13

Voice of my Heart

 

The morning after was a Sunday. Myungsoo untangled himself from you and slipped out of bed, grabbing his phone from his desk before glancing back at you. You were still asleep, and he could tell that your eyelids were swollen. Many times, he'd held you while you cried about something through the night.
 
Usually, you'd be up early in the morning, complaining about a headache with barely open eyes and swollen eyelids. He thought it was cute how you always tried to smile through it and throw things at him when he made an eye joke. Then he'd cut up some cucumbers and make you some tea so you could work on opening your eyes all the way.
 
But you were still asleep, misery showing on your face even then. Myungsoo sighed. You must've really liked Woohyun.
 
Myungsoo padded downstairs and opened up his fridge, looking for ingredients to make breakfast. He glanced up at the clock and frowned before pulling out his phone and dialing your house number. He didn't know how long you'd been lying to your parents and sneaking out at night, but he was going to help you fix up your life, whether you wanted him to help or not.
 
"Hello? Myungsoo?"
 
"Hi, Mom Two. How are you this morning?" He called your mom, Mom Two, while you called his mom that. It was a pun of sorts. You both had two moms, or that the other's mom was your mom, too. Myungsoo remembered the look on your face when he explained it to you and smiled slightly.
 
"It's past noon, Myungsoo," she said with a laugh. "To what do I owe this pleasure? I haven't heard from you in a while."
 
"Yeah, I've been a little occupied, but you'll be seeing more of me now. Anyway, I was just calling to let you know something happened over at Krystal's and-"
 
"Oh my god. Is my daughter okay?"
 
"Yeah, she's fine. She called me, and I went and picked her up so she's over at my house right now. She cried through most of the night, and she's still sleeping."
 
"Oh, god. I thought something bad happened. As long as she's okay."
 
"She'll be okay. I'll take her home later today."
 
"Okay. Thank you so much for letting us know, Myungsoo. I wish she were dating you instead of that Woohyun boy. He rubs me the wrong way. I don't like him."
 
"I don't think you'll have to worry about him anymore," Myungsoo said. There was silent understanding over the phone as your mother sighed.
 
"She's lucky to have a friend like you."
 
Myungsoo and your mom talked a little bit more until she let him go. He laid his phone down on the kitchen table and started work on breakfast before you woke up.