08

Voice of my Heart

 

The weather got colder, and the infamous Sadie Hawkins dance was coming up, where the girls asked the guys instead of the other way around. Myungsoo thought he was going to die from the number of girls that tried to surround them and ask him to be their date. He politely declined them all though, stating that he wasn’t much of a dancer, and that he’d much rather be at home, developing pictures in his newly formed dark room that his parents gifted him.
 
No one seemed to think he was serious, unfortunately, because he still kept getting asked. Finally, he couldn’t take it anymore and took to hiding in corners of the library, keeping a furtive glance out for giggling girls.
 
“Is this seat taken?” he asked quietly, pointing to a chair in the opposite corner of the table. A girl looked up from her book and smiled, shaking her head.
 
“No. It’s free. No giggling girls around here either,” she said with an all knowing smile. Myungsoo let out a muffled snort and sat down, pulling out his homework.
 
“Or not. Group of girls coming! Hide your face!” she whispered hurriedly, shoving her book at him. Myungsoo ducked behind the book, shoving his face into it as the girl bent over papers on the table.
 
“I swear I saw him come this way...”
 
“Maybe he looped around and left...”
 
The group passed him, and Myungsoo breathed out a sigh of relief. “Thanks. I can’t escape them anywhere,” he said, handing the book back to the girl.
 
“It’s okay. I feel sorry for you, being mobbed like that all of the time.”
 
Myungsoo stared at the girl. She was pretty. She was definitely pretty. She had a nice smile too, and she didn’t seem too crazy. “I’m sorry, but it looks like you know who I am, but I don’t really know who you are.”
 
She chuckled and stared down at the table sheepishly. “Sorry if it creeps you out. My name’s Nicole.”
 
“Oh, Nicole. Pretty name.”
 
Nicole stared at him for a moment before Myungsoo got apprehensive and asked her what she was looking at.
 
“You really do only make one face.”
 
Myungsoo was taken aback.
 
“Yeah, same face.” She giggled a little bit and picked her book back up as Myungsoo gave her a rare grin.
 
“So what if I do?”
 
“Do you want to go to the dance with me?” she blurted out. Myungsoo was surprised again, though he was sure she couldn’t really tell, especially if he only made once face.
 
“Uh... sure. I’ll warn you though, I’m not much of a dancer.”
 
“Don’t worry about it.”
 
“I’ll pick you up at eight.”
 
“But I’m supposed to. Girls and guys are supposed to switch roles for this dance.”
 
“So... I’ll pick you up at eight,” Myungsoo said slowly, trying not to smile as she laughed again.
 
“Yeah, sure.”