33

The First and The Last

“How was it?” was the first question that given to us from the girls when we just arrived at the hotel where they stayed at. We merely smiled as Jessica slung her arm around my neck and brought me closer to her. All of them had their mouths hanged open before they jumped on us, hugging us and saying “congratulations!”.

 

Jessica told them all; how the intense moments went, especially when I got called by Mr. and Mrs. Jung. In the same time as I caught Taeyeon’s gaze at me, she smiled. Her smile was like telling me how she was happy that we finally got what we wanted after years. Everything we had been through was buried in a box. They were became a memories—memories that will remain in our heart as a struggle.

 

Until Taeyeon gave me a sign to follow her to veranda. And I did what she told me. Both of us standing in the veranda with the evening breeze hitting our skin, the view of city filled by lights illuminated it, and the silence between us—it was silent yet so comfortable to be in between. Then Taeyeon started to speak.

 

“You finally feel relieved, don’t you?”

 

“I do.” I said without switching my gaze from the beautiful sight in front of me. It was stuck at one point. “It’s like the black hole in my heart is now closed. Completely closed.”

 

“I’m so glad to hear that.”

 

“I want to thank you for everything.”

 

Taeyeon twisted her head, looking at me with her round eyes. “I didn’t do anything?”

 

“Yes you did. You slapped me very hard, Taengoo. You kept making me not to stop to reach my goal, no matter how hard it would me.”

 

“That’s what friends are for.” She smiled and patted my back. “I’m so sorry for calling you stupid by the way.”

 

“It’s okay. I was stupid.”

 

“Was?”

 

I eyed her, trying to understand what she meant. Until I saw her grin and she burst out laughing.

 

“Damn you, Kim Taeyeon!”

 

*

 

On a clear afternoon, we gathered in the living room of Jung’s mansion. There was Mr. and Mrs. Jung sitting in the sofa with Hara’s parents next to them, not forgetting Hara between her parents. And Jessica, Krystal, and I sat in another L-shaped sofa. We were gathered here for signing the divorce papers.

 

I can see Hara’s swollen eyes that probably she was crying for the past few days since Jessica decided to divorce her. Jessica will be free after this and she won’t be in the cage anymore, confining her will to do anything she wants; or to be exact, to love anyone she loves.

 

Hara was sobbing so hard when Mr. Jung pushed the paper toward her. Her hands were trembling while signing the paper. Tears were flowing out of her eyes—and honestly, she was like crying blood to me.

 

She hugged Mrs. Goo after she signed the paper and her mother was rubbing her back to calm her down.

 

When it was coming to Jessica’s turn to sign, she held my hand while signing. That was very sweet of her for doing that. It was so different when Hara wasted a lot of time to sign that and Jessica immediately signed it—with no doubt. Well, everything was based on love, wasn’t it?

 

Mr. and Mrs. Goo stood up, walking toward me while smiling. I didn’t know if they sincerity did that or not, but I replied their smile.

 

“Please make Jessica to be happy.”

 

I smiled, “I will.”

 

And Hara kept crying as she followed her parents.

 

It felt different as they disappeared from the room. I can felt my victory for officialy owning Jessica. No more stupid weird feelings that sometimes felt like it was hanged in my heart.

 

I turned around, only to see Mr. and Mrs. Jung’s smile, and Krystal’s as well. Sadly their only son was in Korea.

 

They were all smiling at me and nothing was relieving than that.

 

“Welcome to the family, Tiffany.”

 

*

 

A question still stuck in my head: who the hell released Hara?


*

 

This evening, I woke up only to find an empty side of the king-sized bed in Jessica’s room. Windows and curtains were all opened, giving the room so much coolness around it. So that was why I felt cold when I was in my slumber. I pushed my body up, looking for my girlfriend in every corner of her room but I couldn’t find her. I was alone since I didn’t know when.

 

“Jessi?” I walked toward the veranda and poked out my head to see if she was there. But the veranda was empty. Her cigarette wasn’t in the small circle table either when it used to be there every day she took her quality time with those burning sticks.

 

Remembering how large Jung’s mansion was, it made me lazy to find her where she could be anywhere. But I knew I had to.

 

Before I reach for the white silk bathrobe on the hanger, my eyes caught a pink and small paper on the night stand next to the bed. My eyes furrowed. Could it be Jessica’s message about where she went?

 

I unfolded the paper and found Jessica’s tidy handwriting.

 

“Good evening, beautiful. Go take a bath once you read this. Stink! :p”

 

“What the hell?”

 

I put the paper down on the table and head to grab the bathrobe, but I dashed to the nightstand and lifted up the paper once again.

 

“Oh my god it’s pink!”

 

*

 

I stepped out of the shower as I pluck the towel over my head. I had no idea what Jessica was going to do with that paper. Why didn’t she just text me instead of writing on a note? There was a possibility I didn’t see that paper, though. Then when I was about to use the hairdryer, I found another pink paper on the dry sink. Folded again like the other one.

 

“Have you took a shower? If you have, please find Soojung. You will need her help for this. Love ya <3”

 

“Seriously, what the hell is she planning to?” I quickly dried my hair, searching for Jessica’s oversized sweater in her wardrobe, and going out to find Krystal. “You have to pay for it, Jessi.” I murmured as I walked through the corridor and searched for Krystal.

 

*

 

“Does anyone see Krystal?” She shook her head.

 

I asked the same question to the men who were cleaning the cars. Again, they shook their head means they didn’t know. How to find the oldest daughter where I couldn’t find the youngest one first? Until I twisted my head to someone who just called my name with her sweet voice.

 

It was Mrs. Jung.

 

“What are you looking for, Tiffany?” She asked as she strolled toward me.

 

“I’m looking for Krystal. Do you see her, ma’am?”

 

She craned her head to her sides, looking for Krystal as well. Ah, even her mom didn’t know where she was. Evidently these sisters loves playing hide-and-seek.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t help you. But you may see her in her room.”

 

Oh, I hadn’t checked her room, though. Probably it will help me. I thanked Mrs. Jung before walking to the upstairs to Krystal’s room.

 

There it was. A door with “KRYSTAL’S” wooden plate tacked on the material. I sighed before gave the door knocks.

 

“Come in.” This brat….

 

She was sitting there, in her single sleeper couch, reading a book with denim shorts and tanktop. Wow okay, she made me searching for her in this huge mansion while she was chilling out in her room.

 

“You and your sister surely have to pay for what you two have done to me.”

 

“I didn’t do anything…”

 

Krystal looked at me with her innocent look and probably she used it as a disguise. I won’t get tricked, heh. Not long after I placed my bum on the comfy sofa, Krystal grinning and stood up, walking to her dresser, bringing up some dresses and makeup accessories. “What are you doing?”

 

“Stay still, unnie. I’ve always wanted to do this.”

 

“Do what?”

 

“Apply makeup on people.”

 

“I-I don’t want to be your guinea pig!”

 

“You won’t! Trust me.”

 

“Jessica said I will need your help for something. Tell me what is it first!”

 

Krsytal kneeled down in front of me as she placed her hands on my thighs. That smile grew wider each time my brows furrowed.

 

“Yes, you will need my help. So sit down and let Miss Krystal to do her experiment first, then she will tell you what Jessica-unnie has told her.”

 

And I did what she told me: sitting in her comfy sofa, letting her to do whatever she wants even though probably she would make to be a clown because she looked so untrustworthy about this. And when she was finished with the makeup, she told me to try some (expensive) dresses and choose one to be worn. I never thought that Krystal could did some makeup things. Probably she had practiced.

 

The result wasn’t that bad. Even it looked amazing. And I misunderstood her.

 

And I can clearly see through the mirror that the little Jung smiling proudly behind me. She cleaned up the mess she made before handing me a same pink paper like those ones that I found on the nightstand and in the bathroom.

 

“Ask Krystal to take you to the garage.”

 

I lifted the paper and showed it to the little Jung who was furrowing her eyebrows for a few seconds to comprehend Jessica’s message, but then it disappeared as she slipped her arm around mine and walked to the garage together.

 

Funny how Krystal didn’t say anything about all of this. And these papers? Really, Jessica? What are you planning to do though?

 

As we arrived at the garage, there was a white Audi Q7 waiting for us. The middle aged guy with a flat cap on his head bowed at us and opened the door of the backseat. Krystal pushed me all of sudden, making me to get into the car and looking at her with my eyes widened. Obviously disoriented with her action.

 

She waved her hand toward me. “Bye bye, unnie!”

 

“W-Wait, Krystal! Why aren’t you coming with me!?”

 

She merely smiled and left me with this middle aged guy who was just stepped into the driver seat, turning on the engine and immediately left the garage. Why didn’t I even exit the car before this dude take me away from the mansion?

 

*

 

After we went through the districts of the city, the lamps in the streets were finally . It was getting darker and darker each time I realize we passed the crowded district to the quiet and dark district. I was scared. So damn scared. Where the hell did this guy going to take me? Because I think this car was the only moving thing around.

 

There was no one outside the car. Only the driver and me. What was this place, Jessica Jung!!?

 

“W-Where are you going to take me?” My voice croaked. I finally got the courage to ask him. But he merely zipped his mouth. He didn’t say anything and I groaned, silently cursing. Until I vaguely hear a wave sound.

 

Wait? A beach?

 

And not far from where our car was at, I saw a bright house nearby. It was more like a modern beach house. Then I snapped out of my thoughts about that house when the middle aged guy opened the door for me, right in front of the main door of the house. Is this some kind of joke?

 

“Here.” That guy gave me the same pink paper like Krystal did. I unfolded it and got another message in it.

 

“Once you stepped in front of the main door, look at your right and you will see a stoned path. It will guide you to somewhere around this house. Go follow it :)”

 

I did what she told me through that pink paper. I made my way across the stoned path that will bring me to somewhere in this house, that probably will be the backyard of this house. But I was wrong. The stoned path stopped at the end of the backyard. And when I lifted my head, all I can see was a beach and an endless sky above me with a bright moon right in my sight. I got mesmerized by the view until I finally felt a pair of hands slipped around my waist and a soft breath brushed against my neck, making me to jerk up because of the sudden action.

 

Her giggle was so clear since her lips were close to my ear.

 

“Jessi, you scared the hell out of me!” I slapped her hand, causing her to grimace.

 

“I’m sorry. I thought you like surprise?”

 

“I do, but I hate something appears from behind. It’s so creepy.”

 

Jessica giggled again and muttered ‘sorry’ to me.

 

“Now what’s your plan?” She didn’t answer me but held my hand, guiding me to another stoned path that I didn’t notice that it was there. Until we arrived at the veranda with beach views and a dining table with a candle and a bucket of roses in the middle of it. And there were like four dim lamps on the corner of the railings accompanying us here, so it wasn’t that dark. It was so sweet for Jessica to do that.

 

She dragged the chair for me to sit, with that sweet smile of hers still painted on her face. How unfair for me that Jessica wore a flower printed and grey blazer wrapped around her, while I was wearing a red short dress without a blazer to warm me up. But I didn’t bother to think about it once I realize this was the first time I saw her wearing a dress. She looked so beautiful.

 

Then two girls that probably Jessica’s maid came out from the kitchen and placed the appetizers on the table. That was quick. And as they finished, they left us alone in the veranda.

 

Jessica looked at me intently with her cheek placed against her palm, that somehow she made me nervous all of sudden—even I can felt my face heated up.

 

“W-What?” I asked her, without looking at her in the eye because I couldn’t do that. My eyes refused to look at her beautiful dark blue eyes.

 

“You looks so beautiful with red lipstick. I’ve never seen this side of you.”

 

“I know. Lucky it looks good on me. Thanks to your sister, though.” Jessica chuckled again as she brought up the food to and munched it.

 

“What is this about, Jessi?”

 

“Celebration.”

 

“Why didn’t you just tell me that you will hold this kind of dinner to me?” I asked. “So I won’t get curious and scared in the same time whenever I found those pink papers.”

 

“I wanted it to be a surprise. Simple as that.”

 

Once we finished the appetizers, then the same girls came out again and brought the main dishes. And they went away again, leaving us alone.

 

“You don’t know how anxious I was when your driver brought me here. Since everything was so empty and quiet. I thought he would kidnap me or something.”

 

She laughed really hard this time and I didn’t know why. “He’s the best man I have ever had, Tiff. He wouldn’t do anything bad to people.”

 

I mumbled, knowing nothing to say. And suddenly we fell into an atmosphere where we talked and laughed together, just like the old days we had. I would say that this was the best thing I had ever had. Nothing can buy this kind of happiness when I was with Jessica. We had shared so much laugh and tears. It became her happiness is my happiness and her sadness is my sadness as well.

 

Until both of us left a small chuckle from our lips and that damn stare of Jessica wouldn’t look away from me. I felt nervous and she should have known that.

 

Before I even said anything, she dragged her hand across the table to hold mine. Again, the smile hadn’t went away from her face and it kept making my heart beat faster and faster each seconds. Smiling Jessica was so attractive!

 

“Tiffany, we might not spend a lot of time like you did with your ex-fiance,” she stopped, inhaling and exhaling the air through her nose. “three years with him and two months with me. But, I realize how that short period for us to get to know each other was like so damn long that I think I enjoyed every precious moments with you.”

 

“It’s like, even in that short period, I know you very much. Well, that’s what I feel, though. You may not think the same way like I do. But I feel that I know you very much.” I can felt her hands started to shake all of sudden—they were cold and sweating as well.

 

“I just want you to know that I love you very much. More than anyone in this world.”

 

Here she goes. Cheesy Jessica. But it wasn’t like I hate it, though. I love it.

 

I didn’t allow her to continue her words because I got up of my seat and immediately kissed her. I knew it. I knew every words that she was going to say and I didn’t need them right now because I already know it.

 

“I know, Jessi. I know.”

 

“I just wanted to make sure you hear it again this time.”

 

I merely smiled as I caressed those soft and puffy cheeks of Jessica. I ran my thumb to the corner of her lips because I found my red lipstick smudged on it. Her eyes were like she was getting inside of me. I had no idea that a simple eyecontact could so much.

 

Jessica held both of my hands again, bringing them up to kiss them before her eyes switched to something behind me. She looked giving a sign to someone. Until I realize she was now holding a red small box with whatever that thing inside of it.

 

My heartbeat quickened. Never thought that this thing will be happened today. Right now. This time. This evening, where I thought it would be only a celebration dinner.

 

Jessica flicked the box with her thumb and it opened, showing me a beautiful ring.

 

My mouth like zipped because I couldn’t utter any words since I saw that ring. Neither Jessica said something. She pulled me closer to her embrace and pointed to the dark seashore.

 

How that dark seashore was now had changed to be bright because those candles illuminating the dark sides. How captivatingly the sight was. And as I carefully read the text that composed by those candles, I literally gasped.

 

“TIFFANY HWANG, WILL YOU MARRY ME?” said the text.

 

I immediately turned to Jessica with my hand still covering my mouth. She looked at me lovingly as she brought up the ring from its place and held my hands.

 

“I don't want to waste the time anymore. Will you marry me, Hwang Tiffany?”

 

I can’t describe how I felt this time because so many things mixed up in my mind. I didn't know these words will come at me tonight. It took me a while to respond Jessica’s confessions, and my mind was finally working properly. I threw my arms around her neck and hugged her.

 

“Of course I will!”

 

 

 

TBC

a/n: updated! heheh finally finally finally! i was too excited while writing this and didn't realize that i had wrote this much... i hope you don't get bored with it :) sorry for grammar error! do PM me if you don't understand something :) have a nice weekend <3