Farewell Fishy

Sang Sang & Jake Jake

 

As Jacob is washing an apple at the kitchen sink, he notices that the pet fish is not moving. He realizes that it is dead, he takes the bowl and shows Sangyeon.

"Sangyeon, I think that Finneus is dead." 

"Oh, it is okay sweetie. Come here." Sangyeon replies, hugging Jacob.

"I'm alright. I'm more concerned about how the maknaes will react. They love this fish so much."

"I know, I remember when they picked him out at the pet store." Sangyeon adds. 

[Flashback]

After Sangyeon informed everyone that they were allowed to get a pet....fish, the only ones who were actually excited were the maknaes. Everyone else wanted a dog, so they let the maknaes pick something since they didn't really care. Sangyeon walked with the four of them to their local pet store. 

"You can pick out any any tiny fish that your heart desires." Sangyeon told them, as they entered the store. 

They ran over to the fish area, and were greeted by the usual goldfish. 

"All of these look the same."

Then, Eric saw the one.

"Look at this one." 

Eric pointed at a multicolored fish. 

"Whoa, what is that?" Hwall asked. 

"That's a goldfish." The store owner answered. 

"But it isn't orange." Sunwoo pointed out. 

"Goldfish can be a variety of colors. Some are black, bronze, white, red, or calico. This little guy is a calico goldfish." 

The four of them were fascinated by this fish, this is the one that they want, the one they need. All of them turned to their leader with puppy dog faces and started begging him to get the fish. 

"Okay guys, no need to bring out the big guns, I will buy you this fish. How much is this one, sir?"

"He is twenty dollars."

Sangyeon paid for the fish and the man put it in a container. 

On the way home, Eric suddenly shouted out that he had the perfect name for the fish.

"What is it?"

"His name should be Finneus." 

"That's actually really good." Haknyeon admitted. 

"That is a cute name for a fish, Eric." Sangyeon told Eric, ruffling his hair. 

From then on, the maknaes would hang out with Finneus whenever they had time. He is a fish, however, so he can't do much. This meant that they usually just watched him swim in his bowl and would watch television with him. 

[End of flashback]

"How are we going to tell the maknaes about this?" 

"Let's just keep it a secret and not tell them. We can look for a replacement." Jacob responds, not wanting to break their hearts.

"But we can't lie to them. Plus, these fish are hard to find."

To solve this problem, they ask the others what they should do. 

"What's going on?" Hyunjae asks, as they all sit in the living room.

"Finneus died." Sangyeon explains.  

"Oh no, the maknaes will be devastated."

"About what?" Haknyeon says, entering the living room. 

He notices the lifeless Finneus on the table, and starts crying. Jacob goes over and hugs him. 

"He is gone. Isn't he, hyung?" 

"I'm afraid so." 

Everyone now knows that the others have to know, they will get suspicious if they see Haknyeon so down and he will most likely tell them about it. 

When they return from school later and everyone is gathered in the living room, the truth is revealed to them. 

"What's wrong with Haknyeon hyung?" Hwall asks, referring to the boy who is quietly sobbing on the couch. 

"It's about Finneus. I'm sorry to tell you guys this, but he passed away. While you guys were at school, we found him motionless in his bowl. He's gone." Sangyeon explains. 

Eric is the first to cry, and Juyeon is there to comfort him. Hwall is the next one to break down, he has Hyunjae there for him. Sunwoo does not really react at first, he just seems frozen like he is letting the news set in or he is just in complete disbelief. Eventually, he can't hide his pain anymore and he cries with Haknyeon. All of their hyungs are there to make sure they are alright as they process Finneus's death. 

That evening, they have a funeral for him in the bathroom. Haknyeon is the first one to say something about Finneus at the funeral.

"Finneus has been with us since Flower Snack days. He was there when we finally debuted, when we had birthdays, we I graduated high school, he was there for all the happy moments in our lives. I'm going to miss him. I hope that he is happy in that big fish bowl in the sky." 

The bowl is passed to Hwall and it is now his turn to say a few words. 

"Finneus, I always had fun watching you swim in your fish bowl. It was so cute how you would swim around the bowl and watch television with us. Sometimes it even seemed like you were really watching it. I'm gonna miss that, and I'm going to miss you." Hwall says, before handing the bowl to Sunwoo and then hanging onto Hyunjae. 

"I know that I don't always express my emotions that well and I don't know why I do that, but for some reason it was always easy to express them to you. Thank you for listening all those times when I really wanted to get some things off my chest. I promise that I will try to talk more to the hyungs about my problems now and I will try to express my emotions better, for you as a way of thanking you."

Sunwoo hugs the bowl before handing it to Eric. 

"I remember when I saw you at the pet shop, you were a jem. I'm so glad that we met and that we got to create so many memories. I never had a pet before we got you, so I am glad that a fish as amazing as you got to be my first pet. I know that you will be happy in fishy heaven and that you are watching over us. Goodbye, Finneus."

Eric hands the bowl to Sangyeon before he starts to cry into Juyeon's shirt. Then Sangyeon places the fish in the toilet and flushes him, the maknaes favorite fish is now gone. 

Over the next couple of days, the hyungs help the four of them deal with the loss of their pet fish. After some time, they accept it and start moving on, knowing that Finneus lived a full and happy life with them.