16

The First and The Last

Weekdays already. Weekends flew so fast that I think I wasn’t be able to rest because I kept with Jessica; fooling around, watching some DVDs in a day, and went out to a mall or restaurant for dinner or lunch. But I had a lot of fun, as long as I'm with her.

 

She bought a couple rings. One with a Jess carved on the ring, and the other one with Tiff. Of course I got the “Jess” one and Jessica got my name. Isn’t she so sweet? And she bought me a necklace that I had been wanted to buy since ages, but it was so expensive. I didn’t want to spend my money on a stuff like that. But looked like Jessica awared that I kept my eyes on that necklace when we passed by the shop yesterday and voila! She bought it in surprise.

 

When I just arrived in the office, I saw a small paper bag with that red box wrapped with pink ribbon, and it was a necklace that I wanted. Until I saw a pink note besides the red box.

 

“Good morning, sweet heart <3

You wanted this necklace, weren’t you?

I knew you keep eyeing it yesterday ;p

 

 

Xoxo

Jessi <3”

 

She was sweet, right? And she was full of surprise. I hadn’t thanked her though, so I decided to visit her office instead of send her a message. 

 

I arrived in the floor of Jessica’s office. Oh, Jessica just renovated her office. Her office was moved to the top floor of this building and only few people that have an access to get there (including me, Yuri, Sooyoung, Taeyeon, Sunny, Krystal). She used a fingerprint scan to get to her office room.

 

By the way, I didn’t know the reason why there were two bouncers in front of Jessica’s office. They never stood there before. This floor was isolated that I think Jessica didn’t need bouncers to guard her room.

 

“Who are you?” Ask one of those bouncer. He looked like a grumpy man.

 

“I’m Tiffany Hwang.”

 

“Aren’t you Miss Jung’s girlfriend?”

 

“Wow, you knew me.” Well, I saw he rolled his eyes. Really, if you want my hand to land on your face, I’d love to do it because my hand was already clenched for you.

 

“Miss Jung isn’t here right now.”

 

“Really? Do you know where she went to?”

 

“We have no idea about it. Maybe you can call her manager or somebody else.” The other bouncer added—the nicer one because he was smiling when he said that. He looked a kind man. But I was afraid he was just flirting with me.

 

“Wow, that’s surprising a girlfriend doesn’t know where her girlfriend went to.”

 

“I don’t know if my hand suddenly move by itself and punch you hard in the face.”

 

“Woah, I’m so scared.” He mocked me again. This time, I raised my right hand and punched him on the face. I swore to God I used every strength in my body to punch him. This bouncer was so annoying as and why the hell Jessica hired him to guard her room? Didn’t she interview him first?

 

His back hit the wall. I saw him rubbing his cheek, the place where I punched him. Even though he gave me a glare, I wasn't scared at all because he deserved it. I never punch someone and that was the first time in my life and it was a big guy. I feel so proud.

 

“Thank you for the information about Jessica,” I smiled nicely to the other bouncer, which the nicer one. “and please teach your friend some manners.”

 

I left them and went down by the elevator. Really, I hope I won’t see him again in the future. He was the worst bouncer ever. I decided to call Jessica first before going out to find her.

 

Hello, this is Jessica. I’m busy right now. Try to call me again later.”

 

I sighed as I slide my phone into the pocket. She didn’t leave any tracks where she went to and what she was doing right now. Jessica used to tell me in the morning though.

 

“Oi, Tiffany!” I heard a call from behind and it was Yuri. Perhaps she know where Jessica was.

 

“Ah, Yuri. You came in the perfect time.”

 

“What?”

 

“Do you know where Jessica is? I can’t find her in the office and everywhere.”

 

“I don’t know. I think she has some meetings to be done today. She didn’t come here today though.”

 

“Really?” Yuri nodded confidently.

 

“I didn’t see her car in the parking lot as well. Have you tried calling her?”

 

“I have, but seems her phone is off.”

 

“Don’t worry, she won’t cheat on you.” Yuri giggled. Cute.

 

“That’s not what I worried about.”

 

“What else besides it? Your girlfriend gone without telling you anything and I bet your instinct went to cheat thingy.” She was correct. But no, I know Jessica won’t do that.

 

Yeah, she won’t.

 

“You got me.”

 

“Trust me, she is a loyal person.” How could I don’t trust Yuri? She knew Jessica more than me because she was her bestfriend. I meant, Yuri know Jessica first than me. Sometimes I get jealous because she know something about Jessica that I don’t.

 

“It’s okay, I know that.” I patted her shoulder and walks away. Maybe Yuri was right. I shouldn’t worry about her. Jessica was on meeting, wasn’t she? Perhaps she didn’t have a time to text me because she was lazy or sleepy. I knew she would tell me about it later, when we meet.

 

*

 

“Unnie,” I twisted my head to see Yoona who stuck her head in to my room.

 

“What?”

 

“I’m hungry. Don’t you have anything to be eaten?”

 

“I thought you already had your dinner with Yuri and Krystal.” I closed my laptop and got off of my bed. Looked like I need to feed this shikshin, but I was too lazy to cook something.

 

“I had, but, you know the dragon inside of me need to be filled at least three times in a day.”

 

“Ew,”

 

“Don’t ew-ed me.” She slapped my wrist.

 

“How about buy a pizza? I don’t know what to cook.”

 

“You lazy.”

 

“Yeah, thank you.”

 

“Sheesh.” Yoona got off of the sofa and reached for the phone to delivery a pizza. I slumped down on the sofa, turning the tv on. Jessica hadn’t called me until this time. I had left a voicemail, but not sure if she already get it.

 

I sighed deeply. Really, I was lying if I say that I don’t miss her. I hadn’t heard her voice today. I hadn’t hugged her, hadn’t kissed her, hadn’t smelled her scent. Argh! Why is she doing this to me?

 

Yoona laid down on my lap as she chews something—it looks like a Pocky though. She is singing along to the TV when it showed a music video. Yoona was in happy mode right now. It was pretty obvious. I wondered what Yuri had done to her.

 

“You looks happy, Yoong.”

 

“Am I really obvious?” She turned her head to me, facing me with that smile appeared on her face.

 

“Totally.” She grinned, but not telling me what happened to her. It was alright. I wasn't going to force her to tell me even though I was quite curious.

 

“I don’t know if it wrong or not, but I felt so happy when Yuri told me she love me. Many guys had been said that to me, but when Yuri was the one who told me that, it feels so different.” Yoona eyes slowly moved to mine, eyeing me as she tried to make me to believe what she said. And those sparkles in her eyes couldn’t lie.

 

“I know, you have told me.”

 

“I love her so much, Unnie. I don’t know what to do if someday I lose her. What if she leave me for another woman or man because I’m not good enough for her? I often thinking those thoughts and it kills me.” She buried her face on the palms.

 

“Don’t think too far, Yoona. Sometimes it create something you don’t want to happen. Take an example, Yuri leave you for another woman or man.”

 

She brought the pillow closer to her, slowly exhaling through her nose. I brushed her hair as she close her eyes.

 

“It’s okay. Just enjoy what happens now even though sometime you need to worry about the future, but don’t think it too deep. Positive thinking, Yoong.” And after awhile, I could see Yoona is smiling again. Thank God.

 

“Yeah, you’re right.  Positive thinking is all I need.”

 

“That’s my Yoong.”

 

“Wow, it sounds like you are my mom.”

 

“Shut up, I’m trying to cheer you up here.” She laughed and got off of my lap. It was because she heard her phone was ringing in her room. I sighed, remembering what I just said to Yoona before. It was just slipped out of my mouth. Even though it was easy to be told, but it was hard to be done. All of my negative thoughts were almost pilled up in my mind and I know I have to get rid of it. But…

 

Positive thinking, huh?

 

*

 

I heard my phone ringing on the nightstand. Yoona groaned because it was noisy and she almost hit me with her palm. I had no idea who the hell calling me in—I glanced at the clock on the wall and it said 2 AM. Well, who the hell was calling me at two in the morning?

 

I wasn't able to open my eyes and answer the call without looking at the screen.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Is this Miss Hwang?”

 

“Yeah, this is me. Who is this?”

 

“I’m the bartender who called you few months ago. Miss Jessica is drunk again in our bar and she in unconscious,” not again. “I hope you don’t mind to pick her up since we are going to close the bar early tonight.”

 

“Okay, I will be there in 15 minutes. Please take care of her.” I got off of the bed and reached for my coat in the hanger. Yoona turned her body to me once she felt the bed was shaking because of my movement.

 

“Where are you going, unnie?”

 

“Pick Jessica up. She is drunk in the bar again and unconscious.”

 

“Again?” I nodded as I grab my car’s key. “I want to go with you.” Yoona got up, fumbling the floor with her feet to search her slippers.

 

“It’s okay, you have morning class tomorrow, right? You better sleep.”

 

“No, it’s two in the morning. Too dangerous for you to get out alone.”

 

I smiled. She insisted to come with me. I didn’t mind about it though, as long as she won’t sleep during lectures tomorrow. We went off to the bar to pick Jessica up. I hope her condition wasn't that bad. When I stepped in to the bar, I saw that bartender on the table, cleaning it up while she was waiting for me.

 

“Thank you for taking care of Jessica.”

 

“No problem. I’m sorry I disturbed your sleep, but I can’t help it since your name was the top of her caller list, so I decided to call you.”

 

“It’s okay. Thank you once again.” I lifted Jessica’s arm and wrapped it around my neck while Yoona grabbing the other one. The bartender smiled as she walked us to the front door. She was the nicest bartender I’ve ever met. But before I hopped in to my car, she asked something to me.

 

“May I ask something?”

 

“Of course. What is it?”

 

“Are you Miss Jessica’s girlfriend?”

 

I kept silent, looking at the bartender who looked kind of scared when she asked that. And I could see Yoona slightly jumped hearing the question. She knew that I was afraid of a stranger knows my relationship with Jessica. It was because Jessica’s reputation. An owner of famous company dating an ordinary girl.

 

“How did you know?”

 

“Your name is the only one in Miss Jessica’s callers list. And it happened too when she was drunk few months ago.” It was so unexpected. I didn’t even know Jessica does that because I never check out her phone as well. “Doesn’t it means you are Miss Jessica’s special person?”

 

I smiled, “You have caught me and I’m not going to lie. Yes, I’m her girlfriend.” And after I said that, she smiled as well. It was such an innocent smile and it made me believe her.

 

“But please don’t tell anyone about it. You understand why I said that.”

 

“Yeah, I won’t.”

 

“Thanks.” And I hopped in to my car, leaving her alone in front of the bar. I had a feeling I can trust her, but I don’t know if someday I found my feeling is wrong.

 

I drove home and placed Jessica on my bed. She was snoring lightly. Just by seeing her sleeping face, I could smiling endlessly. Jessica looked so cute when she was sleeping and it makes me want to pinch her cheeks until she wake up. But I couldn’t do that. Perhaps Jessica was so tired and ended up in the bar to release her stress by drinking.

 

Her face was red. I didn’t know if it was because of the coldness or she was drunk. Or maybe both of them. Slowly, I took off her jacket and threw it on the floor. I frowned once I heard something hit the floor. It came from Jessica’s jacket. I picked it up and fumbled the pockets. I could feel something like a box inside of it.

 

What a surprise, it was a pack of cigarettes. There was only one inside of it and I bet she had used all of them. I sighed. Jessica smokes. It was something that I have never imagined because I hate a smoker. And now, I have a girlfriend that likes to smoke. Jessica doesn’t look like one. She could hold her lust of smoking in front of me and everyone. I had no idea where she went to smoke and I think I didn’t find any cigarettes or asthrays in her apartment. Or I haven’t found it. Maybe she was hiding it. I remembered a month ago, before I was dating Jessica, Taeyeon asked me about smokers thingy. So this was what she meant. Jessica is a smoker.

 

Perhaps it was a karma for hating smokers and I shouldn’t feel that way to them. Now karma was hitting on me.

 

I hung the jacket and put down the pack of cigarettes in my drawer. I kind of feel disappointed, but I remember of what I said to Yoona before. Positive thinking. Maybe Jessica smokes when she was tired or stress. But on a second thought, she doesn’t need to smoke to release her stress, does she? Ah, positive thinking, positive thinking.

 

I got into the blanket, wrapping myself with it. I leaned closer to Jessica, kissing her cheek and forehead before I close my eyes. I was so happy that I could sleeping with her tonight.

 

“I love you.”

 

*

 

I narrowed my eyes as I could feel the light went through my curtains. Looked like someone had gotten up and immediately opened the curtains. I turned around to avoid the sunlight. I heard a giggle right after.

 

“Wake up, Fany-ah. It’s seven in the morning or else you will be late for work.” I don’t feel like to go working today. I’m so sleepy. But I got up, rubbing my eyes before I could see a figure who was already sat in the edge of the bed. She was staring at me as she wanted something from me. And I knew what she meant when she leaned closer. I covered with my palm, holding her back from what she was going to do.

 

“No morning kiss. I haven’t brushed my teeth yet.”

 

“Then go brush your teeth. I want my morning kiss.”

 

“I thought you are used with not getting a kiss in the morning from me.”

 

“But you are here with me. Is it wrong for asking a kiss from my girlfriend?”

 

“Let me brush my teeth first.” I got off of the bed and walked to the bathroom, brushing my teeth. And when I was done, I saw Jessica was still sitting in the edge of the bed. Waiting patiently for me. I walked towards her, crawling up onto her lap and kissing her lips.

 

I pushed her to the bed as I keep staring at her. She removed my hair to the side for a better view of my face. This was such a stupid feeling, but I feel pretty when she was the one who get rid of my hair and tuck it behind my ear. Slowly, I buried my face on her neck, snuggling onto it as I wrapped my hands around her. It feels so good being on top.

 

“Jessi,”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Thank you so much for the necklace and the couple rings.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay. I knew you wanted the necklace so much, right?”

 

“And I’m wondering, where did you know?”

 

“Oh please, we passed that shop several times and you kept your eyes on this necklace.” I blushed hearing her confession. I think I was too obvious, but of course I didn’t expect that Jessica would bought one for me.

 

“But I didn’t expect you will buy it for me.”

 

“I will do anything for you, to see your smile and of course to make you happy.” Dear Lord, my girlfriend is so sweet and lovely. I hugged her even more because I don’t know how to express my gratitude to her.

 

“Thank you once again.”

 

“No problem, Fany-ah.” We fell into a silence for few minutes, but she broke it. “Could we have breakfast? I think my stomach is growling already.”

 

I chuckled and got off of her, walking towards the kitchen. Cereals would be perfect for today’s breakfast. Jessica sat on the chair, watching me as I poured the cereal to the bowls. And not long after it, Yoona came out from her room and sat next to Jessica. Her eyes still closed, until Jessica pinched her cheek to wake her up. Looked like it was hard because her cheek became so red.

 

Once we finished breakfast, Yoona leaned her head down on the table once again. She was damn sleepy.

 

“Yoong, you better get hurry or you will be late for school.” And she stood up, walking toward her room, leaving me and Jessica. Suddenly I remembered about last night. Yes, that pack of cigarettes. I got off of the chair, wandering into my room to get that pack. Of course I hid it in my pocket first. I needed to ask few questions to her. This was like an interrogation and I felt nervous.

 

“Jessi,”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can you tell me where did you go yesterday? You didn’t send me a single message as well.” She stopped scooping her food and I didn’t know why she acted like that. Something fishy.

 

“I’m sorry, I met my friend and my phone was off.”

 

“So you didn’t get my voicemail as well?”

 

“I received it this morning when I was about to text Krystal. Sorry.” I hummed as I stir the spoon in the bowl, playing it because I have nothing to do. I was waiting to the right moment to ask Jessica about the cigarettes. She lowered her head and I feel bad seeing it. It was like she was scared of my questions.

 

“Jessi,”

 

“Yeah?” She answered it, but she keep her head low.

 

“Look at me.”

 

Slowly she raised her head up, looking at me in the eye with those scared eyes. I had a feeling that she felt guilty for not telling me what happened to her yesterday.

 

“Can I ask you something? I promise this is the last.” And she nodded. I pulled the box out of my pocket and put it on the table. I swore to God Jessica’s eyes widened as she saw that pack of cigarettes on the table. I see.

 

“Is this yours?” Silence. I could see she gulps her saliva down as I keep looking at her. “because I swear this is not mine. Hell, I don’t smoke.”

 

She didn't answer, but I clearly know her answer. I rose from my seat, moving to the chair next to her. I leaned closer, looking at her in the eye even though it was clear enough she is avoiding it.

 

“Jessi, please be honest to me. Did you smoke?”

 

“Y-yes, I did.” Her voice cracked. It relieved me, rather than she choose to lying because she is scared of me. Now I know the truth from her own mouth.

 

“Good.”

 

“Are you mad?”

 

“Mad? What for? You have smoked and there’s nothing to be mad about.” I’m not mad. Just disappointed.

 

“I know you hate smokers.”

 

“You knew it yet you still did it.”

 

“I do it when I’m stress or tired.”

 

“You could have told me and I’ll help you with something I can do, but not smoking, Jessi.”

 

“It was a habit when I wasn’t yet dating you!” I noticed her voice was getting higher.

 

“So, old habit dies hard you mean?”

 

“Whatever.” She slammed the table before rosed from her seat, walking towards my room. Looked like she was going to pick her stuffs and go out of my house. I sighed and dropped my body down into the chair, putting my face on my palms as I realize this was the first time we fought and it was happened just because a small thing. I knew I was being childish because I magnified this problem. For a while, I forgot that she might be tired or stressed out because of her work and I shouldn’t have bring up that issue.

 

I was being selfish here.

 

She walked out of my room with her jacket wrapped around her and her hand holding the phone and wallet. I knew she was mad. I grabbed her hand, stopping her from what she is going to do.

 

“Don’t go.”

 

“Let me go, Tiffany.” She was just called my name and it hurts me, a lot. Just by hearing my name being called by Jessica with that cold tone, it could bring me into the deepest sadness. It was almost monotone and it wasn’t like the way Jessica used to call me. She called me Fany-ah, not Tiffany. And  with a lovely tone, not with that monotonous tone.

 

I got up of my seat, slowly wrapping my hands around Jessica. I knew she was mad because I kept scolding her and not letting her to explain.

 

“I’m sorry, Jessi. I was out of line.” She kept quiet and I hugged her even more.

 

“Please, let me go. I want to go home.”

 

This time I released her, letting her go out of my house. When the door was closed, I feel so weak knowing that Jessica wasn't around me anymore. Why did I do something stupid? I could have controlled my emotion..

 

It makes me even more lazy to go to work today.

 

*

 

I sighed as I place my tray on the table. For the first time in ages I eat in the cafeteria again, and alone. I hadn’t met her since I arrived here and when I was about to meet her in the office, she locked the room and I couldn’t get in. I sighed again, my appetite was gone.

 

Until I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was Taeyeon. She popped out of the blue and took the seat next to me after she put her tray down on the table. That smile on her face disappeared and changed into the confused one once she saw my face.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong with you? You look awful.”

 

Just by hearing her question, I sighed again for the third time. Taeyeon become more puzzled and she keep shut for few minutes. I knew what she was doing right now. Reading my mind. It was the quickest way to get to know what I was thinking about because I feel like I don’t want to talk.

 

“Ooh,”

 

I raised my eyebrows. Taeyeon got it already and that was quite fast.

 

“You got into a fight with Jessica earlier? Because of smoking thing?” I nodded.

 

“And you don’t know how to apologize to her?” I nodded again.

 

“I know this happened because of my fault. My stupidity for not knowing the reason why she smoked. I could have controlled my emotion.”

 

“Sometimes an unknown feelings come to control you and make something you wish didn’t happen.”

 

“I wish I didn’t do that to Jessica. I mean yelled at her.”

 

“Did you hate smokers that much?”

 

“Yeah, but I don’t know the exact reason for hating them. I just… hate them.”

 

“Everything happens for a reason, Tiffany.”

 

“But I can’t remember what the reason is.”

 

Taeyeon leaned back to the chair, stirring the tea with the spoon as she is waiting for my next words. I was quite lose of words to be honest. I didn’t know what to talk to Taeyeon even though I really want to say or ask something about this. I just can’t put it into words.

 

“Maybe karma is hitting on me.”

 

“Yes, it is.”

 

“I hate smokers and now my girlfriend is a smoker.”

 

“Let me tell you something, Jessica is the type who barely smoke. She only do it when she’s stress.” So Jessica was true. “She is not a maniac of cigarettes.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Nah, and now, why don’t you try to apologize after lunch?” Taeyeon smiled at me as she place her cheek on her fist.

 

*

 

Here I am, in front of Jessica’s office with Taeyeon. I knew Jessica wouldn’t open the door if I was the one who ask her (in this condition), so Taeyeon came to help me. She was about to knock on the door, but I realize something. Her door was not locked.

 

“It’s not locked, Taeng.”

 

“That’s good. Just come in then.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Good luck.”

 

“Thank you, Taeng.” I said as I knock on the door. Taeyeon left me and walked to the elevator. I got an approval from Jessica and I opened the door. But once I stepped into her office, I realized we weren't alone. In that room, we had a guest other than her bodyguards.

 

There was a woman with light brown sweater and wore jeans. She tied up her hair, looking so cute and young. I think she was the same age with Jessica. That girl was standing next to Jessica, placing her jaw on Jessica’s expensive leather office chair. They looked so close.

 

Jessica’s friend?

 

“H-hi, Jessi.” I greeted her awkwardly. Because I can’t just run to her and hug her. There was another woman in this room and I didn’t know who she was. Jessica’s face looked unpleased seeing my attendance in her room. It hurt me. But I can't give up now.

 

“Could you go out for awhile, Miss Hwang? I will call you later.” Miss Hwang?

 

Really, I think I hurt Jessica that much until she acted this way. God was fair. He let me to feel what Jessica felt this morning, exactly when we fought in my apartment. I nodded and held the door knob. But when I was about to step out, that girl said something.

 

“Wait, is she your friend, Sica?” S-Sica? Wasn’t it a nickname?

 

Jessica didn't say something and I didn’t know what she was doing. The room went silent for few seconds. No one talks.

 

“You need to introduce her to me.”

 

“Why should I?” Her cold tone was no joke. I never know this side of Jessica. She was a different person.

 

“You forgot about what we just talked? Gather all of our friends to attend our event.” What? What event?

 

That cute girl walked towards me and I could see Jessica was trying to catch her up before she do or say something. That girl kept smiling at me. Her smile was so angelic and dangerous. But I think Jessica’s was more dangerous. She held out her hand, to have a handshake with me.

 

“Hi, I’m Hara. What is your name?”

 

“I-I’m Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang.”

 

“Are you Jessica’s friend?” I didn’t answer her question. I was afraid I would do something wrong again and hurt Jessica’s heart more. I trusted Jessica. I really do. She loved me more than anyone in this world, right?

 

“Well, nice to meet you, Tiffany.”

 

“Yeah, nice to meet you too, Miss Hara. Are you Miss Jessica’s friend?”

 

She shook her head and it made my heart go thump-thump. What was she if she wasn’t Jessica’s friend? And finally I realized I made a mistake for asking that question to her. Sometime it was better not to know, than you do and it hurt you.

 

“I’m Jessica’s fiancé.”

 

 

 

 

TBC

a/n: hi hi hi! omg i feel this chapter is such a fail >< but i hope you guys like it. if you don't understand something, just send me a PM, okay? :DD and sorry for grammar error. *sorry, i'm in hurry but i need to update this first* LOL