone to open the door. Maybe his parents were just like mine and worked all the time to make a living, even on Christmas Eve. But then, where was MyungSoo?

He couldn’t work today right? I sighed at the thought of him working right now and wondered why he had to work at that place. Weren’t his parents like the other ones at Chungdamn High School?

I picked up my phone from my bag and flipped it open, the picture of MyungSoo and I was still there as I checked the time, 3.47PM. If he was working, then shouldn’t he end soon since it was Christmas and normally the shops would close earlier? We’ll I’ll wait for half an hour more and if he doesn’t turn up then I’m out of here.

After placing the cell phone back in the bag I glanced towards the window and spotted the darkening skies of Seoul with white snow pouring down from above, it was even more beautiful from up here. But because of the day soon turning into night, made my eyelids suddenly feel much heavier, but I tried my best to not fall asleep, maybe because I didn’t want to embarrass myself if I would snore.

*I can’t sleep, I can’t sleep* I murmured under my breath as I tried to stay awake, but it was harder said than done since my eyelids constantly failed on me and it didn’t take long before I actually found myself being in slumber land, dreaming about a happy Christmas with lots of present wrapped in stylish paper under a beautiful decorated tree lit up by twenty light bulbs and surrounded by my parents and me.

But for that to happen, my parents needed to win on the lottery or something like that, because other than that my parents couldn’t afford to be home on Christmas.

I suddenly felt something poking my cheek, causing me to slowly open my eyes while rubbing them as I were still tired before I glanced upwards and gasped. His eyes were piercing into mine and deep down I kind of regretted that I had come here.

“Why are you here?” he snapped and I swallowed down hard as I stood up on my legs and picked up the box with cake in my hands, before I somehow managed to pick up the Christmas gift from my backpack and hand it over to him together with the cake.

“It’s nothing expensive” I laughed awkwardly as he stared at the package that was lying on top of the cake box that he was holding in his right hand, he suddenly handed the cake box back to me before he took the present and started to rip off the paper that the gift was wrapped in.

I looked at him while he was taking the paper away and as soon as it was gone, he just stared at the present.

*Great, he hates it*

He looked up from the gift and took it in his hands and showed it to me, as if it was infected with some deadly virus. “You know that this is a couple bracelet”

“Huh?” I’ve never heard of something called ‘couple bracelets’. By the look on his face I guessed it was apparently something bad to give someone. “It’s something you share with your lover” he said and placed the bracelet back in his hand, *OMO, what have I just done, I gave him something you should share with your lover, and MyungSoo was definitely not my lover*.

“I-I’m sorry I didn’t know the meaning” I apologized and stretched out my left hand to take the bracelet away from him, but he snatched his hand away as he then glanced down on my wrist, the wrist where I had the other part of the two pieced bracelet. *Oh god what have I’ve done* I mentally slapped myself in the head as I looked down on the ground, afraid to meet his intense gaze.

“I n-need to go” I hurried to hand the box with my handmade cake back to him and as I were about to walk away I felt how something grab my left arm, preventing me from taking another step forward. I stared back at my arm and fallowed it back to MyungSoo, who where holding onto it.

“Eat with me”

Did I just hear right or did he, did Kim MyungSoo invite me into his home. The ever so quiet and mysterious MyungSoo invited me into his apartment. I needed a few seconds to actually take it in and for my brain to precede the words ‘eat with me’.

I glanced at the heart that was hanging on the silver bracelet before I looked up at him, his eyes were shining. Just like when he ate the Kimpab earlier this weekend. I couldn’t say no could I, it would be rude and besides, I wanted to see how his family was living. I bet the interior was flawless and high-tech.

“Ok-kay”

He let go of my hand and opened the door with something that looked like a card-key that you slid into a card holder, much like those in the subway, before he opened the door and held it open with the hand he wasn’t holding the cake with and waited for me to step inside.

*Just as I expected* I thought as I saw the beautiful furniture’s and stylish interior that was styled in the latest trends. I guess his parents must’ve spent plenty of money on all this, and yet I’m only standing in the hallway, a bit afraid to step further inside the apartment. *God what if I would break or destroy anything*. I didn’t even want to dream about the prices of all this things, it has to cost hundreds of thousands of won, maybe even millions.

I saw how MyungSoo disappeared, leaving me in the hallway like some idiot that never have been inside an apartment this expensive, well to tell the truth. This was my first time in an apartment or more like, include house as well, that was this expensive. “Come in” he appeared in the doorway with the cake on a plate in his right hand and two plates with forks in his left.

“Yeh” I whispered ever so slightly as I slid out off my shoes and took my jacket off and hung it next to MyungSoo’s, and then placed my backpack on the floor. Before I fallowed after him to the living room, which had a semi large glass table in the middle and two large, more like the two largest couches I’ve ever seen on each side, facing each other. They were so large that you could sleep on it without having to lie like a ball, all crumbled up. I sat down on one of the sofas and patted it lightly, feeling how soft and comfortable it was as MyungSoo sat the cake down on the table and then placed a plate in front of me.

“You didn’t answer my question before” he stated as he sliced the cake and put the piece on my plate before he let the slicer rest on its holder. “Which?” I wondered as I stared down on the cake, it was a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries. Yeah I don’t even know how I managed to get a hold of strawberries at this time of the year.

“Why you are here?”

I sighed, not loudly but he had to have heard it. Well if he wasn’t deaf then maybe he wouldn’t. “I didn’t want to spend the Christmas by myself” I replied and sliced a bit of the cake with my fork before I ate it, it wasn’t the best cake I’ve eaten but on the other hand, not either the worst.

“Your parents, friends, relatives?”

“I don’t have any relatives, my parents are out of the country and you already know that I don’t have any friends” I said straightforward with a saddening heart for the fact that he was probably laughing at me inside. He probably had the coolest family, with a beautiful mom, a gorgeous dad and relatives that were beyond handsome, just like him. And to top it all, they probably didn’t have to worry about money and living through the month.

“I know, you are probably laughing your off over my pathetic life” I snapped, though it wasn’t on purpose, it just escaped and I saw how he glared at me. “Why?”

“Because” I half cried and stuffed another bit of cake in my mouth as I watched how his face hardened and his eyes glistered. He was mad, or to be précis dead angry at me, I just knew he was because I could sense it so well. “So you think that my life is perfect just because I live like this, huh?”

I didn’t know what I was going to answer to that, well to have wealthy parents sure helped a bit, but on the other hand it didn’t mean that you would be and live happily ever after. “I just thought…” I was disturbed by MyungSoo’s brisk voice replying. “You don’t know anything about me or my life, and I don’t even know why you are in my life to begin with. I don’t even know why I’m always getting angry and upset when you are around”.

“I-I think I should go” I whispered almost inaudible as I stood up and proceeded towards the hallway and my winter clothes. “STAY” he shouted, causing me to freeze on the spot. *What should I do?* I asked myself, as I was torn between running away from there or stay with him.

I turned around and looked at him, “why, why should I stay?” I asked as I stared into his eyes, I didn’t need to wait for an answer, his eyes where telling me more than enough of why I should stay. After letting myself getting defeated I returned to my place in the black couch and for the first time I felt my eyelids failing on me again. “How much is the time?” I asked as I noticed that there were no clock in sight and my cell phone was lying safely in my bag.

“It’s 8.40PM” he replied and I saw how he glanced at the half eaten cake on my plate. “I don’t want more” I stated as if I already knew what he was going to ask, he was probably going to ask if I wanted more cake or if he could bring it back to the kitchen. And as I predicted he stood up and brought the cake and plates back to the kitchen as I lied down on my back and stared up on the ceiling. Wondering why he hadn’t talked about his parents at all.

The tiredness took over as I was lying there and I soon traveled towards slumber land and more wonderful dreams.

~~~~

I didn’t even know why I suddenly woke up, after looking around I saw that it was still dark outside and probably still in the middle of the night. But what was I doing here; I was still in MyungSoo’s apartment.

*Crap, I probably fell asleep* I sat up in the couch and noticed that he had put a blanket over me. After rubbing my eyes I glanced over on the other couch and there he was. MyungSoo himself was sleeping on a couch, which was a bit unexpected. I tip-toed over to him before I sat down and put my head on the couch so I could look at his peaceful self.

*Why can’t he be like this when being awake* I thought as I was staring at him intensely, feeling my heart beat like before, it was beating exactly like the time after I jumped down from the school wall. But then again, I was still tired so it wasn’t much admire-Kim-MyungSoo.

Yeah, I think I fell asleep like that, sitting on the floor with only my head on the couch where MyungSoo were sleeping or more like, was sleeping. Since when I woke up, he wasn’t there. I went for a find MyungSoo search and the only thing I earned by that was a note laying on the kitchen counter together with a card-key.

‘I’m sorry about yesterday, take something to eat from the refrigerator and when you go, use the card-key I placed next to this’.