37

Voice of my Heart

 

You were half-heartedly working on sketches of your latest designs when your mom knocked on your door and opened it without waiting for your answer. You didn’t look up until she pulled out one of your earphones and raised an eyebrow at you. “You’re really going to make him do that all night? I want to get some sleep, you know.”
 
“What’re you talking...” Your voice trailed off when you heard the soft pitter patter of pebbles flying against your window. You turned towards your window and frowned. “How long has he been out there?”
 
“About half an hour now,” your mom said, shaking her head. “These things are going to ruin your ears one day.” She left your room with a sigh. You got up and made your way over to your window slowly. Myungsoo’s silhouette was visible in the light from your front porch, and he was getting ready to hurl another round of pebbles at your window when you opened it, your unhappiness still showing on your face. He dropped the pebbles and cleared his throat, getting down on one knee.
 
“But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!” You inadvertently snorted, a smile appearing on your face. A grin broke out on Myungsoo’s face. “Please don’t make me say the rest of the monologue. I only know those two lines.”
 
You sighed and leaned on your window sill as Myungsoo got up to his feet and brushed off the dirt from his knees. “What are you doing here, Myungsoo? It’s past ten at night.”
 
“Trying to make you feel better with a cheesy monologue from Romeo and Juliet. What does it look like? But I don’t really want to end up like Romeo and Juliet, so I guess I should’ve just stuck with a cheesy pick up line.” Myungsoo watched you blink at him a few times with the same sad expression you had on your face earlier in the day, and it was his turn to sigh. “Look, I’m sorry. I should be more supportive of you, not only because I’m your boyfriend, but because I’m your best friend, too. And I should have more faith in you, but it’s just that I worry about you, and I don’t want to see you get hurt or be disappointed when things don’t go your way.”
 
Myungsoo waited for you to say something, but when it looked like you weren’t going to say anything, he sighed again and rubbed the back of his neck. It was silent for a few moments before you turned to leave the window, leaving Myungsoo to start panicking for a moment until you reappeared holding something in your hands.
 
“Do you remember, in the third grade, when you said your favorite pokemon was Slowpoke?” Myungsoo blinked rapidly a few times until you threw what you were holding at him. He scrambled to catch whatever you threw at him and examined it in the porch light. “I made you one.”
 
The plush was soft, and though Slowpoke was an easy pokemon to draw and create, you took care with the sewing and details so none of the stitches showed. “I...”
 
You closed your window and left. Myungsoo stared at the plush in his hands before tucking it under his arm and running through the front door.