Chapter Twenty Four

White Rainbow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Talking about Lantian, after she saved Caihong, she quickly returned to the palace and found out that her mother had already left.

When she arrived home, she was informed to go to the library room.

Lantian knew exactly that it was the summon of her father and she realized why he called her to meet.

Next week, the ambassador from the neighboring country would visit Song. Lady Chen was called by the queen to assist to organize the welcome feast, and she took Lantian with her by telling that she needed an assistant but her real purpose was to promote the daughter – with hope to tie her with any good young man.

Lantian didn’t know about that. The reason she agreed to go with her mother was because she wanted to help her. However, her mind was not at ease when she was reminded of Ehuang inviting her brother to her house; she felt the eldest girl would do something to her sister. Hence, before she left the house, she told Xiaolan to check on the Yang’s homestead. When Xiaolan saw Caihong climb on the carriage, she went to report her mistress, then Lantian quickly left the palace by taking the carriage of her mother. Even though she couldn’t allow her mother to walk home. When she arrived at the hill, she told the carriage driver to go back and she walked on foot up the hill to search for Caihong.

This was a small matter, but her father would take this as big as a mountain and make it an excuse to blame her. Nonetheless, she was not scared; she walked into the study room with bravery.

Inside, there were not only her father and her mother, lady Mei, lady Mu, Longwei and Dongmei also present.

Within a tense face, Wu Guang stood in the middle of the room, while lady Chen stood by his side – with a worried expression.

Just seeing the daughter, the high minister showed his powerful voice, “Where are you from?”

“I’m from the palace,” Lantian stated.

“You lie.”

“I don’t lie. You can send your people to check.”

“I was told you left the palace, now you said you came from the palace, do you think I am stupid to believe in your word?”

“I had left, but I returned to it before I came here.”

Hearing the words of the daughter and seeing her speak with eyes looking straight at him, Wu Guang believed that she did not say untrue. His temper dropped one level. However, he still held his hard expression.

“Where did you go?”

“I had a task.”

“What is that task?”

“It's a personal task.”

“What is that personal task? Is it important?” Wu Guang raised his voice one level.

“It’s urgent.”

“Urgent! Was the sky falling down or the sea draining? That made you even not care and leave your mother alone like this.”

Listening for a while, Lantian felt that she did not understand what her father was talking about. His speech seemed out of topic and he was trying to accuse her more than searching for justice for her mother.

Lantian saw clearly even though she tried to explain, he would not listen; therefore, silent was better.

But this action made her father become more anxious; he thought she was mocking him, he was in rage, then yelled strongly, causing even Longwei and Dongmei to tremble.

“You are getting worse day by day. Last time you left the party without informing, today you left your mother without care. What will happen tomorrow? You are a woman, but look at you. You are a destroyer. Drink wine, gambling, go to brothel. I tell you, don’t bring illness to this house.”

All the words were like pieces of fire; they were burning inside mind, but Lantian tried to remove it – before it became a big flame.

“Are you finished?” She said.

“Not yet,” Wu Guang shouted. He wanted to continue but lady Chen hurriedly cut in because she saw Lantian was not having a happy expression.

“It’s enough, master. Don’t blame our daughter. She didn’t leave me alone. She told me already that she had a task and I allowed her to go.”

“Stop finding excuses for her.” Wu Guang turned to yell at his wife. “Because she has a mother like you, that’s why she is bad like this.”

Hearing the abused words of the father towards mother, Lantian became irate immediately.

“Why do you blame mother?” She said.

“I blame her because it’s her fault. She is the mother, she has to educate the children, but she does not. She does not respect her duty, she spoils you, that’s why you are terrible,” Wu Guang said.

“Oh! It’s all mother’s fault, and you are not at fault!”

This sentence made lady Chen panic. She tried to warn her daughter, “Lantian, that’s enough.” But the daughter did not listen because the fire filled her chest already; there was no day she agreed to lose – especially to her father.

The same; the father didn’t agree to lose to his daughter either.

“What is my fault?” Wu Guang said. His voice was hard and loud.

“She is a mother, and you are a father. You said she doesn't respect her duty, what’s about you? Do you respect your duty as a father?”

“What is it that you said I don’t respect? I go to work, I earn money, I buy this house and I feed everyone in the house.”

“What’s about taking care of children?”

“Taking care of children is the duty of women.”

“Children are not women alone, it’s the children of the men too. Why do the women have to take care of the children, but the men do not?”

“It’s the rule from our ancestors.”

“Who are those crazy ancestors? Tell me.”

“You!” Wu Guang unlocked his eyes big. Not only him but also everyone was shocked to hear Lantian’s words.

“You dare to insult the ancestors! Are you not afraid of punishment?”

“If I am afraid, I won’t say it,” Lantian responded. “Unless they were crazy or they would not create such a crazy rule.”

“You!” Wu Guang pointed finger at his daughter. In fact he wanted to scold his rude daughter, but he didn’t know any words to scold her. At last he had to spin the cannon to his wife.

“You see. This is your good daughter. What did you teach her? She dares to insult the ancestors. I go to work every day, from mornin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter