047.

Capturing Taemin-Oppa

 

“You’re late. Good thing the exam hasn’t started yet.” Hajin whispered as Juliette occupied the seat next to him. She came in 15 minutes after the class. Good thing the professor was still busy checking the exam papers before giving them away.

“I woke up really late this morning. Good thing Oppa drove me over.” She said while still catching her breath. She ran all the way to the corridor just to reach the room as early as possible.

As soon as she received the paper, her eyes automatically widened. She didn’t read about the topic that was written on the exam. “I’m doomed.” Hajin saw the big question mark on her face, but he wasn’t able to talk to her because the professor was roaming around for the possible cheaters. He doesn’t want to be caught as if he was cheating.

She tried to gather all the stock knowledge she has about that certain topic. That was the same topic she was reading on the book last night. If she just put a lot of focus on it, then she might be able to answer these questions correctly.

But she cannot remember a thing. She was too drawn into worrying about Taem that she wasn’t able to recall any of what she read last night. She bitted her lower lip and closed her eyes before putting intelligent guesses on the paper.

Class dismissed.

She walked outside the room with a heavy heart. They received the result few minutes after they passed it to the professor.

Hajin followed her, “Was it easy for the genius chic?” He asked.

She looked at him and sighed, “Not good, sunbae. I flunk.” She said and showed him her results.

His eyes widened as he looked at the result. “This is impossible! No. We should go back and ask her to recheck this!” He said and was about to pull her back when she stopped him.

“Aniya, sunbae. I really failed. I was not able to have a good review.” She uttered. “It’s okay. I guess these things really happen at times.” She tried to smile, but it was very bitter to even fake happiness and acceptance.

“But this is too much.” He said. “You were acing even the most difficult exams and you’ll just flunk this one easy stuff? It was all written in the book!” He said.

“But the thing is… I wasn’t able to recall even a single thing in the book.” She answered. “This is my fault, but I’ll make up to it on the next exam. Don’t worry. I won’t fail the whole subject just because of this.” She smiled and patted her sunbae’s back. “I should get going. I have other things to do.” She waved and immediately left.

As she was walking, a girl approached her. “Hwang Jooyoung-ssi?” She nodded. “Hi. I’m Han Seung Yeon, leader of the school’s scholastic team for national competition. You were referred to me by a friend because we are looking for another team member. Do you want to join us? I’m interested about you a lot since we’ve been tracking your academe standing and I learned you aced all exams in one go.” She smiled.

“Oh.” She smiled and bowed in flatter. “Thank you.”

“Our school’s team will be stronger once you decide on joining us, and it will also help you learn more and you will be able to share it to us, your team mates.”

“I think that would be interesting.”

“Since all class ended at 5 so we normally start the discussions and daily lectures at 6:30. If you want to go home first and then you come back before 6:30 then it will be alright. We usually end at around 10 – 10:30. Look, I know it’s too long but I can guarantee you it would be fun.”

“Oh…” Her smiled vanished. “I think I won’t be able to make it.” There was a disappointing look on her face. “I like to join but the hours of lectures…” She shook her head as she remembered the things she needs to do as she gets home. “… don’t really go along my original sched.” She said with a sorry face. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh. That’s sad.” The girl felt disappointed, too. “I was really hoping I could get you… anyways, I’m not pressuring you. If you think you can’t make it right now then it’s okay. If you ever decide to join us then our team will always be open for members like you.” She smiled. “I’ll go ahead then. I still have my last class. See you around, Jooyoung, and nice meeting you.” She waved and walked away.

She couldn’t accept the offer. What about the house and Taeminnie? She’s busy enough for school and she doesn’t want another responsibility. Taemin needs some of her attention and she needs to give him half of it.

As soon as she got out of the school gate… Juliette saw a familiar, yet unusual figure outside the gate, standing, crossed arms, looking at her direction.

Tina?

“Hey, Juliette!!!!”  The girl shouted in English and jumped up and down while waving after seeing her.

“Oh my God, Tina !!!!!” She shouted back and both of them ran towards each other.

They hugged tightly because it’s been a long time since both of them talked together.

“Gosh, why are you here? You didn’t tell me you’re visiting me!” She shouted in excitement.

“It’s my vacation! I decided to go here because I miss you so much!!!” Both of them giggled. “It’s been a long time since both of us talked together, I swear, you owe me a lot of stories! I don’t even know what’s up with you here in Korea!!”

It was Tina, her long time friend from California.