COEX Mall

What is True Love?


It was in the middle of December now and the cold weather had really hit Seoul hard, on the day it could be as cold as 10 degrees but on the other hand, one the nights it could go below minus. It wasn’t that I disliked winter; it was the cold weather that I disliked, because I truly loved the snow. I can still remember when I was 12 years old, when we still lived back in Cheonan and when we would build a snow family.

But every Christmas after that my parents had spent overseas, working and I would be stuck at home. Well at least I had my friends back then, not like now when I had no one.

Well it was only two weeks left until Christmas and it was Sunday today and I thought that I could go and look for a new cell phone that I had saved up money for. It had taken almost six months to do so, but at least I knew how to save up money in order to buy something, not like the students in Chungdamn who could only point at a thing they wanted and say “dad/mom I want that”.

I had sort of already decided what kind of phone I wanted, well sort of; I’m either going to buy a LG lollipop 2 or an Anycall Magic Hole. But of them are super pretty, unlike my current one that is like five years old and so out of date. Plus it’s starting to break, well it sort of already have been half broken for a couple of months. But my family’s money isn’t growing on trees. And therefore I had to save the money myself.

~~~~

I quickly showered and put on a pair of dark-blue slim jeans, a black/white shirt with a medium large bow tie over the chest before I slid into my fluffy uggs and then proceeded to put on my over-sized beige jacket and finished it off with a white beanie and with a pair of earmuffs in a light pink color.

After checking that I had the most important things with me; cell phone, keys, a bottle of water and lastly a pair of warming gloves I took my black bag and put the phone, the water bottle in it and then proceeded out through the door and locked before I stuffed the keys down in the bag as well and then put on the gloves.

The walk to the subway would take about five minutes, which is at this season a great plus since I had a greater chance to not freeze to death on the way there. The place where I would buy my new phone is COEX Mall in Samseong dong, also known as the largest shopping mall in Asia.

I had to take the subway from Hannam to Wangsimni and then from there take Line 2 to Samseong, and it would approximately take fifteen to twenty minutes depending on how crowded it is, which it normally was in the large city of Seoul with more than teen million inhabitants.

And even though I didn’t have that far to the subway I was almost freezing to death when I arrived there. After sliding my subway card through the ticket-holder I searched for the right platform and then boarded the train, which would take me closer towards my destination.

I take this train every morning to school, well it’s only one station to Oksu where I have to change to Line 3 and ride one station to Apgujeong (which is together with Chungdamn dong the riches parts of Seoul) and then walk a bit from there. So I lived quite close to the school itself, though I don’t know if that is an advantage or disadvantage, sometimes it’s definitely the latter one.

“Next; Wangsimni”

I stood up from my seat as the door slid open and I exited the overly crowded train and proceeded towards the next train a couple of hundred meters away and then entered that one, though this time there were no seats. I sighed; I hated to stand up in the train, mainly because of the small, almost insignificant space. And after what seemed like forever the speaker sounded telling me that the next stop would be Samseong and my stop.

Now my biggest problem was to get to COEX Mall, it had been ages since I had been there with my parents. Well they weren’t home that much since they were travelling the world with their job and I, I just didn’t feel like going to malls on my own. But now I had too, or else I would be a phone-less girl in a couple of days, especially since my cell phone is starting to break, bit by bit.

I had found the mall after a minutes of intensive searching, ‘finally’ was the only word running through my mind at that point. Thank god I knew that the cell phone store was on the second floor. While walking towards the store I spotted a really amazing dress, a super cute white chiffon with a huge black ribbon tied under the chest. But the price wasn’t as adorable, 1 600 000₩ (1120$), god who could afford that kind of dress?

Well probably everyone at Chungdamn High School besides me.

After shaking that cute-dress-that-I-can-never-afford out off my mind I stepped on the escalator and glanced around on all the happy people shopping. I spotted a family with two kids, one girl and a boy, seemingly the boy was pulling the girl’s jacket since he was brought up in the dad’s arms. Looking a bit to the right a group of girls were chatting happily, probably about the latest gossip or a new boy band that have debuted, seeing them being all happy caused me to feel a bit burdened, my parents are almost never home, I don’t have a boyfriend nor do I have any friends. Can it get more pathetic than that? Probably not.


My journey towards the second floor ended with me stepping off the escalator and proceeding towards the cell phone store a few hundred meters in the left direction.

*Oh god I can’t wait to hold my new phone in my hands, and looking through all the new features, and to get a camera to take pictures with and also have the ability to listen to music with the built in MP3* I thought as I stepped inside the store and froze. My eyes had to play a trick on me; I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. What was he doing here? Why was Kim MyungSoo here?