037

I Want To Look At You

 

20XX

 

 

 

“Will it take long?” Rowoon asked as they stepped out of the elevator, Hana nodded back in reply.

“I have a feeling it will, it’s my first meeting their side. How’s your grandfather doing?”

Rowoon had dropped by her office with some documents for work, and now the two were on their way to the coffee shop across the street.

“Not..so good, Han.” Rowoon murmured, she looked at her friend, Hana’s forehead creased, and she reached out to hook arms with him.

“He’ll get through this, he always does.” She said softly as they exited the building.

“But this time, the doctors told us not to be too hopeful and prepare ourselves for the worst. I just…I don’t know what to think anymore, staying at the hospital has become very..” He trailed off and chewed on the insides of his cheek.

Hana frowned, sensing his discomfort.

“I don’t know what I’d do, Han. I…can’t lose him.” Rowoon murmured, Hana paused and faced the male.

“Rowoon-ah, no matter what happens, you’re not going to lose halbae. He…At some point he may leave us, but I know he’ll always look after you. And, he’s..been bedridden for two years, maybe it’s time for him to rest.”

Rowoon met her gaze, Hana sighed and reached up to cup his cheek.

“I’ll always be here for you even though you test my patience most times. I’ll go get us coffee inside, I’m sure halbae wouldn’t want to see you this way.” She let out a small chuckle before giving him a hug.

“You know I at this, so all I can give you is…this.” She murmured as she wrapped her arms around his waist, Rowoon’s lips quirked up.

“I know, you .”

Hana slowly pulled away from him, Rowoon scrunched his nose at her.

“I’ll go get us coffee.” She said before padding towards the coffee shop, Rowoon watched as she got inside the building and took a seat on one of the wooden lounge chairs outside.

He paused when he felt some press against his side, his hand reached for his coat pocket. He laughed as he took out full size Snickers bar with a note stuck on it.

Always here. Just don’t call me in the wee hours of the morning. -Hana

 

 

 

Hana stared at the screen, she was stopping herself from letting out a yawn because surely, the other directors would see that and hold it against her.

But the meeting was just so boring. The man sent by one of their associates was going on and on about green energy and how sustainable it was. They were only supposed to talk about it briefly because the KangSan was planning to build an eco-friendly building that was going to be used as one of their main offices and an apartment complex for their employees.

She leaned back against her chair and reached for the desk; the girl paused.

My phone is at the office.

Hana shook her head to herself; it only has been a year since she started working full-time for the company and a lot of things had changed. Her grandmother was away a lot, and often times she found herself in various situations that always pushed her to decide for KangSan Group. Her eyes went to her aunt’s husband and his son sitting beside him. The two leeches just waiting for her to fail so they could take over.

“Vice chairman,” She felt someone tap her arm, she turned, and secretary Gu was waving for her by the doors.

“I will have to excuse myself but do carry on.” She said politely as she left her seat and made her way out of the hall.

“What is it?”

“I noticed that your phone wouldn’t stop ringing, it’s the young master, ma’am.” The male said as he presented his phone to her, Hana nodded back and tapped on Chani’s name. He answered after a couple of rings.

“Chani-ah, I was in a~”

“Noona, where are you?”

“I’m at work, why?” She grew confused at the tension in his voice.

“I—It’s the chairman Kim,”

Hana stilled, her grip on the device tightened at the mention of Rowoon’s paternal grandfather.

“He passed away about an hour ago. And, they can’t find Rowoon hyung. They’re worried that..he might…”

Hana closed her eyes briefly and exhaled.

“I’ll get a hold of Rowoon. What’s going on now?” Hana said as she made a beeline for her office, she glanced back at her secretary.

“Tell them to continue without me and have the plans at my table by tomorrow. And have my car prepared.” She mouthed before getting in the elevator.

“I was informed that they’d discuss burial rites and ceremony tonight, but they’d like for hyung to be there too. He’s their only grandchild.”

Hana nodded and leaned back against the metal walls.

“I’ll look for him, don’t worry.”

 

 

 

Hana slammed on the Audi’s brakes, she put her car on park and slid down from the vehicle. She jogged towards the apartment complex and spotted a familiar BMW parked a few meters from her. She let out a relieved sigh and headed for the doors, she typed in a code and the elevator doors opened.

She arrived at the top floor and rushed down the well-lit hallway, Hana stopped in front of a set of double doors. She knocked twice before typing in the code on the wall, the doors unlocked, and she stepped inside.

“Rowoon-ah?” She called out as she set her coat and bag down, the girl padded towards the living room and found it empty. Hana ran her fingers through her hair as she went up to his room, she paused when she realized it was also empty.

“Rowoon-ah?” She called out again as she went down, and then she heard the sound of water rushing down from the kitchen. The girl quickly ran towards the kitchen and stopped. Water was running down the kitchen sink while Rowoon remained unmoving on the linoleum floor, his legs were spread before him as he stared off into space. Hana chewed on the insides of her cheeks before approaching the sink and turning it off.

She turned to Rowoon after and noticed how swollen his eyes were, her forehead furrowed.

“Rowoon-ah,” She said, the male looked down and shook his head. Hana sat down beside him, she noticed how Rowoon silently his tears roll down his cheeks.

“I’m sorry, I heard about halbae.” She said as she placed her hand over his, Rowoon didn’t react and she gave his hand a small squeeze. Hana wordlessly climbed onto his lap and wrapped her arms around him.

“I thought….I thought he’d still come..home,” Rowoon murmured as he pulled her to him, Hana frowned and nodded.

“He—He’s gone, Hana.” Rowoon stuttered as he buried his face on the crook of her neck, Hana slightly winced as his grip on her tightened.

Hana was out of words, and the only thing she could do was to hold him in her arms.

“Did they send you here?” Rowoon asked, still not letting go.

“They don’t know where we are, don’t worry.” She murmured back as she kissed the side of his head, Rowoon let out a shaky breath and loosened his hold on her.

Rowoon paused, noticing the girl was still dressed for work, he tugged on the hem of her skirt before speaking.

“Didn’t you have a meeting with~”

“It’s fine, Rowoon-ah. You need me here.” She tilted her head at him, Rowoon’s forehead creased and he let go of her.

“I’ll make us some tea, you can wash upstairs.” She said as she stood up and stretched her hand to him, Rowoon exhaled and let the girl pull him upwards.

Hana puffed her cheeks and looked at him again.

“You don’t have to say anything, Han. Having you here is enough.” Rowoon said before leaving the kitchen.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++