Curiosity

What is True Love?

It was Thursday today and tomorrow would be the last day of the finals. It would be the finals in my worst subject, English. Actually it wasn’t like I was afraid that I would fail English, but that my points wouldn’t be as high as in the other subjects.

And since I’ve applied to Kookmin University since they have a really good architecture course there, which means that I needed the best grades possible.

Oh I almost forgot, that tomorrow would mom and dad come home. *Maybe I should call them before the plane leaves*

I started searching for my cell phone that I knew was lying in my bag the last time I checked, which wasn’t too long ago. And I was right; it was lying there, on top of some books. I pressed the ‘mom’ speed dial button and pressed the phone to my right ear as I listened how it peeping once in a while.

“Hello” a female voice sounded on the other end and I smiled before I replied her with a hello in Korean.

“How are you sweetie?”

I gulped down on my saliva; I wanted to tell her about MyungSoo. Or more like I wanted to ask her one thing, but I didn’t know. Maybe it would be stupid to ask?

“I’m good I guess” I murmured into the phone as I fiddled with my pajama and wondered if I should really ask her or not. “You guess? Is something wrong sweetie?” Umma asked and I could hear that she was worried, since she would always have this special tone in her voice.

“Mom, how did you know that you loved dad?” I mentally slapped myself in the head after asking that, since it sounded so weird, or maybe it was just I who thought that it was weird. Anyhow mom started to explain that he was special. “Mum don’t everyone think that the other one is special?” I wanted her to say something a bit more specific. As in how she knew that she was in love with him.

“Yeah I guess” mom laughed and then told me that he was different from other guys she had met before him. She explained that he took really good care of everyone around him, friends, family, strangers. That everyone was worth exactly as much as anyone else. And the way he was when being with her.

“Sweetie why are you wondering, do you like someone?” my mom seemed utterly interested. Seriously if it was someone that was so easy to tell from, like on the way a person acted or talked my mom would win. Always how she would change the tone in her voice depending on the situation.

My mom is like a chameleon, though instead of changing color she changes the tone in her voice all the time.

My cheeks immediately blushed when I told her that I might like someone. “How’s he like?” ha, what was I going to say. You couldn’t put Kim MyungSoo into words; he was far more special for words. He was probably the one and only you would have to meet to actually understand.

“He’s special, really” a smile had unknowingly taken place on my lips as I spoke about him. I didn’t know when it had happened. When I understood that it was something with MyungSoo. Or was it really that I liked him or was that weird feeling when I was around him something else, maybe it was fear. Nah, I didn’t fear him, right?

Well he had scared me some times, quite many times to be exact. Oh god, what if it’s fear that I’m feeling and not ‘that’.

“Honey I need to go, the flight leaves in a couple of hours and we need to pack and all that. Can we talk more when we get home? Is that okay?”

“Its okay mom, bye” I said goodbye before she replied, saying the same and then I hung up. I couldn’t wait until mom and dad would be home. *Awh I didn’t ask her if they bought something for me* I sighed but decided to not call her again, they would be home tomorrow after all. And then I could see and besides it wouldn’t be such a big deal if they haven’t bought anything.

I glanced at the clock hanging over the kitchen table, 11.39PM. Maybe I should go to bed soon, so that I actually get up tomorrow. Instead of oversleeping and getting late, well if I would then I could screw the English test, since you wouldn’t be let in if you arrived late.

Better go wash up and prepare for bed then.

With that done and ten more minutes closer to the school tomorrow I hit the bed and plugged in my earphones into my ears as I put on some music. I always listened to music when I was about to sleep because it made me feel relaxed and also think on something else than school.

Though this time it didn’t quite work, as I wondered when the letter from Kookmin University would arrive. It would be safe to say that it was the only University I wanted to go to. And if I didn’t get in, then I’d have to wait a whole year since I hadn’t applied to any other University. Yeah I may be stubborn or just plain stupid.

*I wonder if MyungSoo have applied to a University? Maybe he’s going to study abroad* even though I wished him the best in life and that he would do whatever he wanted, I still didn’t want him to go. If that was the case, if he would study in some other country far away from Korea.

But I guess, friends stay and go.

Ugh who am I kidding, I don’t have any other friends and it’s not as simple as just go and say hello, can we be friends to a complete stranger. Okay, I don’t want him to go. But on the other hand I can’t decide what he can do and not do.

*Should I ask him?*

Curiosity got the better of me and I found myself texting him, wondering which University he had applied to, that if he had of course. When the cell phone a few minutes later vibrated I let myself take a deep breath before I opened the text and saw what he had wrote.

‘I already got in on Jeju National University, why?’

Okay it wasn’t like he would leave the country completely but almost. Jeju was not mainland Korea but an island. And that also meant that he would leave me and Seoul.

*Great*

I started replying the text, telling him that I just wondered before I told him that I where going to sleep. It didn’t take many seconds before the phone vibrated once again and I immediately opened the message.

‘Okay, night’

I heaved a sigh, I where a bit revealed that he hadn’t asked something more, on why I was wondering that. Well what could I do, some time we had to split. Whatever I liked it or not, though I didn’t think it would be so soon.

“Okay, I need to stop think and sleep” I talked to myself as I took the earphones out off my ears and put the phone on the table standing next to the bed before I lied my head back on the pillow and shut my eyes.