03.

Girlfriend For Sale

 

Ljoe checked the address and was sure this was the right place. He wasn’t expecting a normal house to greet him; he was expecting something more of a shop. He heard a bit of bickering from outside and contemplated whether he should ring the doorbell or not. He rang it in the end, and heard a bit of shuffling before a middle-aged man with old-fashion glasses opened the door and greeted him. “Welcome to Happy Love!” Ljoe widened his eyes and glanced at the man before him from head to toe. “I’ve been expecting you. Come in!” He stood aside to let Ljoe in. He took off his shoes and stepped inside unsurely. He looked around and it looks just like a normal house. Doesn’t seem like there was any business being held there at all. Nonetheless, the professor took a folder and led Ljoe to the dining table and asked him to sit down. “well, I bet a young lad like you would like a noona?” Ljoe shook his head. He actually don’t really like the idea of dating someone older than himself, unlike his friends. The professor nodded his head. “It’s okay. Hmm… would you like someone young, cute and innocent?” He nodded his head slowly. It was totally his type. “Well, how about this girl? I bet she’s the right girlfriend for you.” He flipped to your page and showed Ljoe your statistics. Ljoe read in silence. ‘height 160cm. not too tall, checked. Big doe eyes, checked. Looks innocent and kind of cute as well, checked. Wonder how’s her personality…’ Ljoe thought and mentally ticked his imaginary checklist in his head.

On the other hand, you and your sisters were peeking from upstairs. “Hey this guy looks cute! I wonder who would he pick…” Hyejung said. “I hope he likes noonas! I think I’m older than him.” Minji piped in. “Puh-lease. He would probably like someone who’s young, like me!” Jungmi argued back. You took a peek and you had to admit, he was pretty cute and handsome. While your sisters argued quietly about who might the new customer pick, you were silently watching Ljoe and the professor talk. Minji suddenly nudged you, diverting your attention from them. “Who do you think will be the lucky one?” “I don’t know either. Guess we’ll just have to wait a little while more.” You answered and looked down again.

Ljoe looked up from the file and asked the professor “What kind of personality does she have?” “Oh don’t worry! All the girls here have a really nice personality, they’re very kind at heart and nice to everyone, especially her.” Ljoe nodded his head. “I’ll take her then.” The professor cheered in his head and smiled brightly at Ljoe. “Okay! I’ll bring her down later. But first, you’d have to know about the rules.” Ljoe tilted his head. “Rules? I thought I’d just pay and I’ll have a girlfriend?” The professor laughed. “Well, it’s not exactly that easy. We have a contract for all our customers to sign and abide to.” He took out a stack of papers from underneath his seat and placed it in front of Ljoe. “First of all, you can choose to pay on the spot later when you meet her or opt for the seven-day trial. As we’re scared that you might not be satisfied with the girl you’ve chosen, there will be a trial period of a week. After that, you have to come back and buy her if you are satisfied with her. However, if you don’t return her within a week and you’re not satisfied, we’re going to take it that you’re gonna buy her anyway. Also, there’s a time limit of 100 days that you can have her, including the 7 trial days, of course. After the 100 days, no matter how much you like her and whatever, she has to come back.” “And if she doesn’t…?” Ljoe asked cautiously and the professor laughed. “She will come back on her own, don’t need to worry about that. Our girls are trained to have no feelings and/or attatchments to their customers whatsoever. She’ll just be your temporary girlfriend for 100 days, and after that, you’d have to return her.” The professor elaborated and Ljoe thought a while before nodding. He didn’t think that he would fall for you anyways; he has never fallen for anyone before. Besides, he just needed someone to go out with him, like how his friends have their flings. Also, having a girlfriend means that no fangirls would bother him anymore. “Okay, wait here. I’ll go bring her down.” The professor smiled and went up the stairs.

“Oh! Ahjusshi’s coming up! Does that mean he has chosen someone already?” Hyejin asked. Just then, the professor appeared next to them. “Yes, he has chosen. Hanbyul, go down with me.” Your eyes widened. “M-me?” He nodded and gestured you to go down. “Ah I’m so jealous! You get to have a cute boyfriend for three months!” Hyejin pouted and you laughed. “You had three before, and you want this one as well?” “well… having more cute ex-boyfriends doesn’t hurt.” She smiled meekly and you flicked her forehead and went down.

“Ah sir? This is Hanbyul, the one you chose.” Ljoe turned around and was stunned by your beauty. You looked even prettier than in the picture. You stuck out your hand shyly and smiled. “Hi, I’m Jung Hanbyul, and I’ll be your girlfriend for the next three months if you like me.” Ljoe smiled, you were the first girl who treated him so normally and never scream in his face at all. “How much is she?”