The Best Present

Dongsaeng Saranghae

 

Almost two hours had passed since Taemin left, but I was still at the living room, sitting alone there, thinking of the things that have had happened tonight. Footsteps coming from the stairs made me stop from thinking. I saw Bom unnie who looked so surprised upon seeing me.
 
"Chemi, why are you still here? Don't you have any plan of going to bed?" she asked while walking towards me. She seated at my side, glared at me, waiting for some answers.
 
"Unnie.." I said, and before I could utter another word, my tears flooded down on my cheeks.She instantly embraced me and began to tap my back. I couldn't remember for how long we lasted with that position, but when I ended crying, I started to tell her what happened. How complicated my life had begun when I saw Minho again, and how it affected me and my relationship with Taemin.
 
"Saeng.. I never thought that at an early age, you'll experience such things. No girl should be in misery at the age of fifteen, but since it all happened, I guess we just have to fix things," unnie softly said.
 
"I don't know what to do anymore unnie. I have been hurting Taem so much because he couldn't have me completely. I really thought I could love him the way I have loved Minho, but I guess I'm wrong. If I could just teach this heart to beat only for Taemin, I have done it a long time ago, but it is so stubborn that it always wanted to have what it really longed for. Sometimes, I just wanted to be alone and run away with all of this, but breaking up with Taem is another thing.. I am too afraid that he might couldn't take it, moreover, I don't wanna lose the friendship that I first had with him." I began to cry again.
 
"And as for Minho?.. What do you really feel about him?" she asked.
 
"I have loved him before, and I'm still in love with him at this very moment. If only, he didn't know what I truly feel about him, there might not be any complications now. I'll just continue to love him silently.. just like before, but I was caught. Now, he already knows about it, and he wanted us to be together, like the way it has to be."
 
"Now, that's really complicated, but not a problem at all," unnie told me.
 
I was a bit confused with her response.
 
"Huh?" I asked.
 
"Saeng, you know.. things in our lives only become a problem when we start to problematize it. There will always be a solution in every obstacle that may come our way. It's just a matter of choice, and once you decide to choose what you really like to happen, you must make a stand on your decision.. no matter what. Even if it means that someone will get hurt, or hate you for the decision that you made. I believe that in everything that would be both very important to us, there will always be this one which will weigh a bit heavier, meaning the more important one. Do you understand what I'm saying huh Chemi?.."
 
I remained silent, then she continued.
 
"If you don't wanna hurt Taemin anymore, then stick with him and start forgetting about Minho, and on the other hand, If you wanna follow your heart, and be with the one you truly love, then no matter how painful it may be for Taemin, you have to break up with him. Better yet, start anew without the both of them in your life. After all, you are so young Chemi... being inlove is not the only thing that makes this world wonderful. When you are mature enough, you'll understand more what I am trying to explain to you saeng.." she ended.
 
"Gomawo unnie.. I'll think about it. I am feeling okay now.."
 
"I'm glad to hear that from you. Hey! Cheer up! It's Christmas Day. Would you like to join me and TOP later? We are going to ice skates." she offered.
 
"Oh no, Thank you. It's a couple thing. I don't wanna be out of the place with the two love birds." I .
 
"Silly girl.. Take a rest now, will you?"
 
"Yeah. Thank you again unnie!" I finally said, then went up to my room to have some sleep.
 
 
 
 
When I woke up, I looked at my alarm clock beside my bed, it was one o'clock in the afternoon.*I over slept* I thought while gently rubbing my eyes. *Merry Christmas Park Chemi!* I told myself.I rushed to the bathroom and took a nice hot shower. I wore the clothes I have bought for Christmas Day. Trying to feel good for the Holiday Season, I hurriedly went downstairs, walked straight to the kitchen to look for something to eat. I instantly noticed the note at the fridge door saying
 
             *Merry Christmas Ttal! Me and Dad went out on a date. :) Would you believe it? As for your unnie,     
              she's with your TOP oppa. I'm sure you'll have your own date with Taemin. Enjoy the Holiday! Just
              don't come home so late, ok? :) - Mom*
 
I smiled as I finished reading Mom's note. I was so happy that my parents and my sister were enjoying the Christmas. The last part about Taem made a pinch in my heart. I instantly thought of him.
 
*I wonder how is he right now.. because of this cluttered heart of mine, I have hurt someone..*  
 
That thought made me sad again, releasing a deep breath, I continued on what I supposed to do. I made a spicy seaweed soup and an omurice. After I finished eating my food, I took my guitar and started to record the recent song I have composed entitled Sorry But I. I made that song out of my jealousy towards Krystal, thinking that Taem loves her more than me, but as I listened to it once again, a sudden realization came upon me. The song I have written was actually intended to me... I really wanted to love Taem same as how he was loving me, but my heart was still tied up to where it really wanted to be with.. to Minho. Tears started to fill my eyes.
 
*If I could just bring up the past, I would just stay friends with the both of them. In that way, no one would be hurt, unlike what's happening right now.*
 
I was on that thought when I heard a knock on our door. *They came back so early?..* I told myself thinking about my parents. As I opened up the door, a smiling face of Taemin showed up.
 
"Merry Christmas Princess..." he greeted, as he hand over a bouquet of pink tulips to me. 
 
For a while, I was so speechless, I didn't expect his arrival. Actually, I thought that he might not want to see me again. At last I have found my voice and spoke
 
"Merry Christmas Taem.. and thank you for these flowers, it's so beautiful. Please come in."
 
He seated at the sofa and I sat across him. "Uhm.. Would you like something to drink?" I asked him, feeling a bit awkward. "What I want is to be seated next to you.." he casually said. I smiled, stood up, and sat beside him. He leaned his head on my right shoulder, I could smell his fragrant hair. We were just like that for a couple of minutes before he uttered a word. 
 
"When I first saw you.. I told myself that I would like to be the one who would bring joy in your life, the one who would make you smile.. I didn't know that it would be the other way around, cause you were the one who made me so happy.. it was when you accepted the friendship I have offered to you. You have trusted me so much that you told me everything about your life.. about your love. I knew from the start whom your heart really wanted, but I was so stubborn that I insisted to take his place, thinking that in that way, I would finally bring out true happiness within you.. but it didn't work out."
 
"Taem..."
 
"I love you so much Chemi that I am willing to do everything and anything for you to be happy.. even if it means I have to let you go.. for you to be with the one who you really love. I didn't know where I get the guts I have right now, or why am I so brave to tell you all of these things that is so painful to me.. I guess, I have chose to save our friendship more than anything else we have right now, because if I continue on loving you the way I must not, I might end up losing both my girlfriend and my bestfriend, and I don't want it to happen."
 
He moved back his head from leaning on my shoulders, and looked at me. His eyes have tears but he still managed to put a smile on his lips.
 
"This is my Christmas gift to you Princess.. your freedom. I know that this would be the best present I could give to you. I just have one favor to ask.. Can we still be friends?.. Can we go back from where we started, when there were still no complications?.." he asked.
 
My heart was breaking into pieces at that moment. I feel so sorry for Taem. I wiped his tears and embraced him so tight, I was crying also. I didn't know what to say, I wanted to lessen the pain I have caused him but I just didn't know how.
 
"I'm so sorry Taem.. I'm so sorry for what happened between us, and yes let's stay friends, and be the best of friends that we can be. Please forgive me.."
 
"No.. Don't be sorry. Never be sorry for what you really feel and for the things that would make you happy. Believe me, I feel good and somehow relieved right now, and I know in time, I will be much better. Thank you Chemi.. for giving me a chance to show how much I care for you. Thank you for all the memories and I will still always be here for you.. as a true friend, no matter what." 
 
"Thank you Taem.. thank you for all the love you have given me. I am so grateful for that, and I will always be thankful that I have met someone like you.."
 
 
Lee Taemin.. the cool guy that treated me like a Princess. A dancing machine, like his schoolmates and admirers called him. The one who posseses a smile that would melt every girl's heart, a true friend, and the man who taught me that love is not selfish nor possesive, it is unconditional and pure, that true love doesn't want anything in exchange.. it just stays there and flows continuously in our hearts..