39

Voice of my Heart

 

There was a can of Monster waiting in Myungsoo’s hand when you wandered through the front gates of the school. The bow on your uniform was slightly crooked, and no matter how much concealer you put on, your dark circles were still showing underneath your eyes.
 
“I told you to go to sleep,” Myungsoo said as you took the can from him and took a long drink from it.
 
“I was excited. But now that I’m here, I don’t remember what I was excited for,” you said, leaning on Myungsoo and frowning at your feet.
 
“You were excited for me, right?” You stood up straight and saw Sungjong walking up with Amber, the two of them holding hands. You squealed and ran right for them, jumping on them and throwing your arms around them.
 
“Hey. Invasion of personal space here,” Amber said with a mock scowl. She shoved you off of her and fixed her uniform as Sungjong laughed.
 
“You act like you haven’t seen us all summer. You saw us at least one a week.”
 
“Hey, how come you never greet me like that? Do I have to break some noses?” Myungsoo said with a smile in his voice as he came up behind you and grabbed your hand.
 
“You can try.” Sparks of challenge flew around Myungsoo and Amber’s bodies while you and Sungjong stood off to the side, talking excitedly about school. You were suddenly interrupted while telling Sungjong about a scholarship when someone rudely bumped into you, sending you almost falling to the ground if Sungjong hadn’t caught you.
 
You turned around and saw Woohyun walking by with a smirk on his face, surrounded by his friends. You locked eyes and glared at him until your own smirk appeared on your face. “Hey, Woohyun. Nice to see you again. Your parents finally pay for that nose job?”
 
You’d heard rumors that Woohyun was forced to crawl out of his house and find a job to fix his nose because his parents still refused to pay for it. They took back his car and forced him to study all summer in summer school to bring his grades back up. His smirk turned into a scowl before he disappeared into the school.
 
You felt Myungsoo step closer to you with some sort of angry, possessiveness you hadn’t felt from him since... well, ever. “If he tries to do anything to you, I swear, I’m going to rearrange his face to the point where plastic surgery wouldn’t save him.”
 
“I’ll help. I’ve never liked him anyway,” Amber said. 
 
Sungjong sighed. “At least it’ll be his last year here. Then we’ll be free of him!”
 
“You forget. The rest of us are graduating, too. You’re going to be here by your lonesome next year,” Myungsoo said, ruffling Sungjong’s hair as the four of you made your way inside the school.
 
“What? No! Don’t leave me!”