Choices

10 Things I Hate About You

You were staring at your bedroom ceiling as you blew air into your cheeks. You had decided to sleepover at your old house before leaving the next day. It was four in the morning but you couldn't sleep a wink. Not after drinking three heaping cups of peppermint hot chocolate. Also, you had just finished checking your email using your old computer in your room. All the screaming with your parents earlier had really drained your energy out.

You played with your fingers as the silence in your room stretched on. *How am I going to tell Sehun about the email? Should I tell him tomorrow morning? Or should I not tell him and say it's payback time for tricking me? But that's unfair, though. Ugh, why am I so damn nice?!* 

 

Earlier on, 3:15 am.

You were scrolling down your inbox, searching for a certain announcement. It has been a few weeks since your application to Harvard University. 

Your fingers were getting tired from scrolling on the round piece of rubber on your mouse. You sighed. *Where is that email-*

Just then, a pop-up appeared, showing you had a new email. You scrolled back up to the top and that's when you saw it. You gasped when you saw who sender was. 

"It's from their head department! Oh my God, pinch me now!" You whispered to yourself while panicking. You didn't want to open the email but at the same time, you wanted to know if you had been accepted. *Of course, you are! It's a full scholarship, dummy!* 

You closed one eye and timidly clicked on the title. You inhaled a deep breath and opened both eyes. Your heart was palpitating against your chest as you read over the first few words of the email.

"Greetings, Lee SunHee!"

"Oh my God," You breathed. They already knew your name. Beads of perspiration ran down the sides of your face. Your eyes widened as you read along the lines. 

"Congratulations!" "..chosen to enroll.." "..start next year.." "Fifth of February." "Good luck and Welcome to Harvard!" 

*No freaking way.* Then it dawned on you. 

You got accepted to Harvard University! 

You screamed in happiness and jumped up from your seat. You ran out of your room and darted into your parents' room. You switched on the lights and jumped up and down on their bed, still screaming. 

"MOM, DAD! GUESS WHAT, GUESS WHAT?!" You squealed in delight and watched as your parents groggily opened their eyes. 

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" Your mother rubbed her eyes and looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table. She sighed, "Sweetie, it's three forty-five in the morning. What's wrong?" 

"Mom, Dad, I got accepted to Harvard University! Isn't this great?!" You flailed your arms. 

Once you said that, your parents instantly sat up and looked at you with wide eyes. They looked at each other and gasped. 

"Really?! Oh, that's great, SunHee! Congratulations!" Your father hugged you tightly. You patted his back with a wide smile. 

"When do you start?" Your mother asked as she clasped your hands. 

"On the fifth of February! Well, for freshmen only since we have to register but I guess I'm already in!" You spoke with glee. 

Once again, your parents hugged you, not allowing you to breathe at all. 

"We made a right choice buying her that new laptop, honey." Your mother giggled. 

The three of you let go and you walked to the door, leaning against the door frame. "Goodnight, Mom and Dad~" 

"Good night, sweetie. Congratulations on getting accepted!" Your mother chimed before pulling the duvet over herself. You chuckled and switched off the lights. You stalked back to your room and threw yourself on the bed. You sighed in content with big smile before turning over on your side, getting ready to sleep. 

 

Present

You sighed for the umpteenth time, still staring up at the ceiling. You tossed and turned while trying to sleep but you just couldn't. You sat up and put on your fuzzy slippers. You slipped on an oversized cardigan and went out of your room. You looked around, making sure you woke no one up. When the coast was clear, you tip toed to the kitchen. 

You walked to the counter where a thermos, that contained the leftover peppermint hot chocolate, sat. You got a mug from the cupboard and poured some of the hot chocolate in. 

You leaned against the counter and stared into the dark. No lights were as any sign of light would instantly wake your parents up. 

*Should I tell Sehun I got accepted? But how would he react?* Thoughts spun around in your head. You groaned. You looked at the mug and realized you had drunk all of the hot chocolate. You yawned and placed the mug in the sink. 

You had merely reached the flight of stairs when you glanced at the warm couch that looked extremely inviting. It was as if there were arms reaching out to you, beckoning you to come closer. 

You let out a soft mumble before striding over to the couch and plopping yourself on it. Before you know it, you found yourself drifting off to sleep.

--- 

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll visit as much as I can, alright? You'll get to send me off at the airport anyways!" You chuckled as your mother let go of you in her embrace.

"I'm sorry, sweetie." Your mother sniffled. "It's just that now I know how you felt when your father and I went on business trips." 

"No, Mom, it's okay. Don't cry, okay? I'll send you a lot of presents." You grinned and hugged your parents one more time. 

"All we want is for you to be okay." Your father wrapped an arm around your mother. 

A honk came from the driveway, telling you that the chauffeur was there to take you back to the dorm. You looked back at your parents and sighed. "You'll be there when I depart, right?" 

Your parents nodded, "We'll be there no matter what." 

You hugged them one last time before going out of the house and into the car. You winded down your window and waved at your parents. You leaned back as the car drove off. *See you soon, Mom and Dad.* 

-----

A soft rap came on your door in the dorm. You placed your bowl of popcorn down on the table before taking three long strides to the door. 

"OOF." You groaned as you were tackled to the ground. 

"Oh, my God! Sunshine, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?!" Sehun pushed himself off of you and pulled you up to your feet. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." You dusted your pyjama pants and looked at Sehun. A pang of guilt hit you and you groaned before plopping onto the couch. 

"What's wrong, sunshine? Why are you sighing?" Sehun sat beside you, making you sigh again. Sehun frowned, "If it's about Christmas, I-" '

"No, Sehun." You pulled your knees to your chest and leaned back, "It's not about that. That's not the problem." 

"Then what is the problem? You know you can tell me anything." Sehun pulled you close to him. You looked up at him then looked down. 

"I got accepted to Harvard University, Sehun." You mumbled. 

There was silence. You bit your lower lip and played with your fingers as you felt Sehun's arms unwrap around your body. You saw him stand up at the corner of your eye and held your breath. 

"." Sehun muttered as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I didn't think it was real." 

"W-What?" You looked up at him. He had a distressed look on his face as he rubbed his chin. 

"Your parents called me." Sehun sighed. "They told me you got accepted into Harvard but I didn't think it was true." 

"They did?" You started and looked away, "I-I didn't think they'd tell you so soon-" 

"Then when were you planning on telling me, huh?" Sehun snapped. You flinched. Sehun gave a frustrated sigh, "SunHee, you didn't even tell me you applied to Harvard. If you haven't told me that, just when are you planning to tell me you're leaving? Especially if you have to leave two weeks before school starts? On the day before you're leaving? In the morning? When you're already on the plane?!"

"I didn't know how to tell you!" You stood up, tears streaming down your face. You could see the anger in Sehun's eyes. "I was afraid that if I told you, you wouldn't let me leave anyways. I applied after I found out about your freaking non-existent cancer. I figured that if you weren't even going to live to get into college with me, what was the point of me staying here anyway?! Until I found out about your stupid Christmas prank! Just how insensitive are you, Sehun?! And I thought you actually cared about my feelings." 

Guilt started to build up in Sehun. He stepped towards you to reach out to you when you stepped back. You looked away from him, choking back the sobs you had been keeping in. 

"Sunshine, I-" 

"All you have to do is trust me, Sehun. As much as you don't want to let me go, I need to. It's too late to stop me this time." You sighed. 

"Does that mean we're going to take a break too?" 

Your head whipped up. "Wh-What do you mean?" 

Sehun looked down at you, "SunHee, if it means you living in the States for probably the rest of your life, a long distance relationship isn't exactly going to help you focus on your studies and with your future." 

You reached out to him, "Sehun, I just said all you have to do is trust me. I promise, I won't be going around liking any other guy but you. You know that, don't you?" 

"But what makes you think no one's going to like you?" Sehun bit his lip. "Face it, SunHee, you're smart, talented and beautiful. Anyone must be crazy enough not to fall for you. I'm sorry, SunHee but though you trust me with all your heart, I don't think it's easy to have someone like you as their girlfriend. Someone who's so loveable and independent. You may trust me, but I don't think I have enough trust in myself to let my girlfriend go somewhere where there are guys so much better than me everywhere."

"Wow." You chuckled humourlessly as stray tears trickled down your cheek. "So this is it. You really are breaking up with me." 

"I'm sorry, SunHee, I really am-" 

You raised a finger up, "Don't." You looked up with tear stained cheeks. "Don't apologize for something you don't mean. You may say you're sorry and all but I know you won't regret breaking up with me. Once I get on that plane, you're going to say, "Oh, now I can finally live a normal life where I don't have to worry about my girlfriend messing around with other guys in another country." I can read you like an open book, Oh Sehun. But if you're really sorry, it's fine. I forgive you. But there's one thing I want to say and do before you leave." 

"Anything." Sehun nodded, some tears escaping his eyes too. 

You raised your right hand, "Have a nice life, Oh Sehun. I'll see you in the future. If I can." 

SLAP!

Sehun's face whipped to the side as you gave him one big slap across the face. 

"Wow." Sehun chuckled as he touched his left cheek. "I think I deserved that." 

"Yeah, you did." You smiled but then put on a straight face. "Now, leave." 

Sehun nodded before going out the door. He looked back over his shoulder, "Goodbye, sunshine." 

You waved, waiting for him to shut the door. Right when the door shut, you dropped to your knees and sobbed. You started clutching your chest, 

"Oh Sehun, nappeun namja." 


what. 

WHAT ON EARTH JUST HAPPENED. 

THE LAST TIME I WROTE WAS LAST MONTH, HOLY . I FEEL SO BAD, GUYS. MAKING YA'LL WAIT. BUT DON'T WORRY! Chinese New Year's coming up which means... 

More updates! And yes, I'm going to end the story next week so anticipate a great ending for you SunHan shippers! 

Until the next update, ppyong!~