14

Voice of my Heart

 

"Hey. Wake up and eat before I eat everything," Myungsoo said as he sat down on his bed, holding a tray of food. You whined and didn't move.
 
"Are my ears deceiving me? You're denying food?"
 
You groaned and rubbed at your eyes, trying to open them. You sat up and sighed before taking in a deep breath and reaching for a fork. The two of you ate in silence for a few minutes.
 
"I called your mom to let her know you're over here. I didn't tell her what happened. I'm pretty sure she already knows what you've been doing."
 
You swallowed and felt the color drain from your face.
 
"I don't think your parents will be too mad if you come clean about what you've been doing. You can still fix this," Myungsoo said, taking a sip of his orange juice.
 
You sighed. "I'm scared, Myungsoo."
 
"You'll be okay. Your parents were teenagers once, too. If you want, I'll go with you."
 
You nodded slightly and took another bite of your eggs. "If you want to... I'd appreciate it."
 
Myungsoo grinned at you and reached out to ruffle your bed head. "It's going to take a lot more than dating an to get rid of me."
 
--
 
Your parents sat across from you at the kitchen table, noting your disheveled appearance and the fact that you were still wearing Myungsoo's clothes.
 
Your eyes were less swollen, and the silence was awkward until Myingsoo grabbed your hand and squeezed it, urging you gently to tell your parents what'd been going on.
 
And with the reassurance from Myungsoo, everything started to spill. You confessed about lying to them to sneak out to parties at night with Woohyun, getting in trouble at school for sleeping through all of your classes, the real reason why your grades were dropping, among other things.
 
By the time you were done, tears were silently streaming down your face as you apologized over and over again. Your parents looked at you fondly before mouthing a silent 'thank you' to Myungsoo.
 
"Thank you for telling us about this. Are you going to fix this?"
 
You nodded furiously, sniffing and wiping tears away from your eyes.
 
"You know you're still going to be punished?"
 
You nodded again.
 
"No phone, no internet, no going out until you bring your grades back up. You are to go to school and come straight home afterwards. Do you understand?"
 
You nodded. "Yes."
 
"Go to your room and clean yourself up. You have school tomorrow."
 
You stood up and sniffed, surrendering your phone before you parents even asked for it. Myungsoo stood up with you, and you hugged him briefly.
 
"Thank you, Myungsoo."
 
He held you for a second and kissed the top of your head. "You're welcome."
 
Myungsoo watched as you headed to the bathroom. "I'm going to do something really stupid and selfish tomorrow. My parents are out of town, so will you come get me when the school calls?"
 
"Of course. Don't tell me what it is, though. I want to be genuinely surprised when they call," your dad said.