31

The First and The Last

I opened my eyes, scanning the white room as I blinked several times. I was in the hotel where Yuri and friends stay in, since Jessica insisted to book one for us. I didn’t refuse as well because I was too tired to get back to Jessica’s office where that witch was probably still there.

 

This morning felt so cold because I felt my living blanket wasn’t wrapped around me when I opened my eyes. Idly, I brushed the blanket off of my body and got up to find Jessica. Until I saw the door of the veranda was opened, giving me the fresh morning air of California.

 

Before stepping out to the veranda, I leaned myself in the doorway, looking at my girlfriend who was so engrossed up the toxins to her lungs and exhaling the smoke through —or sometimes through her nose. Her arms crossed on the railings, sometimes the one with cigarette between her fingers lifted up to place the burning stick between her lips.

 

This was the first time I caught her smoking, though.

 

Suddenly, the door where I leaned on moved and made a noise, causing Jessica to turn her head at me. Her poker face was there until she realized I was watching her smoking. All of sudden, her moves began to get frantic. Jessica immediately pushed the cigarette against the surface of the ashtray, extinguish the the burning stick.

 

“G-Good morning, Tiffany.” She was scared.

 

“Morning.” I replied shortly as I walked closer to her, making her to gulp.

 

We didn’t say anything as we stood side by side, locking our eyes at nowhere in the city, feeling the cold breeze hitting our skin and making me to shiver from head to toe. Probably Jessica noticed that, because not longer after that, I can feel her arms slipped around my waist, bringing me closer to her.

 

I can clearly feel her soft breath against my neck and her arms hugging me tighter. Obviously I smell Jessica’s scent because she was so close, but I found it so good. Her perfume mixed with the smell of the cigarette.

 

I couldn’t do anything but luxuriate the warmth and comfort of Jessica’s presence. And I realized we fell into a silent atmosphere in the veranda. Neither of us utter words and enjoyed the morning breeze of the city in a hug.

 

Then I realized this was the best thing ever.

 

*

 

“So, what’s your plan to against your parents?” Yuri asked to Jessica who was munching a bread. We were having breakfast together.

 

Jessica sighed as she put down her bread on the white plate. “’Against’ is the worst word to describe what I’m going to do, Yul.”

 

“But you are going to against your parents’ volition.” Taeyeon added, making Jessica to sigh for the second time. It was either Jessica scared of her parents’ if they didn’t like Jessica’s decision to divorce with Hara or she was scared of being rebellious daughter.

 

Or maybe both.

 

No one among us know what will happen next. Although Taeyeon could read everything, but she didn’t do that, yet.

 

I patted Jessica’s back, leaning on her shoulder to chill her. She was afraid because we will be out to her parent’s house in a few minutes, exactly after all of us finished having breakfast.

 

“It’s okay. Let’s pray for the best.” I whispered as I planted a chaste kiss on her lips.

 

Jessica merely replied “I know,” in a quiet way.

 

*

 

“Good morning, Miss Jessica. Welcome home!” said an old man as he opened the door for us. Jessica only smiled and nodded toward him while she kept dragging me along her huge mansion, exactly to where her parents were. It felt like Jessica was so hurried but I knew she wanted everything to be ended fast.

 

Her parents’ answer about all of this was everything she needs right now.

 

It was either yes or no.

 

Yes meant for my happiness with Jessica. And No meant for a dark hole where both of us will fall together.

 

Jessica stopped her steps, causing me to bump on her as I fell into my own world while walking.

 

“Listen, I will get in to meet them first and I will call you once I have finished it.”

 

I’d be lying if I couldn’t feel Jessica’s cold and sweaty hands. She was freaking scared in some ways. Before answering her, I pulled her closer by the hand and kissed her lips. I just had to ease the fears in her because they were so obvious and I was afraid if she couldn’t do her job well and messed everything up.

 

Her tense shoulders slowly relaxed, signing me that she was already less nervous. Until she pulled her head away, looking at me with those beautiful dark blue eyes of hers which always be my favorite.

 

“Everything is gonna be okay. Trust me.” I said while caressing her puffy cheeks. Her hands never leave mine and held it tighter before she released them and walked to the room.

 

She was nervous, so did I. Both of us were nervous.

 

That wooden door was closed. Jessica left me alone in the hallway while waiting for her. As Jessica left, now I can felt that my heart began to beat faster than before and I think it would burst out of my chest in no time. I felt the feelings that Jessica had been felt since this morning. , I hate this kind of feelings.

 

I slid down against the wall, gathering my legs together and hugging them while waiting for Jessica to come out. It felt like, I didn’t know what to do if Jessica’s parents didn’t agree about me and Jessica.

 

It will definitely the end of us.

 

I closed my eyes, but not long after I did that, I heard the door creaked open, causing me to lift up my head to see who it was. And Jessica was standing in the doorway, signing me that it’s my turn to come in.

 

As I entered the bright and vast room, I got mesmerized by the sophisticated room that Mr. and Mrs. Jung had. But I had no time for that and concentrate to what I was there for.

 

There they were, sitting in the L-shaped sofa with a smile grew on their face. I was afraid if that smile would be gone after they knew who I was to Jessica.

 

“What a pretty lady you have here, Sica!” Mrs. Jung stood up and walked toward me. That smile hadn’t gone from her face but I wished it wouldn’t. Each steps that Mrs. Jung took closer to me, my heart beat faster and faster. I started feeling dizzy because of it.

 

“Thank you, ma’am.” I slightly bowed at her and Mr. Jung who was smiling at me as well.

 

“Have a sit, Miss…”

 

“Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang.”

 

Jessica sat a bit far from me and I knew what her meant by her action. She didn’t want her parents to feel suspicious. I didn’t know what Jessica had talked to her parents while I was outside the room, but it felt that Jessica said that she brought me to talk about something with them.

 

“So mom and dad, I want to ask you for a favor.”

 

“You can ask us for anything, Jessica. You know we will give you everything you want.” The smile was still there, on Mr. and Mrs. Jung’s face. I really wanted to explode. The fear of being rejected started growing on me, controlling me but I knew I had to handle it.

 

Oh how I wanted to hold Jessica’s hand so bad and squeeze it hard.

 

“I want to divorce Hara.”

 

Silence and I was counting for something.

 

Five,

 

 

Four,

 

 

Three,

 

 

Two,

 

 

One.

 

And the smile was almost gone. Only a small smile left from the corner of their lips.

 

“May I know the reason?”

 

Jessica looked at me and dragged her hand against the soft material to hold my hand.

 

“Because I love her.” She hadn’t finished with her words. “I love Tiffany and I want to live with her.”

 

Oh god, that was so straight to the point.

 

I can’t describe how Mr. and Mrs. Jung looked like right now. Their face was so unreadable. It was either they were scared, worried of something, and disappointed. I didn’t know. How I wish Taeyeon was here with us, being something in disguise and I will definitely ask her to read Jessica’s parents’ mind.

 

“Is that why you kept sleeping in nowhere outside the house? Leaving Hara in the house alone and treating her like she was nothing?”

 

Jessica gulped. Again, her eyes drifted off from her parents to me and the grip on my hand was getting tightened.

 

“Yes.”

 

Mr. Jung sighed as he leaned his back to the couch. His eyes never leave Jessica. He didn’t look at me at all and it made me more scared.

 

“So you cheated on Hara with her all the time? Since the beginning of your wedding?” Mr. Jung spoke with his deep voice and serious tone wandering around the room. That friendly tone was no longer there like when he asked me to have a sit.

 

“No. Tiffany and I lost our touch for three years and we met again a week ago.”

 

I couldn’t say anything. It wasn’t yet my turn to speak.

 

“But I know I will always love her, mom and dad. Not Hara or anyone, but Tiffany.” The sincerity in Jessica’s eyes didn’t lie. She meant it when she said that and somehow it touched me.

 

It made me guilty when I saw Mr. Jung massaging his temple with his fingers like he was confused with the favor that Jessica just asked and that sudden confession about the third party in Jessica’s relationship with Hara, that none other than me; while Hara was the third party in my relationship with Jessica.

 

“I want to ask if I can divorce Hara and if you let me, to live together with Tiffany.”

 

“Let me think about it, Jessica.” Mr. Jung lifted his head and looked at her eldest daughter with those weak eyes.

 

Jessica and I stood up and about to leave them right after I bowed at Jessica’s parents, but then Jessica turned her body, facing their parents.

 

“In case if you didn’t let me to live with Tiffany,” She stopped, her eyes alternately switched from Mr. Jung to Mrs. Jung.

 

“Just let you know that I will do anything to get it. To get my happiness that none other is Tiffany.”

 

*

 

Both of us sat in the edge of the bed, opposing each other. My back faced hers. No words uttered from our mouth for the past an hour. Everything went awkward and it was killing me.

 

But then I slowly got up of the bed and walked to her. I encourage myself to approach her although I was a bit scared.

 

Jessica had her face buried against her palms, probably she was thinking about what happened earlier in her house.

 

“Jessi…” I rubbed her back.

 

“What if they didn’t let me to divorce Hara?”

 

“I—”

 

“What if they take my money and leave me with no bucks left in my bank? And I couldn’t make you happy?”

 

She raised her head, facing me with those swollen eyes. She was crying and I didn’t hear anything of her sobs? Oh my god I must be totally deaf because I fell to my own thought again.

 

But I brought her closer to my embrace, shushing her, digging my nose between her light brown locks.

 

“I didn’t love you because of your wealth, Jessi. I love you because you are perfect to me.”

 

Her hands grinding up on my back, searching for the right place to be held.  

 

“For me, you are still that Jessica Jung. Jessica Jung who loves Tiffany Hwang with all her heart, doesn't know a word called 'giving up', the brave Jessica Jung, a reckless Jessica Jung. With or without your wealth.” I hugged Jessica tightly, giving her a small peck on her cheek before locking my finger between her hair. “I don't care if your parents takes your wealth, because I don't need them. I only need you to be with me in my life.”

 

Slowly I can felt a smirk against my neck. Thank god she was smiling—or smirking.

 

“Please stay with me until the clock stops ticking and until my lips no longer let out a breath.” 

 

 

 

TBC

a/n: updated! wow i didn't update it for a month >< i'm so sorry.... I was too engrossed writing one-shots for my blog >< well, i hope you guys like it! do send me a PM if you don't understand something :) have a nice weekend!