sometimes

Espresso Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sometimes, Hitomi caught Minjoo having that glazed look on her face while watching their only son play around with his toys. Minjoo doesn't seem to be aware of it and constantly dismisses it as the usual "spacing out" moment whenever Hitomi confronts her.

 

Minjoo assures her that she's still that clumsy, slightly air-headed girl Hitomi first met on the campus orientation week. Just a bit more mature now, and has a lot more burdens and responsibilities on her shoulders. She still spaces out like before, and she doesn't think it will ever change.

 

But,

 

Hitomi knows that's not true.

 

Hitomi sees it in her glazed, but deep look in her eyes. Hitomi knows that Minjoo absolutely loves Sunwoo, but she feels that Minjoo holds some sort of resentment towards their only child.

 

But why?

 

--

 

It grows more apparent as Sunwoo grows up. He's the only child, but Hitomi feels like the love they are pouring for him is lacking for an only child.

 

While her relationship with Sunwoo is great, she can't say the same about Minjoo.

 

It's... Very unexpected. Since Minjoo is great with kids, she always thought Minjoo would be the one having the greatest relationship with Sunwoo, not her. She knows Minjoo loves him dearly, and he loves her too--but Minjoo is always... Tense, whenever she's with Sunwoo for some reason.

 

Sunwoo is a smart, empathetic child; he picked up that Minjoo is slightly uncomfortable with him very quickly once Hitomi started working again and left him with his other mother more often. He's tactful enough not to ask Hitomi about it, but there have been hints that he's been meaning to ask--but he always dismisses it before the question rolls past his lips.

 

--

 

As Sunwoo approaches his stormy puberty days, the rift between Minjoo and Sunwoo grows wider.

 

Minjoo is an even-tempered woman. She knows how to control her emotion well and never really blows a fuse at Hitomi or Sunwoo or anyone. Though, as her wife, Hitomi knows well what kind of storm will happen if Minjoo ever loses her patience.

 

The seemingly endless patience is running thin as she gradually ages and Sunwoo is nearing the peak of his puberty--meaning more chances of small arguments that can quickly grow out of proportion.

 

Sunwoo certainly takes after his other mother. He's definitely Minjoo's son, both in appearances and traits. The things that he has in similarity with Hitomi are small in comparison. He wears his heart on his sleeves, but there's a deeper part of his heart that is unreachable. His fox-like eyes usually shine thousand of expressions, but they can be as b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter