019

I Want To Look At You

 

 

“Is everything alright, noona?” Jaehyun asked as they walked in the living room, Hana nodded back.

“Just a little tired from the flight. How was your weekend?” She asked while gesturing for him to sit down.

“My sister seems to be taking advantage of my agreeing to work with her, she made me attend her meetings.”

“Then, unnie must have been busy. She’s been doing it alone for years.” Hana saw Chani walk to the kitchen, her brows rose briefly.

“It’s not that, she didn’t feel like going to her meetings because her outfit made her feel gloomy. That was her reasoning.” Jaehyun murmured, Hana chuckled and shook her head.

“A very Jung Jaerin thing to say. Anyway, I’ll go check on dinner. Do you want anything to drink?” Hana started to stand, Jaehyun smiled at her.

“W—What?” The girl blinked at him, and then also stood up. Hana paused as the male slowly leaned forward and then she felt the tips of his fingertips brush against her cheek.

“Your hair was sticking to you face, noona.” He said with a small smile before taking a seat again, Hana puffed her cheeks and made her way to the kitchen.

“We still have the pesto ahjumma made for us. Fresh.” Chani spoke as his sister walked in the room, Hana nodded back and watched as he manned the stove. Her brother had taken out some chicken and vegetables.

“How about kebabs too, noona?” He asked without facing her.

“Sounds good too.”

“And how about kale salad?”

“Yeah, sure.” Hana nodded, Chani rolled his eyes and faced his sister.

“You just said yes to kale.”

Hana paused, she diverted her gaze to the oven before speaking.

“Jaehyun might like it. I think he does.” Hana continued, Chani shrugged and faced the stove. Hana sighed and walked to her brother; she mussed his hair before peeking over what he was cooking.

“Pesto looks good.” She commented.

“It will look better if you leave the kitchen.” Chani replied as his sister tried to reach for the cheese. Hana smiled before giving her brother a quick hug from the bag, Chani paused.

“Is something wrong?” He asked her, Hana shook her head.

“Are you busy tomorrow?” Hana poured herself a glass of water.

“I’m needed at the school but, I don’t have really have to go. What’s up?”

“Make time for me then. I’ll come by around lunch?” Hana spoke, Chani have her a thumbs up.

“Now, go back and let me cook dinner in peace, noona.”

“You bra~”

“Don’t keep Jaehyun hyung waiting.” Chani said teasingly, Hana sighed at him.

“It’s not like that.”

“Sure, that’s what you said years ago too.” Chani had to duck as a carrot flew right by his head.

Jaehyun heard footsteps coming near him, he looked up from his phone.

“I feel like I intruded on your Sunday evening, noona.”

“You didn’t, its usually just Chani and I.” Hana replied as she plopped down across him.

“I meant with Rowoon hyung. I don’t mean to pry but…it felt a little weird earlier.”

“Rowoon…can be a little…difficult.” Hana shrugged in reply, Jaehyun chewed on his lower lip before speaking again.

“Did you hear about the SongAm fundraising event this weekend?”

“Their yearly gala? I have.” Hana said as she picked up the remote control and shifted her gaze to the television.

“Then, are you going?”

“Most likely.” Hana grew distracted as she listened to the news.

“Would you like to go together, noona?”

Hana turned her gaze to him and she was taken aback when she realizing that Jaehyun was staring right back at her.

“S—Sure, that would be nice, Jaehyun-ah.”

 

 

 

“Let’s finalize that before moving on with the HanShin issue. What did the PR team say about the release next week?” Rowoon was on the phone one of their branch managers. He leaned back on his seat and slightly loosened his tie.

“Everything’s going well so far, sir. There have been questions regarding our newer models, but it’s all been covered.”

Rowoon nodded and checked the time on his watch.

“Have them email the final report to me by today.”

“Yes, then, have a nice day, vice president.”

As soon as Rowoon put his phone down, the doors to his office opened. His mother marched into the room with her purse hanging on one arm, she had her eyes on Rowoon before looking around.

“You’re alone.” She blurted out.

“It’s…my office, eomma.” Rowoon blinked at her as he stood up to greet the elder.

“I just assumed Hana would be here and you two would be having coffee or something. I haven’t seen her in a while.”

“Hana’s busy lately, eomma. You’ve seen the news.” Rowoon said as he sat down beside his mother.

“I did. How is she holding up? I’m worried that those pesky pseudo relatives of her will try doing something again.”

“She’s…okay.” Rowoon murmured, he glanced at his phone again. He wanted to call Hana, but he was concerned that she might not answer.

“Anyway, send my love to her. And tell her to come over for lunch sometime. I wanted to talk to you about SongAm.”

“Oh.” Rowoon grimaced and that immediately earned him a slap on the arm.

“This year you should bring your girlfriend. You always bring Hana, at this rate with the three of you always hovering around her, she won’t be able to marry!” Mrs. Kim nagged.

“I don’t think she ever plans to~” Rowoon grimaced again as his mother slapped his arm.

“I promised her parents I’d watch over, don’t say that. Hana will find a suitable husband.”

Rowoon shook his head, his secretary walked in the room with tea.

“Son, don’t you think it’s about time for your father and I to finally meet this woman you’ve been seeing?” Mrs. Kim said, Rowoon nodded back at her.

“I…I’ll talk to her about this, eomma.” He said with a small smile. Rowoon leaned back on the sofa and drummed his fingers on his lap.

“I made lunch reservations for us today, be there on time. Your father will be there too.” She said as she stood up. Mrs. Kim gathered her coat and purse with her. Rowoon stood up and opened the doors for her.

“Yes, I will be there, samonim.” He said teasingly as he walked his mother to the elevator, she rolled her eyes at him.

“Tell Hana I want to see her, okay?”

Rowoon nodded back.

“I will. Be careful.” Rowoon kissed his mother’s cheek before she got inside the machine, the doors slowly closed, and he let out a small sigh.

“Sir,” His secretary approached him, Rowoon nodded at the male.

“About the thing you asked me to check on,” He said softly, the young executive paused for a moment.

“I still have nothing, sir. But, miss Eom does take a lot of business trips for work. It seems part of her job.”

“It is, thanks for checking on that. Is Hana in her office?” Rowoon asked as they headed back for his office.

“I called like you asked, but the young miss has stepped out.”

 

 

 

“You made it sound so urgent on the phone, noona.” Chani said as he took the seat across his sister, they were at a nearby restaurant just a few blocks from his school.

“I only wanted to talk to you once I know how to explain it.” Hana murmured, Chani paused at his sister’s words. And then his eyes went to her vibrating phone on the table, Jihye’s name was flashing on the screen.

“Aren’t you going to take that?”

Hana simply flipped the phone’s screen to downwards before taking out a folder from her purse.

“This is why I came home earlier than planned.” She said as she pushed the folder to him, Chani pursed his lips before taking the item hesitantly, Hana leaned back on her seat and crossed her arms.

Chani halted, his eyes went to her sister.

“H—Halmae…is..” He trailed off, Hana looked away and nodded.

“I wanted to call you right away, but she wouldn’t let me, Chani. She wanted me to fly back and fix things first.”

“Typical of her.” Chani swallowed as he put the folder away, Hana noticed how her brother’s lower lip was shaking.

“She made me talk to her doctors and her lawyer was there too, I thought I was going to lose it.”

“What did they say? They…She can still be cured, right, noona?” Chani reached for her hand, Hana felt tears line her eyes and she could only shake her head.

“She’s not responding to her treatments.” She said softly, Chani leaned back on his seat.

“Halmeoni will be flying her next Monday, if you want, fly to Jeju for the weekend. And, accompany her back here.”

“Noona…is this why..”

“Ever the businesswoman, she wants me to chairman before word gets out. And honestly, I don’t know what to do, Chani.” She murmured, Chani frowned.

“I don’t…I don’t want to lose her, but I can see that she’s in pain.”

“This is why…she always told us that we didn’t need to visit her there. She was hiding this, noona.” Chani said numbly, Hana could only nod at him.

“I’m sorry that I’m only telling you this, noona….noona wanted to explain this to you well. No, I…was so afraid of this, I still am. I didn’t know how to tell you because I couldn’t accept it.” She trailed off as tears rolled down her cheeks, Chani transferred seats and sat next to her.

“Noona,”

“I feel bad, we should have visited her a lot. I shouldn’t have listened to her and simply flew there. And now….I have nothing but these.” She pushed the folder away from her, Chani sighed before pulling her to a hug.

“Chani…I..I’ll take over, I’ll become chairman, just please….don’t let them take halmae away.”

 

 

 

Rowoon held on to the doors as his parents walked in the coffee shop, they had just finished their lunch and his mother wanted to get coffee before going.

“What do you feel like drinking, abeoji?” He asked as he walked towards them.

“It’s fine, go help your mother find a table.” He said, Rowoon nodded back and looked around the café. Mrs. Kim was standing by the stalls, checking the coffee display and some mugs.

“Hana likes this place, right? Get her usual drink.”

“And…I’m going to drink it?” Rowoon blinked, the lady sighed at him.

“No. I don’t care what you want to drink, I’m going to drop by her office before going home.” Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes at her only son.

“Ah, okay.” Rowoon murmured, he was about to walk to his father when he saw Chani and Hana walk in the place. He paused, his brows going up.

“Oh!” Mrs. Kim said excitedly, Rowoon exhaled and shifted his gaze away from the siblings.

“I guess Hana’s not so busy today. Even Chani’s here.” Mrs. Kim started to approach them, Rowoon puffed his cheeks and tailed behind her.

“I want something sweet too, noona.” Chani mumbled as he peered over the cake display, Hana was about to face her sibling again when she felt a tap on her back.

“We meet again.”

Hana turned, and she started to smile.

“Jaehyun-ah,”

Chani looked at the male, he was about to say hi but he noticed the two people behind the older male.

“Auntie, hyung.” Chani greeted the elder with a quick hug, Jaehyun faced the two behind him.

“It’s been so long since I last saw you two kids, how are you? How’s school?” Mrs. Kim asked fondly as she patted Chani’s cheek.

“Let’s not talk about school, auntie.” Chani said with a playful shudder, Hana chuckled before speaking.

“I did promise I’d visit, auntie. Sorry, it’s been hectic for me.” Hana said, but the woman’s eyes weren’t on her.

Jaehyun paused before giving the elder a polite bow, Rowoon watched as Hana glanced at the two.

“Ah, this is Jaehyun, auntie. His family runs Jung~”

“Right, you are the Jung boy. I remember you.” Mrs. Kim said with a chuckle, Chani’s brows went up. Of course, Mrs. Kim would remember, everyone knew about his sister and the mafia prince.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Kim.” Jaehyun said politely, the lady started to smile and nodded.

“I see you two have reconnected, that’s good. That’s good.”

Hana paled and looked away, Jaehyun couldn’t only smile back.

“Noona, I’ll get you your usual?” Jaehyun said as he touched her arm, Rowoon’s brows went up briefly.

“Yes, please.” Hana said, Chani walked after the male as he made his way to the counter.

“How have you been, auntie?”

“I should be asking you that, I saw the news. Those sharks are at it again, huh? Now that your grandmother announced her retirement.” She frowned before taking the girl in her arms, Hana sighed and hugged her back.

“It’s not so bad, auntie. I mean, work is not so bad.” She said, Mrs. Kim gently pulled back from her and then she looked at her son.

“Why aren’t you two saying hi to each other?” She chuckled and saw her husband waving at them.

“I’ll go help your father.” She said before walking away from them, Rowoon looked at Hana.

“I’ve been trying to reach you.” He said.

“I don’t want to talk, Rowoon.”

“About her.”

“Yeah. I don’t want to talk about her.”

“But, you’ll talk to me?” Rowoon said, his eyes went to Jaehyun and Chani briefly.

“I don’t want to make things difficult for you. And, I have a lot on my plate right now.”

“Han, I said I’d help.” Rowoon reached for her hand, but Hana slowly pulled back.

“Does this mean you don’t want to be around me as long as I’m with her?” Rowoon asked, the girl shook her head.

“No. I can’t stand being around you knowing that you’re letting this happen to you.”

“Han, we don’t even know what really happened that time you saw her.”

“The times I saw her, Rowoon. I saw her more than once.” Hana corrected him, Rowoon swallowed and let out a sigh.

“What do you want me to do, Hana?”

“Noona, I got us our coffee.” Hana felt Jaehyun’s presence behind her, Rowoon’s eyes went to him.

“Han,” He spoke again willing the girl to look at him again, Jaehyun looked at the older male, sensing the tension between them.

“I can’t deal with this, Rowoon. Not right now.” She said, Jaehyun silently moved away from the two and joined Chani at their table, his eyebrows were knitted together as he sat down.

“Why are things changing, Han?” Rowoon said softly, the girl paused and slowly shook her head.

“I wish I didn’t see it. I’m sorry.” She shrugged before reaching out to pat his hand.

“I’ll go join them.”

“Han,” Rowoon paused when his phone started to ring, he took it out and Hana saw the name flashing on the screen.

Jihye

“You should take that.” Hana said softly, there a small sad smile on her face as she looked at his phone again.

“No, we need to talk. We can’t keep on doing this.”

Hana her lips and slowly shook her head. She wordlessly reached over and gently cupped his cheek.

Rowoon could only stare at her with worried eyes and she put her hand back to her side. And then the girl walked away from him.

He let out a shaky breath and ran his fingers through his hair before leaving the café.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++