Lunch

What is True Love?

It was already Wednesday and in the middle of the school weekend, thus I hadn’t seen MyungSoo anywhere. Maybe he was hiding away in some closet or something so that he didn’t have to see me. Well that wouldn’t be too much of a surprise, since everyone here already hated me to death. I were after all the poor girl who brought disgrace to the whole school, and they, or more like all the students wanted me out, though I don’t know about what the teachers think. Maybe they want me to drop out as well?

“Take out the English books” our English teacher, Park Sa Yeon said and I groaned, I truly despised English because I somewhat couldn’t get the pronunciation right and therefore I also became a laughing manor. Well, as everyone probably already knows; Asians as pronouncing the English letters L and R since we don’t have that in Korean. And since I force myself too much in trying it only gets worse. As in; my tongue doing weird noises, yeah you heard right. When I try too much I always seem to fail.

“Hyun Min-sshi could you please read the text on page 126 out loud” Sa Yeon stated, it wasn’t a question as you might’ve thought, it was an order that you had to fallow or else you’d be sent to the principal’s office for ‘not doing what the teacher tells you to’. Yeah nothing that you would want to do, since it would also be reported home, well at least my parents aren’t as harsh as many others am. And to that I’m truly grateful, but that doesn’t mean that I ditch school and such. I do think that school can be utterly boring some times, but school is also really important if you want to success in life. And therefore I take school seriously.

“And then could Iseul-sshi read the next one”

My heart latterly stopped beating and I swallowed down hard, before slowly beginning the sentence written on the page in front of my eyes. “Du ju waent me tu pikk ju? I caen nebur robe ju as mujs as ju robe mi” (Do you want me to pick you? I can never love you as much as you love me).

*Humiliation NR 2, check*

I heard how the whole classroom erupted in laughter before the bell suddenly rang and the lunch break started, causing every one of them to stand up and finally making way towards the cafeteria to get something to eat. I stayed behind, defeated by the ear-deafening laughter still ringing in my ears. Why couldn’t the winter break start, though even if it was just two weeks with no school, it was still enough for me. Just if I could get away from all this, and finally also graduate in peace together with my parents, at least that was what I where dreaming of. With mom and dad treating me to a restaurant to celebrate my graduation, just like we did when I graduated from middle school, it wasn’t anything fancy; it was just your local restaurant, though that was back in Cheonan.

“Aren’t you eating?” ‘That’ voice appeared again and I turned around, seemingly surprised to hear him say something, and especially since I hadn’t seen him since I bought my new phone. My lovely blue Anycall Magic Hole that MyungSoo himself picked, and now he was standing in the doorway staring at me. Those lifeless eyes were piercing into mine and I felt a chill running down my spine.

“N-no I didn’t bring any food with me” I stated, it was true, I hadn’t brought any food with me to school since I had overslept this morning, and therefore also not had the time to make anything. And the school cafeteria was too pricy for me, seriously who’d buy a sandwich for 30 000₩ (21$), like do they put real Russian caviar one it or what.

I noticed that MyungSoo had stepped further inside the classroom and were now standing next to my seat; I glanced down on his hands and saw that he was holding a box, which he put down on my desk and then glared at me. “Eat this” he simply said before disappearing as quickly as he appeared.

I lessened the clothing and then flapped the box open, and the fresh smell of newly made Kimpab escaped as I stared down on those mouthwatering pieces. I hurried to shout “thank you” and hoped that he was still close enough to hear my gratefulness. I hadn’t eaten this in such a long time that I practically stuffed them inside my mouth and ate.  They tasted so deliciously that they had to be handmade, and sorry mom but these ones are even better than yours. With the last piece running down my throat I closed the lid and patted my tummy, satisfied by the tasteful food.

*I wonder if his mom made those* I wondered as I glanced at the black box with a cherry tree painted on it, the edges of the box where a bit nut off, it was probably one of those things that his mother had used when she was going to school. And with a last look on the beautiful box I wrapped it in the clothing that had been wrapped around from the start.

I needed to give it back to him, but the main question was where he was now? He could be anywhere in the school, maybe he even ditched school and went off somewhere else. Well at least I had to look around and if I didn’t found him, then I could give it back some other day.

~~~~

The fact was, that I hadn’t found him, thus that I had been searching for almost an hour and even asking students of his whereabouts, but no one seemed to know or even care. Though that hadn’t been the worst part, the worst part had been when Eun Yeol and her friends had asked why I wanted to know where he was, what I did after that was something that I wished that I’d never done. I showed them MyungSoo’s lunch box. Yeah, that wasn’t really appreciated by the girls and I had to hurry away before I were slaughtered right there and then.

Hopefully he shows up tomorrow so I can give it back to him, and without having to go through all that trouble again, because I didn’t have that much luck that I could escape furious girls a second time.

I searched for him a second time the next day, and after much searching I found him during lunch break in his homeroom. He where the only one present in the room as I approached him with the lunch box, I don’t think he expected to see me since he looked surprised when I put the box down on his table.

“Thanks for the food, it tasted really good” I thanked him as he shifted his stare from the box to my eyes, the darkness had lessened and they started to show some color, and I unknowingly smiled. His eyes weren’t as dark anymore.

“I bet your mother did them for you” I suddenly said when remembering that my mother used to make Kimpab to me for school lunch. But the reaction from MyungSoo wasn’t what I expected. He slammed the chair back thus making it fall to the floor and hit it with a loud thud as he stood up while glaring at me, his eyes turning back to pitch black before he snatched the lunch box from his table and walked away.

*What just happened?*