03

Voice of my Heart

 

When the two of you hit middle school, things started to change, physically and mentally. You suddenly hit a growth spurt, leaving you a few inches taller than Myungsoo. And while everyone made fun of you for being so tall all of a sudden, Myungsoo knew you were self conscious and scared them away with his stares.
 
“Thanks, Myungsoo,” you said as he pushed you on the swing.
 
“For what?”
 
“For defending me. I didn’t really know what to say when that guy called me a freak.” 
 
Myungsoo nodded, even though you couldn’t see him. He gave you a final push, and you jumped off of the swing, landing in the gravel with a satisfying thud. Myungsoo climbed on the swing, and you wiped your hands off before starting to push him.
 
“It’s not your fault you suddenly decided to be a giant,” he said, laughing as you slapped him on the back.
 
“Myungsoo!”
 
“I’m just kidding. Watch, you’ll never get taller after this, and everyone will get taller than  you forever.”
 
You rolled your eyes.
 
The irony of that conversation never failed to escape you after Myungsoo went through his growth spurt. He was even taller than you, even more gangly. His hair was poofy, shaggy, and long, making him look like a puppy.
 
You walked into the courtyard at school suddenly needed to look up to see Myungsoo’s face. You blinked at him in disbelief as he smirked down at you.
 
“When did this happen?”
 
“Over the weekend, obviously.”
 
You blinked at him rapidly before shaking your head and heading inside. “Did your mom take a rolling pin to you or something?”
 
“She tried.”