Mystery Boy

What is True Love?

When I returned from the bathroom MyungSoo was gone yet again. What’s with him and suddenly disappearing? And it wasn’t like I had been gone several hours. Well anyhow, I need to go home and take a shower and change clothes. I weren’t too fond of having the same clothes two days in a row.

I snatched a piece of paper that was lying on the kitchen counter and wrote him a small message. ‘I don’t know why you are always disappearing, but then again I guess it’s not my concern, right? Anyhow, as you obviously can see I’m already gone and I’ve taken your key with me. I guess you’ll get it back next time I see you. Annyeong’ I drew a small heart next to the ‘annyeong’ and then left it. Before I exited his apartment and walked towards the subway station a few hundred meters away. I where thankful that the subway wasn’t too far away from his apartment, since it was winter, and cold as hell.

I got home when the clock had hit a bit after 2.00PM, after stripping myself out of the clothes I stepped inside the shower and let the hot water pour onto my freezing skin. It was times like this that you really appreciated a hot shower.

Finishing showering I dried my hair and put on my pajama and went to get something to eat from the refrigerator. I re-heated the rice from yesterday and made some Bibimpab from some of the leftovers that I found, and of course Kimchi on the side to complete it all.

Korean cuisine was sure the best of the best. Nothing could compete with the flavors that Korean food had. Not even pizza or hamburger.

As I was sitting there eating, a light bulb showed over my head. Why didn’t I make some new year’s food to MyungSoo? I smiled at my thoughtfulness and hurried to change out of my clothes and put on some nicer ones. I packed down a dress that I received as a birthday gift last year. It was a simple yet stylish black and white one that ended a bit over the knees, but not that it would look ty in any way. I put down a matching hair band in the bag as well before glancing at my wrist watch.

It had already turned 3.37PM, which made it about eight hours to the New Year and to 2011.
I better get going if I want to get to the market before they close for the day. It was New Years Eve after all and that also meant that they where closing earlier than normal.

The market weren’t too far from my apartment; a five minute walk maybe a minute or two more but that was it. I already knew what I was going to make, a spicy chicken soup as the main dish and then some Kimpab, Kimchi and other food as side dish. And then finishing it all off with an Ice Cream cake, but that one I wouldn’t make since it was quite difficult. At least that’s what my mom said, and I didn’t want to fail, not today.

The only problem was would my money be enough? Hopefully it would.

Grabbing a shopping cart I began my search for the things I needed. It took a while for me to find everything, but when I finally did a hurried to the cashier so I could pay for everything before I went to but the ice cream cake in a nearby store.

“150 000₩ (105$) please” the lady said with a smile after typing in all the food on to the cashier. *So expensive* but then again it wasn’t like it was New Years Eve every day so I slid my card into the slot and entered my pin-code.

After packing the food down in a plastic bag, yeah I where lucky that everything fitted in one, as I had to carry a whole box with a fragile cake soon.

The cake shop weren’t too hard to find and I found myself holding onto the prettiest ice cream cake I’ve ever seen, maybe they prepared it especially for New Year.

It was rather uncomfortable to ride the subway with all the things in my hands plus a stuffed bag as well. When arriving to MyungSoo’s apartment block the security guard let me pass with a smile on his face, which I returned before taking the elevator up to the 36th floor.

As expected, he wasn’t home now either but the note I left before going home wasn’t on the kitchen counter either. Maybe he was home after I left and read the note, or maybe one of his parents did? I had totally forgotten about his parents. What if he was going to eat on a restaurant together with them? And then, when they would return home I would be here with all the food already on the table. If that where to happen I would kill myself, okay maybe not kill myself but I would hide from him the rest of my life.

After putting the cake inside the fridge I checked the time once again, 5.59PM. I got a mere heart attack upon seeing the time. Had it already turned that much? Then why was I just standing there, I needed to start preparing the chicken soup, as in boiling the water and chopping the chicken into the right size. After doing so I added the chicken to the boiling water, before putting in some spices and put the lid on as it had to boil for at least one to two hours to bring all the flavors out.

Which got me a lot of time to make Kimpab, Kimpab was one thing that I knew MyungSoo liked, maybe even loved. Since when he ate the ones I made his eyes shined so brightly, no I’m not praising my food skills, but my astonishment over the fact that he actually liked something.

Anyhow, Kimpab was probably the one and only recipe that I could without having to look in a cookbook. Well thank god for that since it was rather easy after all. It took almost one and a half hour to finish the Kimpab and to make it look eatable. I went to check on the soup, the smell of all the spices mixture with the chicken made my mouth water before I glanced at the clock, which showed that the time where a bit past 8.00PM.

I decided to change into my dress, and after getting it from my bag together with the hair band and my make-up bag I disappeared off towards the bathroom. Just imagine if MyungSoo would come home when I was changing in the living room. That would be 110% humiliation. So to use the bathroom was the safest.

I smiled upon seeing the dress fit perfectly, since I weren’t someone who used dresses that much, well except for some times on the summer when the weather would be too warm to use jeans it made me extra happy. Well then, the only thing left was to put the hair band on and apply some light make-up, nothing too much. Just a little blusher and some mascara.

With that being done I checked on the chicken soup again, after checking that the chicken was well cooked I turned the heat down and let it rest as I went to sit on the living room couch.

After flipping the TV on, I lay down on my back and used my arms as a pillow since it wasn’t like I could sneak inside MyungSoo’s room and snatch a pillow from him, or could I?

Curiosity took the better of me and I found myself soon inside his room, it wasn’t messy at all, as you might’ve expected from a boy his age. But then again, he wasn’t like the boys his age. He was much more mature but also much more mysterious.