True Thoughts

Dongsaeng Saranghae

-Minho’s POV-

*Now I know why Aunt GaEul took extra time to bake and stack cookies every weekend.* I told myself as I ran heading towards the kitchen. I still remember the day Aunt GaEul visited us way back in Seoul before the class officially ends for spring break..

“Minho! How are you adeul (son)?” Aunt GaEul exclaimed as she enters our home. It was a surprise visit. Dad didn’t know that his noona is coming that day.

 

“Oh my, I’m not really used to Seoul’s busy and noisy environment.” She continued. She has always been like that, when she starts to talk, it seems forever before she stops. Of course I was just kidding. I love her as much as I love my mom. She is so kind, caring and supportive to our family. She treats us, her nephews, as her own sons. Aunt GaEul has no family of her own not because she hated love but she just decided to be like that. She often tells us that she’s very happy and content with her life.

 

“Why don’t you spend your spring break at my place, Minho?” Aunt GaEul asked me. We were having lunch at that time.

“I’m sure you’ll enjoy your stay there. And besides, I need someone who will take care of my house for the next few weeks for I will be going back and forth to Gwangju. We will be having a feeding program to the less fortunate kids,” she added, handling me the bowl half full of rice.

 

“But isn’t it too quiet there, Aunt GaEul? I’m afraid boredom would just kill me there.” I laughed nervously.

 

She chuckled a bit, “I’m sure you won’t. Kids really these days.” She shook her head slowly. I observed how a smile crept upon her thin lips. She looked at me before taking in the spoonful of rice with small bits of fish at the top of it and murmured, “You like music, right?”

 

“I.. Ye-”

 

“Sure you do!” she cut my words off.

“There’s this kid there. She lives just in front of my house. Such a cheerful and polite kid. That’s why I’m so fond of her.” Aunt GaEul smile in between of her words.

“Her mom and I are really good friends since our college days. I never thought that five years after graduation my dear chingu will settle down and have her own family, and the best thing that happened is that we even became neighbors. Ha-ha! Life really has its way on surprising us.. Anyway, back to that young lady.. She actually has an older sibling. She’s nice too but tends to stay inside her room; not like her younger sister, Chemi, who I often spotted outside their house.” She added. She gulped some of her orange juice drink and continued.

“You know, I kinda feel pity for that child. She’s always alone, sitting on the stairs in front of their house with her guitar. I actually doubt if she ever has any friends because I never had a chance to see her with one.” She seems to be a.. a..” she stuttered, snapping her fingers repeatedly.

 

“..a loner.” I completed her sentence.

 

“Oh, yes. But I still don’t get it. She’s friendly and cheerful to me though.” She said.

“She seems to like music too, Minho! I’m sure you two will get along well.”

 

 “But..”

 

“Besides, you need some fresh air too, Minho. You should let your body breath up unpolluted air sometimes.” I glanced over to mom and she gave me an approving look while smiling. I shifted my gaze from mom to Aunt GaEul and nodded. “Okay, Aunt GaEul. I’ll be coming.”

 

“Great!” she exclaimed.

Just as I was running towards the door with the cookies in my hands, my eyes caught Chemi, practicing the lyrics I made.

“She’s so cute.” Those words just slipped off after I opened my mouth. I suddenly felt my heartbeat rises when she flashed a bright grin on her pink lips. I can’t help but to smile too at that site. I really didn’t realize how long I was smiling until this thought hit me..

*Hey, what’s this? No. It can’t be. I shouldn’t be feeling this way. Maybe, I’m just really fond of her, that’s why. She’s just your dongsaeng, Minho. Just. Your. Dongsaeng.*

I shook my head, trying hard to erase the thoughts of me liking Chemi. She’s just 15 and I am 5 years older than her. And besides, what if she only sees and treats me as her Oppa (older brother) cause she doesn’t have one.. “Aish, I don’t know..” Suddenly, I felt so confused.

 

“Banana Oatmeal Cookies and iced tea just for you. This will help you energized and focus.” I blurted out as I open Aunt GaEul’s front door and headed towards Chemi’s direction.

 

“Thank you. You know what?.. I have tasted different kinds of cookies. Thanks to Mrs. Choi.”, she said in between bites of her cookie.

Weeeee~ So, this chapter is in Minho's POV!

I hope you like LOVE this chapter.. :3