The Battle of '98

Sang Sang & Jake Jake

 

Vocal practice is usually a peaceful time for the boys, but one day it ends in a pretty serious fight. 

The members all come together after taking a break to work on their next song. 

"Kevin, you should go higher on that part." New tells him. 

"I think it is good the way it is." 

"But it would be better if you went higher." New replies. 

"I think know what I am doing, Chanhee."

"Okay, if you want to sing it wrong then go ahead."

"I'm doing it right. What do you know anyway? I'm a better vocal than you." Kevin snaps. 

"What?! You wish. I can sing way better than you and you know it."

"Okay guys, let's calm down." Sangyeon interrupts.

"No. Chanhee is trying to tell me that he sings better."

"Because I do."

"No, you sing like a chipmunk." Kevin says, before leaving the room. 

"At least I can sing!" New responds, also leaving the room. 

The other ten members stay in the room, staring at each other. 

"Whoa, what was that?"

"They will be fine, they just need time to calm down." Sangyeon says. 

They sure are taking a while to calm down. At dinner that evening, Kevin and New do not interact with each other, except for glaring. 

"Hyung, can you pass the salt?" Eric asks.

Kevin and New both reach for the salt.

"He obviously wants me to hand him the salt." Kevin says.

"No he does not. I am his favorite."

"No you are not. I am, and he wants the salt from me."

"I am his favorite. We share a room together and I start his bubble bathes for him. So give me the salt."

"No, you give me the salt."

They fight over it until it eventually falls and breaks. 

"I've lost my appetite." New says, before going to his room. 

"So have I." Kevin announces. 

The two of them slam the doors to their rooms. 

"This doesn't seem good. Honey, I think we should do something about this." Jacob says to Sangyeon. 

"They will be okay, they just need a little more time. For now, let's clean up this salt." 

"And do not put it in your soup." Sangyeon says to Eric, reading his mind. 

When twenty-four hours pass, they find themselves doing vocal practice again. They all hope this has been enough time for Kevin and New to calm down or at least forget about it. 

"Look what the cat dragged in." Kevin says, as New enters the room.

"I wish I had a cat to put in your face, since you're allergic." 

"How dare you! You know what Choi Chanhee, fight me like a man! Let's have a high note battle right here right now." 

"Like you could beat me, Kevin Moon."

"Of course I can, I'm a main vocal too." 

"But I am the main vocal. So bring it on, second best." 

Kevin starts the battle off. Even though it is a battle, it is not violent so nobody does anything to stop it. They just watch it happen and hope it will end peacefully. It's just a high note battle. What could go wrong? New hits a very high note and everyone is sure that he has won, but Kevin tries to go higher. Unfortunately, it results in his voice cracking and then the sound stops. 

"Oh my gosh. Kevin, did you lose your voice?" Jacob asks.  

"Yes." He replies, so hoarse they can barely hear it. 

"Well, I guess you will have to sit out vocal practice for a while so that you can heal properly. That also means no straining to talk." Sangyeon tells him. 

Vocal practice is a little empty without their other main vocal. It is obvious that they are missing something whenever the chorus comes around and they all try to blend together. It doesn't sound awful, it just doesn't sound the same. As Kevin sits and watches the others sing, he knows that he has to get back at New. So he comes up with a plan for revenge. 

That afternoon, Kevin sneaks into New's room and steals his favorite Patrick toy. He gets a pair of scissors and cuts off his arms, legs, and the top of his head. Then he leaves it in New's room for him to discover. 

"Oh my god! Patrick!" New shrieks, when he sees the toy. 

New goes to confront Kevin in the living room. 

"I know what you did." New says to Kevin.

Kevin gives New a confused look and then smiles. 

"I'm not dumb, I know you cut up my toy."

They then get into an argument, which is New yelling at Kevin and Hyunjae speaking for Kevin. 

During all of this arguing, Jacob and Sangyeon are in their room having a mini picnic. 

"These sandwiches are so small." Sangyeon states, as he picks up a triangle shaped sandwich with ham and cheese in it.

"I can't put a whole bunch of filings in them, dinner is going to be soon. I don't want you to spoil your appetite." Jacob explains. 

"That is true, it is fun either way since you make nice sandwiches."

"Thank you, and this is even better because it is so peaceful in the house right now. The maknaes had their after school milk and cookies so they are finally asleep, it is nice and quiet." Jacob adds, feeding Sangyeon a grape. 

"How dare you disrespect Patrick?!" News yells.

"Kevin says it is because you obviously started it." Hyunjae answers for Kevin. 

"It was fun while it lasted." Sangyeon sighs. 

"Let's go see what that is about." 

Jacob and Sangyeon go out to the living room to see the arguing continuing. 

"Hey fellas, can we keep it down? The maknaes are trying to nap." Sangyeon interrupts. 

"Kevin destroyed my stuffed toy, he is pure evil!" New yells. 

"Hyung!" Hwall calls out, now awake.

"Dang it." Jacob says, going to check on Hwall.

"That's it guys. I thought you two could be mature and work this out, but it looks like we have to step in. We will all settle this tomorrow. Now, go to your rooms and don't bother each other."

Kevin and New stomp off to their rooms. Once Jacob gets Hwall back to sleep, he and Sangyeon talk to Kevin and New. 

"Chanhee, you really need to apologize to Kevin." Sangyeon says. 

"I will never say sorry to that devil. He ruined Patrick." 

"Chanhee, it is just a toy."

"So you are on his side?"

"I'm not on any side. I just think that this whole dispute is out of hand." Sangyeon explains.

"I just want to take a nap." New says, getting under his covers. 

Sangyeon sighs and leaves the room. Meanwhile, Kevin and Jacob talk about the same thing. 

"Kevin, you really need to settle this with Chanhee." 

Kevin writes down his response. 

"No! He does not deserve my apology or anything else. This is all his fault!"

"Kevin, don't play the blame game. You guys are taking a small argument too far."

Kevin writes again.

"He is the one being a drama queen. Tell him that he can duck off. I will never forgive him." 

Now it is Jacob's turn to sigh and leave the room.

"Well, looks like Chanhee is too stubborn to apologize."

"So is Kevin, we'll have to do this the hard way."

The hard way involves locking New and Kevin in a room the next day so they can talk it out. 

"Here Kevin, write down what you want to say." Jacob says, sliding a notepad under the door. 

"Well, see you guys later." Sangyeon says, walking away from the door with his boyfriend.

"Hyungs, this isn't funny. Come back here and unlock this door." New responds.

There is no response. Kevin and New sit on opposite sides of the room. New soon gets bored of staring at the wall and goes over to Kevin to see what he is up to. He discovers that he is drawing something, of course. 

"What's that?"

"It is a calico cat." Kevin writes.

"It's cute." New comments. 

"Thank you." Kevin writes.

New suddenly remembers what he said to Kevin about cats earlier and it makes him feel guilty. 

"I'm sorry about saying that I wanted to put a cat near you. I didn't mean it, I would never want to harm you." 

"I know. I'm sorry for ruining your Patrick." Kevin writes in response.

"It's okay, I can always get a new one, but most importantly.... I'm sorry for making you lose your voice." New tells Kevin. 

"It will come back. We should have never had this silly fight. Want to be friends again?"

New answers with a hug. 

"Best friends."

A few seconds later, Jacob and Sangyeon come in.

"Finally! You two made up!"

"Were you guys outside the door this whole time?"

"No. See that cat plush over there?"

They nod.

"It has a camera in it." Sangyeon elaborates. 

"We watched the whole thing from the room next door."

Everyone is glad that New and Kevin have finally made up and things are back to normal. Kevin buys New a replacement Patrick and Kevin's voice thankfully does come back.