05

Voice of my Heart

 

Myungsoo didn’t notice any change in you, physically and mentally since he saw you nearly every day over the summer. But on the first day of school, all he heard were whispers about how you suddenly ‘got hot’ over the summer.
 
He frowned when he heard the guys talking about you like you were a piece of meat, especially when he’d always thought you were beautiful, ever since he first laid eyes on you in the third grade. Though, the word he used then was ‘pretty’ because beautiful was too big of a word for him.
 
“Myungsoo, calm down. I think you’re going to make someone’s brain explode if you keep glaring that hard,” Sungyeol said. Sungyeol was a mutual friend of yours and his. After Sunggyu, graduated, you were hit with the reality that most of your friends were going to be seniors while you were a junior.
 
Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungyeol were all going to be graduating soon, and you talked to Myungsoo about it sadly the day before. Myungsoo reminded you that there was still a whole year left before they graduated, and who knew? Maybe they would all fail and stay back.
 
“I’m calm. I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Myungsoo said, watching as a group of guys whistled at you as you walked by with your tray, making you shrink up nervously as you sat down with Myungsoo and Sungyeol.
 
“Did I really change that much over the summer?” you asked, giving Sungyeol a mildly appalled look.
 
“I don’t know. I look at you, and I still see the cute little freshman that tripped and fell face first onto the ground in front of me.” Sungyeol and Myungsoo laughed when your face turned bright red, and you stabbed your fork into your mashed potatoes.
 
“It wasn’t my fault! I was carrying a stack of papers for my teacher, and they were tall, okay? Would you just-” You reached over and punched Sungyeol in the arm to make him stop laughing. A group of girls walked by your table and giggled, pointing towards Myungsoo.
 
“Hi, Myungsoo,” one of them said shyly. Myungsoo glanced over to them and smiled awkwardly.
 
“Uh... hi.” They all started to giggle and ran off, clamoring amongst themselves.
 
“They are so weird,” Myungsoo said, staring after them with furrowed eyebrows. “They never say anything more than hi before they run off laughing.”
 
“You have your eye on any girls around here, Myungsoo? You’re attractive with your one facial expression. I’m surprised there aren’t more girls swooning at your feet,” Sungyeol said.
 
“Maybe. Just one.”
 
Your eyes lit up in surprise as you smiled and swallowed your food quickly, almost choking. “What? Oh my god, who? Who? How come you’ve never told me this? We’re best friends!”
 
Before Myungsoo could say anything, someone cleared their throat behind you, and you turned around.
 
“Hi. Uh. I’m Woohyun, and I saw you from across the cafeteria. Don’t think this is weird or anything, but you’re really pretty. And this is for you.” He handed you a folded star, and you blinked a few times and took it from him. “It’s from me, by the way,” he said sheepishly, grinning at you.
 
Myungsoo saw that dazed look in your eyes. You’d had a small crush on Woohyun since freshman year. He was a senior this year, too, and would be graduating soon. Myungsoo knew that you knew it annoyed him when you talked about him, so you tried not to, unless Myungsoo asked. Which he did, out of courtesy.
 
“Way to go!” Sungyeol said, taking the folded star away from you as soon as Woohyun said goodbye and left. You made a whining noise and reached for it, but Sungyeol played keep away, laughing as you yelled at him.
 
Myungsoo was silent in his seat.
 
--
 
--
 
To be polite, Myungsoo said that he disliked Woohyun when you asked him what he thought of Woohyun. Then he would sigh when you pouted, asking him why. Myungsoo didn’t have a good reason to hate Woohyun, but he would find one eventually. It was only a matter of time.
 
“Myungsoo! Myungsoo! Do you remember that folded star he gave me that one day at lunch?” you asked him excitedly over the phone. You could hear Myungsoo’s steady breathing over the phone before he groaned and heaved a sigh.
 
“You called me at four in the morning to ask about that? I’m about to hang up on you,” he mumbled, letting his arm slip off of his bed.
 
“No! Don’t! He wrote his phone number inside! Oh my god, what do I do? Do I call him? Do I text him? Myungsoo,” you whined, pacing around in your room. Myungsoo sighed and sat up in his bed, rubbing at his eyes.
 
“You’re awkward on the phone. Text him. In the morning. At a decent hour. Good night,” he said, before hanging up his phone. He could imagine you squealing in your room right now, running around and throwing stuffed animals in excitement.
 
He wished he could say it didn’t bother him.