Save Me

Play Your Love

That afternoon, Mi Nyu and Sora were loitering by the forest to catch some beetles. Mi Nyu was cherishing the last few days before her month-long vacation with Shin Woo.

Later that afternoon, at almost dusk, the two girls had gathered enough bugs when the wind blew so hard that both of them held on to the pack of beetles that they had. Mi Nyu's bag of beetles fell off and rolled over.

"Please wait for me," she requested Sora.

Sora watched as the other girl walked further. Suddenly, Mi Nyu screamed, and Sora ran to her. Mi Nyu was hanging to the root of a tree, and she was hanging on a cliff. Sora called out her name and grabbed Mi Nyu's hand. She was quite heavy, but because Sora was used to doing man chores when Min Hyuk was not around, she was able to get  hold of Mi Nyu. But Mi Nyu's hands were cold, wet, and clammy, making it hard for Sora to grip.

Suddenly, a strong grip held Mi Nyu's wrist and pulled her up. To the two girls' astonishment, it was Shin Woo.

"Oppa!" both girls exclaimed.

Shin Woo tended both girls. Sora had a bloody scratch on her wrist, so he wrapped her hanky around it. Mi Nyu was unkempt because she rolled over, and dust mingled with the tears on her face.

"Mianhaeyo, Sora," Mi Nyu wept. "If I had not chased my beetles..."

"Please don't think about it anymore," Sora told her. "I still have mine, and we can share."

Sora let out a small smile as Shin Woo brushed his fingers through Mi Nyu's hair. He was just so caring that he was the boyfriend material.

"Uljima, uljima," he shushed Mi Nyu.

Mi Nyu and Sora stood up with him, and Sora walked ahead of them to give them time. Shin Woo held her hand tight so she'll not let go.

"Baby Girl," he whispered lovingly into her ears.

Mi Nyu leaned close to him as he wrapped his arm around her. She was still sobbing like a little child that he had to wipe her tears and tell her it was all right now.

****

"Noona!" Min Hyuk screamed in panic.

He and the household saw Sora and Mi Nyu with their disheveled appearance. Halmeoni asked what had happened, and Sora had to lie for her and Mi Nyu. She said that both of them slipped through some slimy things in the field, and Shin Woo nodded along.

"Aigoo, good thing, Shin Woo was there," Eomma said.

The two ladies went to their rooms and took turns to take a bath. Dinner followed next, and then, some chill time. Min Hyuk and his younger sisters, the twins, went inside Halmeoni's room to massage the old lady on her extremities. Sora had given her beetles to the kids, who tied strings around a beetle's neck and tried to set them free. Mi Nyu watched the beetles flying round and round while the kids held the strings. She remembered the times that she and Mi Nam would do that in their childhood.

"Can I share to you something?" Shin Woo asked her out of the blue.

Mi Nyu nodded and went with him out of the gates. They walked around the village, talking silently as if they have a world on their own. She wondered what took him long to share it, but she waited. Finally, they reached the town square where there were lots of lovers sitting under the cherry trees. Both of them took a spot under a tree and sat there.

"I...I seemed to remember many things already," he said to her.

"Jeongmalyo?" she asked hopefully.

He told her about the time he saw her in the greenhouse, he looking like the white knight, and she looking like a princess. He remembered holding her hand after she attempted to remove the flower pin from her hair. And his heart remembered just as his mind did. He remembered feeling love the moment he held her hand back then.

"But along with remembering the memories came heartaches that my heart remembers as well," he sadly said.

Mi Nyu's lips shuddered, and tears fell down her eyes.

"You...remember?"

"Eung. I remember how I tried to make you look at me every time, and most especially when you cried. But I remembered feeling rejected every time you smile and run back to Tae Kyung," he shared. "I remember singing that I was willing to wait for you, even if I had to be a fool for you."

Mi Nyu suddenly remembered that song. She remembered him getting angry and frustrated at her that she let tears stream down again.

"Joesonghamnida, Shin Woo-hyung," she whimpered.

He leaned forward and brushed his fingers through her hair, and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"I wished I had not remembered the pain at all, but it is good that I remember still," he said. "It makes me remember how much I loved you back then before my accident."

"Sh... Shin Woo-hyung..."

"I remembered many events of how you came to break my heart," he whispered.

Then, he wrapped his arms around her, and she felt throttled at the manliness of his beastly biceps, which were too yummy, but too inconsistent with his natural body build. But she, somehow, still felt safe around his manly arms. She felt herself getting mushy.

"I tried to find ways to make me hate you, now that I remembered them," he whispered. "But I can't."

She shed her tears again when he said those lines.

"Why can't you hate me?" she asked.

"Because the girl who rejected me is now my girlfriend," he whispered. "Do you know how happy I am?"

She sulked and fisted hands.

"When I remembered the times you made me down for rejecting me, and comparing it to the present, I can say that I am happy now that I have you," he said.

Mi Nyu looked at him.

"Hyung, It... It was also because the moment I learned that you got into an accident, I realized you are important to me. I almost got crazy looking for you at the crash site... I waited for you at the operating room. I gave up going to Africa so I can see you wake up..."

Love.

Shin Woo's eyes welled up with tears, and she leaned forward to kiss his cheek. Then, she got back to lean on his chest.

"That event made me confused regarding me and Hyungnim...and later, I realized it was not out of pity that I want to be with you... It had turned to something else..." she said.

She squeezed his biceps, and he hugged her tightly.

"I love you, Shin Woo-hyung," she said.

Shin Woo cradled her around his arms, while he lazily looked at other lovers kissing torridly or even playing cards. 

"Thank you for saving me," he whispered to her.

She nodded and buried her face to his chest. Since the tree was a bit dim, no one could ever see, much less, care, if both of them were exchanging verbal love notes to each other.

 

~~~~