22

Voice of my Heart

 

Winter break came, and you couldn’t be more grateful for the break from school work. You didn’t really talk to anyone outside of your closest friends and Myungsoo. Krystal was trying to find ways to ruin your life for ruining Woohyun’s, but you couldn’t care less about her, and neither could anyone else at the school.
 
Your phone rang, and you picked it up without even looking at the name that popped up. “Yes, sir?”
 
“Since when do you call me sir?” Myungsoo asked, laughing over the phone.
 
“Since now. You rang?”
 
“Yeah. Sunggyu’s coming back for the break and wants to introduce us to his girlfriend. He set up an ice skating and lunch meeting on Saturday. You coming?”
 
“Of course! Like I would miss this. You’re going, too.”
 
Myungsoo sighed heavily over the phone. “You know I can’t ice skate...”
 
“I know. You have to learn somehow. Come on! It’ll be fun!”
 
“How is falling on ice fun?”
 
“Myungsoo,” you whined. You heard silence over the phone until Myungsoo heaved a heavy sigh. You squealed, knowing you’d won.
 
“Fine. Whatever. I expect you to take care of my bruised and battered self after this is over.”
 
--
 
Myungsoo was getting ready to kill someone ten minutes into the ice skating session. Sungyeol thought it would be funny to push him out into the middle of the rink, leaving him helpless and stranded while everyone else skated circles around him.
 
“Ha, ha. Very funny. I am not amused,” Myungsoo said, glaring at everyone. You finished tying your skates on and skated out onto the ice, stopping in front of Myungsoo and grabbing his hands.
 
“You guys are so wrong,” you said, shaking your head with a laugh.
 
“He’s not going to learn clinging to the wall and glaring at us while we skate by him,” Sungyeol said, skating by Myungsoo and purposely bumping into him, making him wobble unsteadily.
 
“So help me, Sungyeol. The second we’re on solid land, I’m going to kill you.” Sungyeol laughed as he skated away with Sungjong while Dongwoo held onto Hoya’s arm and pulled him away.
 
You helped Myungsoo find his balance and skated backwards, pulling him forward slowly.
 
“I don’t understand how you can do this so easily,” he said through gritted teeth, clearly afraid to fall.
 
“I’m not afraid to fall. It’ll hurt for a little bit, but the pain fades, and you get the satisfaction of learning to skate on your own.”
 
“Sounds a lot like falling in love,” Sungyeol said as he skated by you, holding Sungjong’s hand. You turned and raised your eyebrow at them to see them make an arm heart and throw it at you and Myungsoo.
 
“I’m going to kill him,” Myungsoo said, wobbling on his feet again. You laughed and started to skate again, pulling Myungsoo along.
 
“Can’t you just pull me like Dongwoo does with Hoya?”
 
“Do you see how they have to stop? They crash into the wall,” you said, giving him a look of disbelief.
 
Across the way, Sungyeol spotted Sunggyu walking up to the ice rink, holding a cute girl’s hand. “Oh! His girlfriend is cute!” he said, dragging Sungjong over to the other side.
 
“Slow down! We’re going to flip over the wall!” Sungjong yelled. Both of them crashed with a loud thud into the wall, startling Sunggyu and his girlfriend.
 
“Hey, Sungyeol! Long time no see. Who’s this?” he asked, eyeing Sungjong.
 
“Oh, this is Sungjong. He’s a sophmore this year.”
 
Dongwoo and Hoya stopped next to them with even louder thuds.
 
“And Dongwoo and Hoya.” Sunggyu’s girlfriend greeted them with a smile on her face.
 
“Guys, this is Eunji, my girlfriend. I really like her, so try not to scare her off, will you?” All of them laughed before greeting her.
 
“We have lots of stories to tell you about him,” Sungyeol said, leaning on the edge.
 
“Where’s Myungsoo and...” Sunggyu didn’t have to look far to see you and Myungsoo still on the ice. Myungsoo slipped and yelled, wrapping his arms around you to keep from falling. You were laughing and shaking your head as Myungsoo said something rapidly about not wanting to fall.
 
“Are they finally dating yet?”
 
“No,” Hoya said with a sigh.
 
“Oh. They look like they are,” Eunji said, looking out with curiosity.
 
“They should be. They’ve been best friends for years.”
 
You eventually got Myungsoo to let go of you and grabbed his hand before skating off with him trailing behind you. You spotted your friends gathered around Sunggyu, and you waved to him. Sunggyu waved back and smiled as you stopped in front of him with Myungsoo.
 
“It’s good to see you guys! This is Eunji, my girlfriend.” She bowed again as you two bowed to her.
 
“So. Who’s cold and wants some lunch?”
 
“Everyone except Sungyeol. He’s dying soon,” Myungsoo said with a glare.
 
"Is he always like that?" Eunji asked Sunggyu quietly. Sunggyu nodded.
 
"Usually he only has one expression on his face. Except when she's around," Sunggyu said, pointing at you. You were holding Myungsoo back as he tried to pull himself over to Sungyeol.
 
"Oh. They're cute," Eunji whispered as you poked Myungsoo in the face while he fumed.
 
"Yeah. They are."