I'll Be There

Sang Sang & Jake Jake

 

If the boys were to say that getting stuck in an elevator was the scariest thing to ever happen to them, they would have spoken too soon. Something even worse happens one Saturday night. 

"I'm glad that was the last day of such a busy week."

"Yeah, finally."

"Well, you guys all worked hard, so now we can go relax." Sangyeon says. 

They continue walking down the hall to their dorm until they reach the door. Sangyeon gets out the key and begins to open the front door. 

"I've been waiting for you guys." A man wearing a ski mask says, once the door is finally opened. 

He then pulls out a knife. 

"Boys, run! Now!" Sangyeon yells. 

They all run from the man. 

"Get back here!" 

The man chases them and ends up stabbing Sangyeon with the knife. 

"Sangyeon!" Jacob screams. 

Jacob immediately holds onto Sangyeon and helps him run down the stairs. When they make it outside, they meet the rest of the boys and Jacob tells them to call emergency services. 

"Are you boys alright?" Sangyeon asks. 

"We are, you're the one we should be worrying about. You have a knife in your arm."

"Pull it out."

"No, leave it in. Blood might come gushing out and then he'll bleed to death." Jacob says. 

"I wanna lay down." Sangyeon breathes. 

Sangyeon lays down on his back, while Jacob his hair to calm him down. 

"Jacob."

"Yes sweetheart?"

"If I don't make it, tell the boys that they mean the world to me, and so do you. I love you, Jacob." 

"I love you too, but you will make it. You're going to be okay, the ambulance will be here soon and they will help." Jacob reassures his boyfriend. 

The ambulance comes to get Sangyeon minutes later and the boys have their manager drive them to the hospital. 

They sit in the waiting room together. Eric is sitting in Juyeon's lap and crying, Haknyeon is doing the same with Hyunjae. Jacob just sits there silently, but he starts thinking about what will happen to Sangyeon, so he goes outside before he starts to tear up. Once outside, he sits on a bench and finally allows himself to cry. 

A few minutes later, Jacob calms down wipes his tears away. He takes a deep breath as he closes his eyes.

"He will be okay. I know he will." He tells himself. 

Kevin comes out to see Jacob soon after. 

"Jacob?"

"Yeah?"

"You okay? Or do you want to be alone?"

"No, I'm okay. In fact, I was just about to go back inside." Jacob responds, before he walks back in with Kevin. 

Jacob sees that Haknyeon and Eric are still crying, so he goes over to them. 

"Boys, it's alright." Jacob says, their hair to calm them down. 

"Just take deep breaths and relax, Sangyeon will be okay." 

"Really?" They ask, looking at Jacob with tears streaming down their faces. 

Seeing them cry so much breaks Jacob's heart even more, but he has to be strong for them to help them feel better.

"Yes, I know he will be okay, The doctors are taking good care of him." 

Moments later, the doctor does show up. He tells them they'll have to do surgery to sew up Sangyeon's arm. Since it is getting late, their manager suggests they go home and rest. He even stays with them the entire night because most of them are scared, and they all end up sleeping in the living room in a circle together. 

The next morning, the hospital calls and tells them that Sangyeon's surgery went well and that they can visit him at noon. 

At noon, they all go to see Sangyeon. 

"Sangyeon?" Jacob says, as he opens the door.

"Jacob! Hi sweetheart."

The rest of the boys follow him in. 

"There are my boys." Sangyeon smiles. 

Jacob is the first to hug him, being careful to avoid his wrapped up arm. 

They all sit and talk until ten minutes before visiting hours are over. 

"Come on guys, let's leave Sangyeon and Jacob alone for the last few minutes." Younghoon says.

The rest of them agree and follow Younghoon out. 

"So, how are things going at home?" Sangyeon asks. 

"Oh you know, same old same old." Jacob smiles. 

That smile turns into a frown and then tears in less than a minute.

"Jacob, what's wrong?"

"I.... I.... I was so scared something would happen to you last night. I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking something would go wrong and that I would never see you again. I don't know what I would do if that happened. I love you so much, I want to be with you forever. I want us to be together, I want us to get married one day, I want us to buy a house together, and adopt some dogs." Jacob admits. 

"Jacob, come here." Sangyeon says, with open arms. 

Jacob accepts the hug and begins to calm down as Sangyeon holds him tightly and assures him that everything will be okay. 

"I'm right here and I'm okay. The doctors said that I can go home in a couple days. You don't need to worry, I will always be with you. I love you, Jacob."

"I love you too, Sangyeon." 

"And I can't wait for you to come back home." Jacob adds, as Sangyeon wipes his tears away for him. 

"I can't wait either. I know you will keep things in order while I'm gone though, you will do a great job." 

"Ummm, sure. I guess?" Jacob responds, not too sure of himself. 

"Come on, Jake Jake. I know you can do this." Sangyeon says, before he starts to repeatedly kiss Jacob's face. 

"Yeonie, stop it." Jacob giggles, turning away.

"Stop what?"

"Sangyeon, that tickles." Jacob continues to giggle. 

"I love that giggle and I love that smile." Sangyeon says, giving Jacob one last kiss. 

"I hope that smile will be the first thing I see when it is time for me to go home."

"Of course it will be. As soon as you can go home, I will take you there. I will also try my best to watch over everyone, but I can never do it was well as you can."

"Oh nonsense, I know you can do even better than me. I believe in you." Sangyeon encourages. 

"I will try as hard as I can." 

The next day, while Jacob is walking Eric to school, he asks Jacob something. 

"Hyung?"

"Yes, munchkin?"

"Can you take me to see Sangyeon hyung after school?" 

"Sure, I'll take you." 

"Thank you, hyung." Eric replies, as they arrive at the school. 

"Have fun at school."

"I will." Eric responds, hugging Jacob before going inside. 

Later that day, the two of them go to the hospital. 

"Hi guys." Sangyeon greets them. 

Eric goes over and hugs Sangyeon.

"Hello, kiddo." Sangyeon says, hugging him back.

"So, how was school?" Sangyeon asks. 

"Great! I got an A on my history test."

"That a boy. Did I miss anything at home?"

"Not really, just the usual mess. The maknaes tracked mud in yesterday and their hair was caked in mud too. I had to comb and scrub it out."

"But you said we could go outside."

"I didn't know you meant mud wrestling." Jacob says, ruffling Eric's hair. 

"Ummm, Jakey, can you go get some gelatin from the cafeteria?" Sangyeon questions. 

"Sure, what flavor?"

"Anything but orange." 

"Okay, be right back." 

When Jacob is far enough away, Sangyeon talks to Eric. 

"Eric?"

"Yes?"

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"While I'm gone, can you help Jacob out? I know you guys can be a handful and Jacob thinks he is not good at watching you guys. Can you do your best to behave and help Jacob out with the chores? Just try to watch over him while I'm gone."Sangyeon explains. 

"Like a guardian?"

"Yeah, like that."

"Okay, you can count on me." 

"I know I can." Sangyeon smiles. 

Jacob comes back with the gelatin later and they talk for a while before going back home. 

Eric keeps his promise and his first mission starts tomorrow.

The maknaes go with Jacob to the store. 

"Cookies!" Haknyeon screams as they enter the store. 

"No Haknyeon, groceries first. The first thing on the list is fruit." 

The boys follow Jacob through the store, joking around. 

"Stop pinching me." Sunwoo tells Haknyeon. 

"I didn't do anything."

"Yes you did."

"Boys, stop it." Jacob tells them. 

"Fine." The two of them say. 

"Okay, now it is time to get the cookies. You guys can pick out any two boxes that you want." 

They run down the aisle excitedly and argue over what to get.

"Chocolate chip!"

"Oreos!"

"Sugar cookies!"

As this is going on, Eric looks over at Jacob and sees him look off into space and sigh. He seems upset, he probably doesn't have the energy to deal with this. Eric looks away before Jacob catches him and then remembers what Sangyeon told him at the hospital. 

"Guys, stop. I need to tell you something." 

"What?"

"Sangyeon told me that we should behave and watch over Jacob while he is in the hospital. We have to be his guardians so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed." Eric explains. 

"Well, we do lub Jacob hyung and want him to be happy." Sunwoo says. 

"Okay, we'll join you." They all agree. 

"Boys, did you pick something yet?" Jacob calls out.

"Almost."

"Okay let's play rock-paper-scissors."

Haknyeon and Eric win, so they sugar cookies and chocolate chip. 

"We're done, hyung." 

"Good, let's go to the check out now." Jacob replies. 

The maknaes actually help Jacob put the items on the belt and into the cart when they are bagged. Jacob is shocked at how helpful they are being. 

"Who wants to ride in the cart while I put it back inside?"

The maknaes all choose to act mature and say no, and take the cart inside for Jacob instead. 

For the rest of the day, and the following day, all of the boys are helpful. They do their chores, help cook, and they even avoid getting into any arguments. 

Jacob is so thankful that the boys have not given him too much trouble, and they even take care of Jacob by making him breakfast and making sure he sleeps well. 

When it is time for Sangyeon to leave the hospital, the members set up a party while Jacob goes to pick him up. He knocks on the door and Sangyeon tells him to enter. 

"Hey sweetheart."

"Hi Yeonie. Are you ready to go?"

"More than ready. Are you ready to have me back home?" 

"Of course. I've wanted you home since day one." Jacob says, hugging his boyfriend. 

"I missed you too, Jakey." Sangyeon replies, kissing Jacob's forehead. 

"Come on, let's go home."

The two of them check out and their manager drives them home. 

"Surprise!" The boys greet them. 

"Aww, thank you. This is so sweet of you guys." Sangyeon responds. 

"And we made you really nice dinner." 

They eat the dinner that was prepared and have a homemade cake for dessert. 

That night, Sangyeon and Jacob cuddle closely in bed, glad to be back together again. 

"I'm so happy my Sang Sang is back."

"Me too. You know, this whole thing has got me thinking. You never know what could happen in life. One moment everything could be okay, but then it could all be over. Life is short and you need to live it to the fullest." Sangyeon says. 

"That's true."

"You think so too? Then I guess my next idea won't be so hard for you to accept either."

"What is it?" Jacob asks.

"Let's get married." Sangyeon answers.

"What?!" Jacob replies, eyes wide from shock.