27

Voice of my Heart

 

School started again too soon. The day before, everyone bid goodbye to Sunggyu as he and Eunji returned to their school. Sunggyu said he would probably be back for the summer, but the summer was a long way away.
 
“You two. Be good,” Sunggyu said, looking from you to Myungsoo. You laughed at Sunggyu and gave him a hug before he grinned at you and got into the car. “I’ll see you guys in the summer!”
 
Everyone stood and watched as he pulled out of his driveway and disappeared down the street.
 
When school started again, people were whispering about you and Myungsoo. Woohyun glared every time you passed by him, holding Myungsoo’s hand. Myungsoo couldn’t help but shoot him smirks, and whenever he noticed Woohyun was in a particularly bad mood, he’d crack a joke about his nose.
 
“Could you not provoke him, Myungsoo? I don’t want you getting any more scars. Not like it isn’t attractive or anything, but I’d rather you stay in one piece,” you said, reaching up with your free hand to trace the scar next to Myungsoo’s eye. “Or worse. Expelled.”
 
“I’m allowed this at least. I suffered quietly for months while you dated him. Let me have something. Throw me a bone to gnaw on.”
 
“Or a nose.” Both of you dissolved into laughter, you trying to cover up your mouth so you didn’t laugh so hard.
 
January was the time when teachers decided they wanted to test you on everything you learned so far. They gave reviews, hoping in vain that their students didn’t forget everything they learned over the short winter break.
 
Your mom watched as you and Myungsoo studied quietly in the living room, the silence only broken by your whispering when you didn’t understand something and had Myungsoo explain it to you. You knew Myungsoo was smarter than you. He was definitely going places, and you were starting to wonder if you would find anything you were really good at.
 
It’s not a matter of finding something you’re good at, he told you once. It was a matter of finding something you had a lot of passion for, and putting your all into it. Sometimes, you really hated it when he made sense.
 
“Some hot chocolate for my hardworking scholars,” your mom said, setting down two mugs of hot chocolate in front of you and Myungsoo on the table. Yours had two marshmallows floating on top while Myungsoo’s just had one, just how the both of you liked it.
 
“Thanks, Mom.”
 
“Thanks, Mom Two.”
 
She ruffled Myungsoo’s hair before heading back into the kitchen to watch the two of you take sips of your hot chocolate. It seemed like you sipped too much too fast and cried out as the chocolate burned your tongue.
 
Myungsoo leaned forward and grabbed your chin, pulling your jaw down so he could blow into your mouth. “You should be more careful,” he said, “how are you supposed to shower me with love and affection with a burned tongue?”
 
You made a noise of protest and punched him in the arm as he laughed.