Busan

Play Your Love

Shin Woo's parents came to fetch him that Friday, and they told the band that they need to borrow him for a month. Mi Nyu thought it would be a good time to think, as she was deeply troubled with her breakup with Tae Kyung.

Tae Kyung immersed himself in work and did not go with Jeremy and Mi Nam to the airport to see the others off. Mi Nam hugged his sister tight and told her to take care. Jeremy hugged her and Shin Woo because there would be nobody to protect him from Mi Nam's bullying.

In the airplane, Mi Nyu and Shin Woo sat next to each other, with his parents seated in front of them. Shin Woo sat by the window to see what the world looked like after his amnesia. He was in deep thought when Mi Nyu held his hand and squeezed it tightly. He turned to her and asked.

"Wae?"

"Ah...geunyang... This is my first time to Busan also," she said to him rather shyly. "I hope that the two of us will learn many things together there."

Shin Woo smiled, making her heart melt and shatter at the same time. Really, going after Shin Woo felt like going after an ex-lover.

Yes, Shin Woo was her ex-boyfriend. Ex-virtual boyfriend.

"I'm sure that the two of us are going to enjoy our stay," he said to her.

Mi Nyu nodded happily and leaned on his arm. He leaned on her head too, and the two of them spent some sweet and silent moments being next to each other.

****

They got to Busan, where the relatives waited. The halmeoni wrapped her arms around her grandson and cried. She told him that she was his grandma. If at first Shin Woo was overwhelmed with confusion, now, he was a bit receptive and eager to learn. Shin Woo's parents told his relatives not to mention to him about his past, not even his past relationship with Mi Nyu.

Of course, they knew. What they did not know was that the first one was fake.

"Yeobo, I was a bit sad when Mi Nyu-ya and Shin Woo-ya broke up, with her being Tae Kyung-ssi's girlfriend," Eomma said.

"Na do," Appa whispered. "But now that Mi Nyu is no longer Tae Kyung's girlfriend, there might be a chance for her and for our son."

"I agree, Yeobo," Eomma whispered back.

Shin Woo turned to his parents and smiled his gentleman smile. His parents smiled back at him and got back to gossiping about their son and the lady that came with them.

****

Mi Nyu was a bit bad with kitchen chores. She was better off with cleaning even if she was also a messy girl. But Eomma was willing to teach her the ways so that the young lady could be prepared for marriage. Who knows, if Mi Nyu might be someone else's wife, she can please her mother-in-law. But Eomma was wishing that she be Mi Nyu's mother-in-law instead. The lady Kang taught Mi Nyu on how to cook and how to make kimchi.

That dinner, Mi Nyu helped serve the relatives, especially the men of the household. She sat next to Shin Woo and tended to him like she was his wife. All the cousins, aunts, uncles, the halmeoni, and Shin Woo's bumonim watched in shock to see Mi Nyu providing food for Shin Woo.

"You can get married already," a cousin teased them.

"You can have wonderful children," another said.

Mi Nyu blushed and told them she was only doing this for Shin Woo because she wanted him to eat well. The halmeoni told them that if ever the two of them would end up together, she would not interfere.

"You are a really fine young girl," Halmeoni said. "I will give you my blessings."

"Is it too early, Halmeoni?" a sensible and cautious cousin asked. "She just had her break up with Tae Kyung-ssi."

"No, it is not," Halmeoni said with certainty.

Mi Nyu felt a bit embarrassed that her love life with Tae Kyung was even brought in the open.

"Joesonghamnida, Mi Nyu-ssi," the cousin said.*

****

After dinner, the two of them went to the front porch and looked up the stars. Mi Nyu's heart felt strangled as she remembered her stargazing night with Tae Kyung one night in her hometown. She was caught up in her own moment that she did not realize that she was sniffling.

"Gwaenchanha?" a gentle voice broke her thoughts.

She turned to see it was Shin Woo, and she nodded. Shin Woo wiped her tears gently that she could not help but cry again.

"I think I should not go with you," he said sadly. "I always make you cry."

"Animnida, Shin Woo-hyung," she replied. "I just remembered the night Hyungnim and I gazed at the sky and talked about the sun, the moon, and the stars."

Shin Woo scooted next to her, held her hand, and placed their hands on his lap. He looked at their intertwined hands like their hands were the most perfect things ever made. She could feel the warmth of his hand that she felt her cheeks heating up to a hundred degrees Celcius.

"I don't know how to ease your broken heart," Shin Woo said. "Truth to be told, I do not know how it is to please girls."

Mi Nyu's heart clenched at the pain. If Shin Woo had not forgotten, he would know how to comfort her. Every bit of it.

"How was I as a hyung... I mean, oppa?" he asked her. "How did I comfort you?"

Mi Nyu tried to stop her tears from falling.

"Shin Woo-hyung ruffled my hair and hugged me when I am sad. He also sang to me a song," she said.

But it was a big mistake for her to say it, because he asked what song it was. Mi Nyu remembered what it was, but looking back at it, she came to realize that it was Shin Woo comforting her when she was sad, waiting for her to hold his hand, waiting for her still, being there for her and loving her even if she loved someone else. The martyr type of love.

"It...it was a childhood lullaby," she lied. "You even played the guitar."

"I didn't know I can play the guitar," Shin Woo said.

"I don't know either," Mi Nyu said. "Only the piano."

Shin Woo wrapped her around in his embrace, for it was also a cold night. She felt the steady beat of his heart and the rhythm of his breathing. She turned her head so she could kiss his chest and memorize the scent of his perfume.

"Wae?" he asked.

"Ah...nothing, Hyung," she said. "I just want to memorize you."

"You memorize me like I am the scent of the shampoo?" he asked.

Mi Nyu nodded.

"I love that song," she told him. "It means so dear to me."

"What song?" he asked.

Mi Nyu realized that Shin Woo had no idea what she was talking about. And even if she was lame in songs, she knew the song because Jeremy and Mi Nam had been singing it to irritate each other.

"Shampoo, by Before School," she said.

Shin Woo smiled as he caressed her cheeks.

"I will try to listen to that song some other day," he said.

The wind blew and the stars twinkled brightly up the sky. Mi Nyu felt safe under Shin Woo, and she felt that if he had not forgotten, he'd still be this sweet to her.

So much for wishing that the love you rejected would go back to you like wishing your ex to get back to you.

"Hyung!" a cute and gentle male voice piped up.

Both of them looked at the person.

"O, Min Hyuk-ah," Shin Woo said.

Min Hyuk smiled with his cute eye smile and went to them, but he did not sit with them on the porch.

"Are the both of you busy tomorrow?" he asked them.

"Ah...aniyo," Mi Nyu said.

"Wae?" Shin Woo asked.

"Let's have a picnic by the lake tomorrow," Min Hyuk said.

"I will join," Shin Woo said with a smile.

"Ah, good," Min Hyuk said.

Then, he faced Mi Nyu.

"Please do not be too formal with me, Noona," Min Hyuk said to Mi Nyu.

"Gwaenchanha," Shin Woo said. "She is always formal."

Min Hyuk smiled like a silly little boy. He could not help but gush at the cuteness of his cousin and the lady who came with him.

"Hyung, Nooona, good night, sleep tight," Min Hyuk said.

He left in a jiffy because he felt he had broken the sweet moment of the two.

"Your cousin is very nice," Mi Nyu said.

"Ne. It is just sad that I cannot remember him," he said.

He caressed her face again and asked if he could kiss her cheeks. Mi Nyu hesitated at first, but she closed her eyes as Shin Woo leaned forward to give her cheek a soft but long kiss. She felt her heart about to burst because he kissed her that long. After the kiss, she felt she was drowning when she opened her eyes.

"I just want my Baby Girl to get a good night's sleep and dream of sweet dreams," he whispered.

This was the Shin Woo that she had longed for. If she had accepted his love, he would be this sweeter than he had done to her when he was still posing as a friend. But yeah, Shin Woo was always sweet. It was not difficult to fall in love with him.

"Shin Woo-hyung..." she whispered.

But she had not guts to tell him that they already "kissed" at the amusement park. She was willing to wait for him to do that. What her heart could not tell, her eyes did for her, as she was staring back at him.

"Wae?" he asked.

Then, he started to brush her hair with his fingers, gently and softly. Her lips shuddered.

"S...saranghaeyo," she said.

Shin Woo cocked his head and asked in curiosity.

"For what?" he casually asked.

Mi Nyu slapped herself mentally for being rash, but good thing because Shin Woo did not get it.

"I... I am saying that for a chingu...to you, as my chingu..." she said.

"Ah, geurae?" he asked.

Then, he leaned forward to her ear.

"Saranghaeyo," he whispered.

Her heart fluttered. If only this would be a confession she had waited.

"Good night, my dear friend," he whispered.

But it was only love for a friend, and she had to admit she was disappointed. Then, to her surprise, Shin Woo kissed her again on her cheeks for a minute. After the kiss, both of them stood up and got in the room. He accompanied her to her door, then got to his room afterwards.

****

Mi Nyu lay on bed in her dark room, touching her cheek where Shin Woo kissed her.

"If only you kissed me because you love me," she thought in tears. "Busan will be my witness..."

 

~~~~