26

Voice of my Heart

 

For New Year’s your parents and Myungsoo’s parents were at a party with mutual friends, leaving you and Myungsoo to spend New Year’s with your own friends. Everyone was gathered at Sungyeol’s house, waiting for the ball to drop at midnight.
 
“This . Alone on New Year’s Eve,” Sungyeol said with a sigh. Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong were on the floor playing Mario Kart DS, Dongwoo yelling every time he moved places.
 
Sunggyu and Eunji were curled up on the couch together watching the various bands perform on the TV while you and Myungsoo sat at the kitchen table, eating foods and talking.
 
“Do you think they’re dating yet?” Sungyeol asked, hovering over Sungjong’s shoulder.
 
“I dunno. I thought they were already dating?”
 
“No, no. They were just really comfortable with each other. Something seems different about them now.” Sungyeol peeked over the couch to see you feeding Myungsoo a nacho before eating one of your own.
 
“Maybe your forever alone brain is looking for something not so forever alone to get your mind off of being forever alone,” Hoya said, fist pumping when he crossed the finish line in first place.
 
“No! Ugh! I hate you!” Dongwoo said, dropping his DS. Sungjong sighed.
 
“Why do you always have red shells at the end? Is this some conspiracy?”
 
“Guys. Back to me. My topic is much more interesting than your Mario Kart game, okay?” Sungyeol said, pinching the bridge of his nose and shaking his head. Sunggyu rolled his eyes and glanced backwards over the couch.
 
“Are you two dating?”
 
“Yes,” you both said simultaneously in one flat tone.
 
“And there you go,” Sunggyu said, “problem solved.”
 
“No, wait, yes to what?” Sungyeol asked, standing up. You glanced over to him and raised an eyebrow.
 
“Yes to Sunggyu’s question? Did he ask another one that we didn’t hear?”
 
“So you two really are dating?”
 
“No,” Myungsoo said, reaching out to move a stray strand of hair from your face.
 
“No, you’re not dating?”
 
“No, we really are dating.”
 
Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong looked around at each other with pained expression on their faces. This conversation was getting nowhere, and Sungyeol was just making it harder on himself.
 
“Sungyeol. They’re dating. They said so. Let it go,” Hoya said, laying down on Dongwoo’s legs. Sungjong used Hoya’s stomach as his pillow.
 
“What? But. We’ve been trying to get them to date for years. And it happens, just like that? No. No. That’s too easy.”
 
“Guys, the ball is dropping. Shh. Let the not forever alone people listen so we can kiss at midnight,” Sunggyu said, sitting up with Eunji.
 
The others grabbed their noisemakers and poppers and gathered in the living room, ready to count down as the ball dropped.
 
Myungsoo wrapped his arms around you, and the two of you watched the numbers count down.
 
“Five... four... three... two... one! Happy New Year!” Poppers were popped, little mini streamers were everywhere. Sunggyu and Eunji shared a short kiss, laughing at each other.
 
The boys shared punches.
 
And you and Myungsoo were still kissing.
 
“Holy crap, they really are dating!”