28

Voice of my Heart

 

Valentine’s Day was coming up, and it was one of those days that Myungsoo didn’t particularly care for, what with all the red, and pink, and giggling girls. He knew it was too much to hope that you would be annoyed by it, too, but with the way you giggled with your friends, he knew it was a losing battle for him.
 
“Are you making chocolates again this year?” he asked as the two of you passed by the bars of chocolates at the grocery store. Every year, you bought a few and made chocolates for your closest guy friends. They even had a few new molds that you didn’t have.
 
“Yep. I make chocolates every year,” you said, grabbing a few bars and throwing it into the cart with the rest of the groceries for your mom.
 
“Guess that means I’ll have to start thinking about what to get you for White Day,” Myungsoo said with a sigh. You gave him an indignant look, and he grinned at you before pinching your cheek. “You’re so cute. Stop that.”
 
“No, you stop that! That hurts!” you said, rubbing at your cheek and pouting.
 
“So cute.” He pinched your other cheek, making you whine and kick his shin.
 
“Ow! Hey! That’s my shin!”
 
“And these are my cheeks.”
 
--
 
The school had a strict policy that large gifts and balloons were not to be carried around in the hallways or in the classrooms because they would cause distractions. During Valentine’s Day, the front office would be full of gigantic teddy bears, balloons, and even a few baskets of flowers with students’ names on them to be taken home after school.
 
“I’m never going to understand why people would try to force that on someone and make them suffer while carrying it around all day,” you said, eyeing the row of gigantic teddy bears. It wasn’t even time for lunch yet.
 
You’d spend the night before melting down chocolate and pouring it into molds, waiting for it to solidify so you could wrap it up and put them into cute boxes for your friends. You carried them all in a bag, waiting until you saw your friends. You’d see most of them during lunch, but you’d have to wait until after school to see Sungjong. 
 
“So, you’re saying you wouldn’t want an oversized stuffed animal?”
 
“Yeah. No gigantic stuffed animals please.”
 
“Well, that’s one thing I can cross off of my list,” Myungsoo said with a laugh. So far, he had about a dozen different gifts and chocolates from other girls. You thought it was cute the way they all fell out of his locker every time he had to open it to get his things. Just like in the animes, you said as he frantically tried to stuff them back inside of his locker.
 
The two of you sat down at your usual lunch table with your friends, and Sungyeol held out his hands expectantly. You rolled your eyes and dug around in your bag for a pink box with a white ribbon and handed it to him.
 
“Happy Valentine’s Day!” you said, handing Hoya a purple box, and Dongwoo a green one.
 
“Where’s mine? Don’t think I’ve been following you around all day just because I want to,” Myungsoo said indignantly.
 
“Yeah. You’ve been scaring away people trying to give me gifts,” you said, narrowing your eyes at him.
 
“Serves them right.” He sat in his chair haughtily and held his hand out, looking at you expectantly. You laughed and reached into your bag, pulling out a box wrapped in plaid material.
 
“Plaid wrapping paper. Wow. Okay,” Sungyeol said, taking a bite out of your chocolate heart.
 
“Sometimes, it feels like he likes plaid more than me,” you said with a slight pout as Myungsoo examined the box.
 
“Where did you find this? This is amazing.”
 
“It’s fabric. I got it at the craft store.”
 
“Amazing.”
 
You pouted some more.