New Years Eve

What is True Love?

After returning from MyungSoo’s room I placed the pillow down and laid down once again, I placed my head on his pillow and breathed in the fragrance that arose from it, it had a distinct MyungSoo scent and I smiled childishly and fell asleep like that.

“Who are you?” MyungSoo’s voice where calling far away, causing me to open my eyes and sit up while glancing at him. His eyes doubled sized as he saw that it was me and no one else. “Did something happen?” he suddenly asked, his voice wasn’t harsh, more concerned as he was walking towards me. *Huh? What did he mean by that*

“Have..” he touched my left cheek with his hand and ran his finger under my eye, as if he was wiping a tear away. “You been crying?” he showed me his finger, which was painted black of mascara.

*Crap*

“Aniya, the mascara must’ve smeared out when I was sleeping” I replied as I fidgeted with the end of the dress and I saw that he was checking me out, his eyes wandered up and down my body before he stopped and stared into my eyes. “Why are you dressed like that?”

I couldn’t find myself telling MyungSoo that I had put on this dress just for him, as he would probably think that I were interested in him, not that I was. But it would only be more awkward if I told him so.

“Do I look ugly?” the question slipped from my lips and I couldn’t believe that I had just asked that. I noticed that he blinked his eyes before slowly opening his mouth.

“N-no”

It had been the first time I heard him stutter, was he embarrassed that I where dressed like this? That I wore something different from the usual school uniform, I wasn’t sure but his eyes suddenly left my eyes and landed on the couch. “My pillow?” he snapped his eyes towards me again, he knew that I had been inside his room, and to top that without permission what so ever.

*Crap, crap and crap, why did I have to fall asleep*

“Please don’t..” I began but ended as I searched for the words, “don’t?” he questioned with a raised eyebrow. “Don’t get mad” I cried as I stared down on the floor, fearing the worst. That it would turn out like every other time when I made him angry or upset. That he would leave me, alone and apologetic over what I had done.

A sigh escaped MyungSoo and I knew that he had forgiven me; I just knew it by the fact that his tone where light and nothing like when he was mad. I smiled and turned my attention from the floor to MyungSoo who was standing just in front of me, with his eyes soon piercing into mine.

I didn’t know if I were seeing things but his eyes were slowly starting to show some color, I noticed it the last time I met him too, on Christmas Eve but then I thought it was just a dream of something I wanted to happen. But seeing his eyes now, I knew that it hadn’t been a dream, but reality.

“Go and clean up” I nearly begged him to do as I told him, since I needed to put the food and such on the table. Hopefully he hadn’t noticed that I had cooked, because then my surprise would be all ruined.
MyungSoo looked at me like I was an idiot, or that’s what it felt like at least. “You are weird” he stated before heading towards the bathroom to wash up. Yeah I knew that I was more than weird but that didn’t stop me from being here.

When seeing that he had closed and locked the door I entered the kitchen and started to bring everything from the refrigerator out before I placed the food in bowls and then putting them on the table. The next was to slice the Kimpab rolls into eatable pieces and then also put them on the kitchen table as well. The last food to enter the table was the spicy chicken soup that had been boiling for almost four hours as the clock had turned 10.00PM already.

The shower sound stopped and that meant that he were almost all done, as I placed the last things onto the table and then re-entered the living room that where attached to the kitchen. As I expected, it didn’t take long before MyungSoo came back into the living room. His hair was still a bit wet and was sticking onto his face as small droplets of water ran down his skin.

“Now what?”

I showed him my eye smile before I went up to him, as I stood there I told him to turn around so that he was facing the kitchen. Though my plan weren’t that of him just walking inside the kitchen, no, I had to almost stand on my toes as I put my hands over his eyes so that he couldn’t peek.

“What are you doing?” he wondered as I pushed him forwards, towards the kitchen and the food waiting inside.

“Just walk” and so he did, we entered the kitchen and I took my hands away so that he could see everything that I had prepared. He stepped closer to the table and looked at the food before glancing back at me.

“You made this?” his voice sounded surprised yet sort of amused, maybe he actually could be happy for once, even if it was just for today.

I nodded and sat down on the chair opposite of the other one, and it wasn’t before now that I noticed that it was only two chairs around the kitchen table. *Weird* I thought but didn’t think more about that after seeing how MyungSoo was taking a spoon full of the chicken soup and ate it. He didn’t make any weird faces or run to the sink, maybe it was eatable after all. I soon followed his actions as I started to eat too. The soup tasted really good but the best was still the Kimpab, nothing on this table could beat it.

Even though MyungSoo was discreetly eating his food it was more than noticeable that he enjoyed it, and that made me even happier. That he actually seemed to like the food I prepared.

After we had eaten I hushed MyungSoo out off the kitchen and told him to watch some TV as I had one more surprise left. But before that, I needed to wash up the dishes that was lying in the sink and standing on the table. And with that done I glanced at the clock, the time had already hit 11.10PM and it was only 50 minutes left of the year.

“MyungSoo-sshi you can come” I half shouted from inside the kitchen as I placed the ice cream cake on the table. It was still as beautiful as it was when I bought it a couple of hours ago.

The look on his face as he saw the cake was something I could live on forever, it was the look of a child that had gotten the best gift ever, and even though he wasn’t smiling. I knew he was smiling through his eyes as he stared at the cake and sat down on the same chair he had been seated on before.

“Why are you still using sshi after my name?” he suddenly asked as he sliced a piece of the cake and put it on my plate before he sliced one for himself. “I don’t know, maybe because we don’t know each other that well to talk informal” I replied and then stuffed a cake piece in my mouth and ate.

“You seriously are weird, you don’t know me that well and still you have slept in my house two days and you are always talking to me in school, isn’t that a tiny bit weird?”

He was right, it was weird that I still used honorifics when talking to him after that I had slept over at his house two days, okay it wasn’t like I had pleaded to him that I wanted to sleep over. It had just happen. Still, it had been safer to use honorifics as he might’ve taken it as I where rude.

“Okay then, I’ll stop with the sshi after you’re name then” I said and then finished eating as all the cake on my plate was gone. I checked the time one more time, god I couldn’t even count on how many times I had starred on the clock today, 10? 20? I didn’t know as the clock sported the time of 11.50PM. Only ten minutes left.

“Hurry I want to watch the fireworks” I clapped my hands together in excitement as I put the left over cake inside the fridge again and then went to get my cell phone from my bag. I dialed the number to my mom and pressed the phone to my ear as I heard the signals going through. Hopefully she would have time to pick up too, what could the time be in America, morning?

Luckily for me she picked up, it sounded like as if I woke her up since she had that ‘I-just-woke-up’ tone as she said a simple hello in English.

“Mom it’s me” I said in Korean, I didn’t want to humiliate myself even more by trying to speak in English. “Ah Iseul is it really you, I haven’t heard your voice in such a long time. How are you sweetie?”

My heart was pained by the voice of my mom; of course it would since I missed her dearly. But hopefully she and dad would come home in less than a month.

“I’m great mom” I replied as I glanced at MyungSoo who was standing next to me on the balcony, thought it was freezing cold in just a summer dress I tried to endure it the best I could. MyungSoo was the only reason why I felt this happy. He was my first real friend here, if you could call him friend that is.

“That’s great to hear sweetie” my mother stated through the phone as I saw how the first fireworks where lighting up the Seoul heaven. “Mom I need to go” I said in a hurry since I wanted to fully watch the fireworks without having to talk to someone through the phone at the same time. “Okay, but I need to tell you that we are flying home on January the 13th”

“Okay, bye” I tried to hurry up as much possible and before I shut the phone close I heard a faint goodbye from my mom.

It didn’t take long before I started to shatter my teeth’s as we where standing there, 70 meters over the ground on his balcony in the middle of the ice cold winter. It wasn’t normal to use a summer dress in this kind of weather and boy did I understand why.

“Happy Ne…” I froze; my whole body froze as I felt something wrapping itself around my waist from behind. I glanced down on his arm and noticed the bracelet I gave him on Christmas Eve before I looked over my shoulder and saw MyungSoo’s face just in front of me. I felt how my heart jumped as I turned my head the other way, in the direction of where I could see the fireworks as I felt how he placed his head on my shoulder. “I didn’t think you would use the bracelet” I whispered through the wind as I could feel the warmth of his body pressing against my back, and also how his heart was pounding in slow steady beats. “Why not?” he asked as I felt how he tightened his grip around my waist.

“Because it’s a cou…” I was interrupted by MyungSoo’s voice asking me to make a wish.

“What kind of wish?” I questioned and totally forgot about what I where going to ask him as I wondered what kind of wish it could be.

“Anything”

“Then I wi…” I where abruptly cut short as he told me to not say it out loud, but just to think it. I had nodded my head slightly as a reply before I shut my eyes.

*I wish to get a boyfriend this year* I thought and then slowly opened my eyes to the sight of fireworks still going off. This was absolutely the best New Years Eve ever; not only because of MyungSoo’s company, but because of that Seoul seemed to completely stand still the moment fireworks enlightened the dark sky. It looked like a rainbow with all the colors.

“Have you made your wish?” I asked him and soon heard a light ‘hm’ sound coming from him. “Do you think it’ll come true?”

“Hopefully” his reply got me nervous as I wondered what his wish had been, was it that he hoped to graduate with perfect grades or was it something completely else. “Yours, do you think it’ll come true?” I didn’t even need to think about what my answer to his question would be.

“Probably not” I sighed deep.