024

I Want To Look At You

 

20XX

 

 

“You’re late, did you have a lot to finish at school?” Mrs. Kim asked as their only son joined them at the dining table, Rowoon nodded back.

“We have requirements needed to be passed tomorrow and we also have a group assignment due.” He replied as they started eating.

“Did your cousin call you?”

Rowoon grinned at his father.

“He did, he also sent me photos of Geon, abeoji. So, I guess auntie won’t have to kill him now?”

Mrs. Kim chuckled and shook her head, she put more beef on Rowoon’s plate before continuing.

“How’s Hana doing? Chani already transferred schools, right?”

“Yes, he did. And Hana’s alright, she still gets full marks.” Rowoon nodded back.

“I saw her last week, Hana’s gotten a lot prettier. She’s even begun joining her grandmother at work too.” Mrs. Kim mused, her husband eyed her warily, knowing what she was doing, but their didn’t react.

“The Kangs invited me to lunch this Saturday.” Rowoon stated as he got another spoonful of soup.

“You can go.”

“I know.” He chuckled, his father shook his head at him.

“Look at this, son, going to each other’s houses is so easy, right?” Mrs. Kim said with a small playful grin, Rowoon blinked at her.

“Well…we’ve been doing that for years now, eomma.” He replied, confused.

“So, wouldn’t it be easier if you just..you know,”

“Honey, please.” Mr. Kim grew amused as his son continued being confused.

“Yes?”

“Wouldn’t it be easier if you and Hana end up together? I mean, our families know each other. We love her, and her parents adore you too. And~”

“Eomma, please.” Rowoon grimaced and shook his head.

“Why not? It’s Hana, she’s perfect~”

“Hana’s my friend.”

“But, son, why not give it a try? I mean~”

“I don’t want to risk it. And, she’s like family to me already.” Rowoon shuddered and continued eating, his mother rolled his eyes at him.

 

 

 

Hana yawned as she stepped out of her room, she could hear her father and Chani downstairs. The girl hopped down the stairs and found the two Kang men in the kitchen.

“Noona, we’re making smores.” Chani said with a huge grin.

“Smells good.” She commented as she reached them, Mr. Kang mussed her hair and asked her to take a seat by the counter.

“You were studying the whole time?” He asked, Hana nodded back.

“I have a report to finish, appa. And, I had to call Rowoon for the group assignment we have.”

“Is he coming this Saturday?”

“Yes, he is.” Hana stretched her arms, she watched as Chani poked the roasted marshmallows with a toothpick.

“How about you give Minhee a call and ask them to join too.”

“Am I supposed to laugh now?” Hana replied, her father sent her a look and she rolled her eyes.

“We’re not even close, appa. Why invite them?”

“You never gave her a chance, Mingyu too.”

“Minhee is literally the biggest bully at school, you have no idea.” She pointed out, her father waved her off.

“Anyway, I know we’re all having lunch at home this Satruday, but can I go to Myeongdong in the morning?”

“Why?”

“I need to buy some things, and Rowoon will be joining me too.” She added, knowing that her father would never let her walk around alone, unless she had someone with her. Usually, he said yes if she mentions Rowoon.

“Sounds good, do you want some?” He asked as he pointed towards the smores, Chani was already happily munching on some.

“I’m just going to get myself some water. Is eomma asleep already?” She asked as she refilled her tumbler with cold water.

“Yes, we have an early flight tomorrow to Japan.” He said, Hana started to grin and wriggled her brows at Chani.

“We have the house to ourselves till Friday.” She said to him, Chani grinned back at her.

“Pizza party, noona!” He cheered, Mr. Kang shook his head at the two.

“Just don’t get into any trouble you two. Your mother will kill me.”

 

 

 

Rowoon’s face crumpled as the sun’s rays touched his face, he was about to move when felt a pressing weight across his chest. He slowly opened his eyes and noticed the tufts of black hair touching his chin, he tried to move and realized that he had his arm around someone.

And the person started to move, he broke into a smile as the sleeping Hana inched closer to him.

“Are you up?” He asked, he saw her nose scrunch slightly and she pressed her face against his chest, wanting to sleep more.

“Han, we’re going to be late.” He said with a chuckle, she eventually let go of him and turned to the other side. Rowoon slid down from the bed, he took a quick shower and went to the kitchen.

He proceeded to making coffee for them, then he heard someone enter the kitchen.

“Can I have a cup too?” Hana asked groggily, she was dressed in a lavender slip dress and a pair of white socks.

“So, you have decided to be late today?” He asked playfully as she walked to him, she yawned and leaned against the counter.

“I think I have.” She replied, Rowoon laughed and walked towards her, planted both his palms on the counter behind her, effectively trapping the girl in his arms.

“You’re all dressed up, good for you.” She hummed before standing on her toes just to kiss his cheek, Rowoon chuckled and leaned down to press his lips against hers.

“Good morning, Mrs. Kim.” He said as he gently bit her lower lip before letting go.

“How do you manage to be so awake in the morning? You’re weird.” She murmured as she proceeded to fix his tie for him. Rowoon’s lips started to quirk up and she eyed him warily.

“Stay put.” She warned him as she felt his hands on her waist, Rowoon pursed his lips and waited for her to finish straightening his tie.

“Do you still have the Hanjin Oil meeting today? Can we grab lunch together?” Hana asked as she padded towards the fridge.

“I can move up the meeting, what do you want to eat later?”

“We’re planning what to eat for lunch while having breakfast. I married the right man.” She mused as she took out the orange juice.

Rowoon laughed and poured coffee for the two of them, Hana sat down on one of the stools and took small sips.

“Good for you, Kang Hana.” Rowoon mused, he kissed the girl’s cheek before taking the seat across her.

“Rowoon! Wake up!”

“Ah!” Rowoon gasped as he suddenly sat up, Mrs. Kim balked from the doorway, surprised with her son’s reaction.

“Eo—Eomma!” Rowoon’s eyes darted around his surroundings, his mother looked at him oddly.

“We’ve been calling your name for minutes now. You’re going to be late!” She nagged at him, Rowoon was about to speak but the lady shut the door behind her.

He pushed the blankets off him and let out a big sigh. He ran his fingers through his hair and checked the time on his phone.

“I should start sleeping on time.” He mumbled to himself as he stood up from the bed.

“Yes, I should start sleeping early.” Rowoon repeated as he walked towards the door and went down to eat.

 

 

 

Hana was tapping her left foot on the damp grass as she waited for her friend, Rowoon was uncharacteristically not on time today. A familiar Mercedes Benz pulled over and she exhaled. Rowoon slid down from the back seat and he paused briefly when he saw her.

“Hey! Let’s go!” Hana waved him over, the male jogged up to her.

“Why are you late? This is so unlike you.” Hana said as they went up the school’s steps together, by habit, she hooked arms with him.

Rowoon paused, his eyebrows went up. His dream begun playing in his head and he grimaced to himself.

“I..I woke up late, sorry.”

“Why? Are you feeling under the weather? Did you catch a cold again?” Hana said, she stopped walking and reached out to press the back of her palm against his neck. Rowoon dodged her hand so quick that it made the girl pause.

“Are…you okay?” She was blinking at him, Rowoon chewed on the insides of his cheeks and he slowly pulled his arm away from her.

“I—I am alright, I probably had way too much coffee. Is your bag heavy?” He asked as he took her backpack and swung it over his shoulder.

“Two cups in the morning in an empty stomach sounds like something you would do. Will you be able to present our report?” Hana asked as they reached the doors, Rowoon nodded and held onto the door for her.

“Let’s get you a sandwich before class, we still have fifteen minutes.” Hana held onto his hand and pulled the male towards the direction of the cafeteria, Rowoon tensed and looked at their hands together.

That strange dream is going to drive me nuts.

“Rowoon, please don’t let me pull your weight too.” She sighed as they continued walking, Rowoon grew amused.

“Han, let go. I’m not going anywhere. I know you’re hungry too.”

Hana let go of his hand and glared at him, he chuckled and gestured for her to walk ahead.

“Should I get you a salmon sandwich?” She asked with a grin, Rowoon sent her a dry look.

“Hey, if I ask you to marry me, you’ll say no, right?” He asked as they got inside the cafeteria, Hana didn’t even glance, but she shook her head.

“Who would want to marry you?”

“So, not you?”

“Rowoon, I don’t want to have your ridiculously long children. So, no.”

“Even if we don’t have to have kids?”

“I swear to god.” Hana sighed as she turned to him and tried to grab him by the neck, and by try, she was already standing on her toes and still couldn’t reach her goal.

Rowoon was laughing as he ran towards the counter with his wallet.

“Ham and egg!” She hollered before taking a seat, Rowoon faced the lady and ordered two ham and egg sandwiches.

He glanced back at his friend and watched as she took out her phone and started browsing the on the Internet.

Rowoon smiled to himself and looked away.

I can’t marry her. She’s too good for me.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++