42.

Girlfriend For Sale

 

On the way to your house, Ljoe was playing with his fingers behind his back. He tried to hide his nervousness with his poker face but after knowing him for a while and living with him, you can see through him. You grabbed his hands and gave him a warm smile. “It’ll be fine. If you’re scared we can always tell them we’re not free and go back now.” You took out your phone to call one of your sisters but Ljoe used his free hand to push your hand down lightly.

“We already told them we’re going. It’ll seem bad if we suddenly say we had something on. I’ll be fine later on, don’t worry.” He assured you and you sighed. *I hope everything’s gonna be fine.*

 

-----

 

“Byul!! And Ljoe! You’re here!!” The professor opened the door and welcomed you guys warmly. “Hey ahjusshi, I missed you!” You went over to give him a hug. He chuckled and ruffled your hair. “Aigoo didn’t we have dinner just two weeks ago? Come on, sit! Dinner’s ready!!” He motioned for Ljoe to follow.

Dinner soon commenced and Minji was the first to break the ice with Ljoe. “So, Ljoe right? What do you think of our Byul?” She asked and your eyes widened and darted over to the professor, scared that he would catch onto something, but he was just casually eating his dinner. *I need to stop over-reacting.* you sighed.

“She’s great. She’s smart, cute, pretty, and the best girlfriend a guy could ever have.” He smiled affectionately at you and you blushed and tried to hide your face by eating mouthfuls of rice.

“Byul-ah, is he treating you well?” The professor suddenly asked and you raised your eyebrows. “Eh? He treats me well; better than well actually. He treats me like how a real boyfriend should.”

Ljoe took a piece of chicken and placed it in your bowl. “You should eat more, you’re too skinny. You like chicken right?” He smiled and you did the same to him. “You too, you eat waaaaay too little! It’s like I’m a glutton or something whenever we go out together.” You grumbled and took a few more other dishes and put it in his bowl until it was overflowing. “There! All the nutrients you need to grow tall.” You patted his head and he tried to glare at you but ended up laughing slightly. “Yah! I’m still taller than you!” “Arrasseo arrasseo, but you have to eat more if you wanna be taller!”

You and Ljoe kept teasing and giving each other food, as if you were in your own bubble, oblivious to the other people around the table. The professor watched on in interest as he ate a mouthful of rice. *This is going better than I thought.*

“Ugh spare my eyes I don’t need to be reminded I’m still single!” Hyejung groaned loudly and just looked at her. “Well pray hard that there’s a new customer soon that will pick you!” You stuck your tongue out and continued eating.

 

After dinner, your sisters were catching up with you and occasionally talking to Ljoe in the living room when the professor came in. “Aigoo why do I always have to wash the dishes everytime? I cook for you guys already! Isn’t that enough?” He complained and Jungmi just grinned. “Ahjusshi is the best, so he does everything in the house! Isn’t that right?” She did aegyo and the professor immediately softened. “Fine fine. Oh right, uh... L-something, is it? Come with me for a while please.” He pointed at Ljoe and asked him to follow him to his office. “Aye ahjusshi! It’s Ljoe!! But why do you need to see him for?” You asked.

“Just something. Don’t worry I won’t eat him up. Come on. And the rest of you, don’t even THINK of coming up and eavesdropping.” He stated sternly and wagged his fingers at you and went up the stairs. Ljoe looked at you and your sisters for answers but they all just shrugged, even you. “Just follow him. I’m sure it’s nothing.” You assured and gave him a small push. He stood up and went up, following the professor.

He took two deep breaths and knocked on the office door. “Come in.” The professor hollered from inside and Ljoe took another deep breath before opening the door.

He closed the door behind him and tried to act as calm as possible. Of course it was quite easy since he was used to putting on a poker face in front of everyone. After all, his cold emotionless face was his trademark.

“You wanted to see me?” He asked unsurely and the professor nodded. “Sit first.” He motioned to the seat in front and Ljoe sat down.

“So, I see that you have a bit of affection for Byul?” the professor folded his hands on the table and asked bluntly. “Yes. I like her. No, I love her. I know it’s against the rules for a customer to be together with his rental girlfriend, but Byul has to get married someday. All of them do. You don’t expect them to be working for you even when they’re 40, do you? Even if they agree, I doubt anybody would still want rental girlfriends that already have an age.” Ljoe said with confidence and the professor just smirked and leaned back on his chair. *This is interesting.*

“Well, I have to agree with you on that last point. But hey, don’t get defensive yet, I only asked a simple question.” The professor’s lips quirked up amusedly and Ljoe cleared his throat awkwardly.

“So, you said you love Byul? How do you prove it?” The professor questioned and Ljoe thought for a while. “I’ll prove it to you in one way or another. By the end of the 100 days, I’ll show that we are really in love and go out with Byul officially – not as her customer but as her boyfriend.” Ljoe said determinedly and the professor just nodded.

“Alright.” Ljoe’s eyes widened at the simple answer but put his poker face back on. “I’ll see you after the 100 days are up then. Hopefully you’ll treat Byul well during this time. She’s hurt easily, if you haven’t realized. She cries even at the slightest touching scene on tv. So I hope you’ll hold true to your words and make Byul happy and prove to me your words are not just empty words, arrasseo?”

Ljoe could not help but let his jaw drop at the professor’s answer. “Oh, and don’t tell them what I discussed with you, alright? Take it as a secret between guys.” The professor smiled amicably and Ljoe nodded.

“Ofcourse. I won’t let you down! I’ll prove it so that you will entrust Byul to me. Don’t worry, Byul will be like a princess when she’s with me; she has always been.” Ljoe whispered the last part and the professor smiled, pleased with his answer. “Well, it’s getting late. You should go home already, you guys still have school tomorrow.” The professor stood up and walked towards the door. “It was nice having this talk with you.” He gave Ljoe a pat on the back, opened the door and walked out.