016

I Want To Look At You

 

 

Hana pushed the glass away from her and slid down from her seat, she glanced behind her and grimaced slightly.

Clubs really weren’t her thing; it didn’t even matter who was attendance. She simply didn’t enjoy being around so many people. She grabbed her purse and quietly made her way towards the exit, the girl easily snuck out.

Hana saw Rowoon’s car park a few meters from her and she exhaled.

“I can’t stand her.” She muttered as she jogged towards her vehicle, she tossed her purse inside and paused.

“Wait, why am I the one leaving?” She blurted out, she took a step back from her car.

“She should be the one being kicked out and~”

“May I disturb this conversation?”

Hana halted and turned; her eyes widened in surprise.

“I thought you couldn’t come.” She said, Jaehyun grinned as he walked towards her, he had changed into a black shirt and jeans, his leather jacket was carelessly draped over his shoulders.

“My friends are already inside, noona. But I saw you stalking off while muttering to yourself.”

“Oh, well, I couldn’t stand~”

“The lack of light and the amount of people inside?” Jaehyun was grinning at her, teasing. Hana rolled her eyes at him.

“It’s not exactly safe to stay out here, noona.” He looked around them, Hana shook her head.

“I wasn’t going to. I just needed some air. You should go inside.” Hana nodded towards the door, Jaehyun decided to lean against her car and buried his hands in his pockets.

“You look like something’s bothering you.”

Hana glanced at him and she looked at her shoes.

“Not really.”

“Is it a work thing?” He said lightly, Hana pursed her lips.

“I find myself in a bit of a bind. I want to hang out with my friends but, I~” Hana paused when she saw the club’s backdoors open, it was Jihye.

“But, what?” Jaehyun spoke, Jihye was staring right at the girl.

“Nothing. Maybe I’m just being weird.” She murmured as Rowoon’s girlfriend walked towards her, Jaehyun noticed the lady.

“Hana, hi. Can we talk?” Jihye asked softly, Jaehyun looked at his friend.

“I’ll go inside then, noona.” He stated, Hana nodded back at him before bumping fists with the male.

“Let’s hang out soon.” Hana said to him, Jaehyun winked at the girl before setting off. Jihye exhaled as she faced the Kang young lady.

“Hana, about earlier~”

“Are you going to tell me that I saw wrongly?”

“No, no, Han. I know I made a mistake, and I can assure that it was just a one-time thing. And that guy is my~”

“One-time thing? How many one-time things have you had?” Hana said softly, Jihye paused at her words.

“H—Han, what are you~”

“Don’t call me that. And, I’m not the one to judge you, Jihye. Why are you here?”

“I just…I really like Rowoon, Hana. And, I wish this wouldn’t have to reach his ears.” Jihye said to her, no, the girl was pleading.

Hana wanted to throw up.

“What makes you think I’d keep your secret?” Hana replied as she checked her nailbeds, Jihye looked away.

“Hana, please. Think about Rowoon, this would hurt not just me, but him too.”

“Your boyfriend’s friends aren’t your friends.” Hana simply stated before sidestepping her and made her way back to the building.

 

 

 

Chanyeol looked up as Chani joined them, and then he paused.

“I thought my sister was already here.” He said, Changmin looked up from his drink.

“Your sister…wasn’t in a good mood earlier.” Changmin said with a small grin, Saeyoon shook her head and took out her phone.

“Why? What happened?” Chani noticed that Rowoon was standing by the windows, the male had a frown on his face.

“We don’t know, but she was really harsh earlier. I thought his girlfriend would break down into tears.” Changmin glanced at their youngest cousin, Chanyeol sent the older male a look.

“They must have had an argument.” Chanyeol said in hushed tones, Changmin rolled his eyes.

“What an argument it must be, Hana walked out on us.” Changmin pointed out, Chani grimaced and then he heard the doors opened.

It was his sister.

“Hana,” Saeyoon looked so relieved as she saw the girl.

“You didn’t tell me you were at Jaerin’s for dinner.” She spoke, Hana nodded back at her.

“Yes, I was, unnie.” Hana nodded as she approached Chanyeol, Chani looked at his sibling.

“What’s this? The other day I ran into Jaehyun at your office, and now you’re attending family dinners.” Changmin said teasingly, Rowoon turned his head.

“It wasn’t exactly a family dinner, anyway, oppa,” She patted Chanyeol’s arm.

“I have to go; I got an appointment tomorrow and I have to be up early. Congratulations again!” Hana said as she opened her arms to him, Chanyeol chuckled and gave the girl a tight hug.

“I wish you could stay longer, Han.”

“Noona, are you~” Chani was about to stand, Hana shook her head at him.

“No, you enjoy your night. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said, she bid everyone goodbye before stepping out of the room.

All eyes went to Rowoon, the tall male exhaled, he walked towards the door and halted when it suddenly opened.

“Rowoon-ah,” Jihye spoke, Rowoon took a step back.

“Jihye, excuse me~”

“Are you looking for Hana? She just left.” Jihye held onto the doorknob, preventing him from opening it further.

“I know, but I have to~”

“I’m sure it can wait. You can call her tomorrow.” Jihye said with a smile as she took his hand in hers, Rowoon’s forehead creased as he spotted Hana walking across the dance floor and to the exit.

“Come on, I think we should be enjoying our night.”

 

 

 

The male winced as his boss tossed the cellphone on his desk harshly, he looked up.

“Sir,”

“I can’t reach her.” Rowoon stated as he paced back to his desk, he looked at his phone again.

“She must be in a meeting, sir.”

“She doesn’t take meetings on weekends, you know that.” He reasoned before sitting down. It was a clear Saturday morning; they were in the office to process a few documents before submitting it to GM Daewoo for further approval.

But the GM Motors boss was distracted, and it was clear why.

“She must be busy, sir. With the recent events, the vice chairman must have a lot on her plate.”

Rowoon leaned back on his seat and chewed on the insides of his cheeks.

“I..I need you to look into something.”

“Yes?”

Rowoon’s forehead creased and he met his secretary’s gaze.

“Hana told me a few things that..I needed to be checked, and I need you to be quiet about it.”

“Yes, of course, sir. Is this about her uncle and~”

“No. Jihye. I want you to look into Jihye.”

The male paused; his brows went up fractionally.

“O—of course, sir, I’ll~”

Rowoon’s phone started to ring, his eyes went to the screen and saw his girlfriend’s name flashing before him. His secretary watched as the GM Motors executive let the phone ring continuously, seemingly without plans to pick it up.

“Sir,”

“Make it quick.” Rowoon said, the male nodded and stood up from his seat, and then he stopped walking.

“But, vice president, have you ever tried calling her brother? I’m sure young master Kang is free today.”

Rowoon nodded back at him, the male then left the office.

“It’s always a problem if he can’t get in contact with her.” His secretary murmured to himself as he went back to his seat, and then he checked his computer.

“Good thing we were able to block out that video of him punching the daylights out of her step-cousin. That would have been a huge mess.”

And then the male halted.

“But why would he want me to check on miss Eom? That’s his girlfriend. He even ignored her call. Well,” He nodded to himself, enjoying his self-dialogue.

“The young miss Kang has always been a bit more..important to him.”

Rowoon picked up the wireless telephone and proceeded to dial the Kangs’ home number.

“Hello, this~”

“Chani,”

“Hyung, what’s up?”

“Is your sister home?” Rowoon asked, and then there was a long pause from the other end.

“Hyung, I thought you went with her. Don’t you usually go with her?”

“What do you mean?” Rowoon stood up from his seat.

“Noona flew to Jeju earlier this morning.”

 

 

 

Hana stepped down from the Audi sedan and looked at the massive three-story villa before her. Her grandmother’s rest house had always made her feel like a little child, she had so many memories growing up, especially when they would spend their summers here.

“Young miss,” Her grandmother’s assistant walked up to her, she smiled at the lady. Secretary Gu was led by one of the house staff to the back of the villa.

“How have you been, ahjumma? You look radiant.” Hana said as she greeted her with a hug.

“We’ve all been doing well, young miss. I was surprised when I heard you landed here earlier, I wished you could have called before coming. I would have prepared your favorite snacks.”

“It’s okay, ahjumma. I’ll be flying back tomorrow anyway.” Hana nodded as they walked towards the front doors.

“Is the young master not with you?” The lady asked.

“Chani has exams next week, he couldn’t come with me.”

“I know, he calls to check in from time to time. I meant young master Rowoon, he usually tags along when you fly here.”

Hana momentarily paused.

“Ah, Rowoon’s quite busy with work. I flew alone.”

“Well, that’s unfortunate.”

Hana nodded back and they soon stepped in the house, the lady beside her grew quiet.

“The chairman is waiting in the study, young miss.” She said softly, Hana grew confused at her tone of voice, but she nodded back. Hana took off her coat and put her purse down before heading towards the room.

“Halmae?” She spoke as she pushed the doors open, and then she paused. Her grandmother’s study no longer looked like a study. Her eyes scanned around the room, her office chair and long mahogany desk were replaced by a mechanical bed. The bookshelves had been moved to the back of the room. And there were a lot of rather strange looking items in the room as well.

“Hana, dear,”

She looked at the elder again, Hana couldn’t help but notice that it looked like she lost a lot of weight. In fact, her grandmother looked so small on her chair.

Hana padded towards her and then she leaned down to kiss her cheek.

“W—What happened here, halmae? Have you been sleeping in this room?” Hana swallowed when she noticed the needles attached to her grandmother’s hand, she felt a heavy drop in her stomach.

“Yes, Hana. It’s so good to see you, my baby.” Even her smile was weak as she reached out to cup her cheek, Hana nodded back, not wanting her grandmother to see the worry in her eyes.

“So, what’s new around Jeju, halmae?” Hana heard her voice crack slightly as she took a seat.

“I know why you’re here, Hana. And that’s why, I am also prepared.” The elder smiled warmly, and then Hana heard the double doors open behind them. Hana saw a familiar face, and she stood up to greet her grandmother’s lawyer.

“Lawyer Moon,” She said politely as she shook the man’s hand, and then another male walked in, he had a white lab coat on.

“Hana, I’d like you to meet doctor Ahn, your grandmother’s physician.”

Hana paused as she looked at the middle-aged man, and then she gave him a small bow.

“Nice to meet you, doctor.”

“I finally get to see you in person, vice chairman Kang. Your grandmother has told me so much about you, actually, she was bragging.” He said lightheartedly.

Hana could only nod back, realizing that there was a ventilator right by the windows behind the doctor.

“Hana, it’s good you’re here. Doctor Ahn has something to discuss with you.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++