Chapter 28 - Father-in-law

I Need You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Appa!" Jisoo threw her head back and laughed upon seeing the photos her father had brought her to see. "How old was I in this picture?"

Kim Nam Jil smiled endearingly at the photos in Jisoo's hand. "If I remembered correctly, you were about three years old."

"Jinjja?" Jisoo snorted, shaking her head amusingly. For the past five days, her father had taken the effort to come home early from work so that they could spend some quality time as an attempt to understand each other better. Jisoo was more than willing to coorperate by heading home staright after school as well. She needed this. She needed to know that man she calls "Appa."

And it would be a lie to say that what Taehyung had told her didn't affect her enthusiasm either. If what Taehyung said was true, what better way to confirm it then to see it for herself? But so far, her father hadn't mentioned anything about work or even about partnering her with Suho anymore. Considering that was pretty much everything they used to talk about, Jisoo found it odd. But in a good way--because it meant her father had really changed.

But it also meant Taehyung was wrong.

The smile on Jisoo's face faded as the thought hit her. She hadn't spoken to him since their conversation by her front gate. She thought it was better to keep some distance from him in order to get a clear head while she tries to understand her father better and perhaps find out the root of Taehyung's accusations.

But that doesn't make it any easier for her. She had spent sleepless nights, resisting the urge to pick up the phone and call him. She misses him so much that it hurts. Not to mention that he could have called her first but he didn't. 

Is Taehyung even still her boyfriend?

Does she even deserve to talk to him after she told him to leave? Does she deserve Taehyung anymore?

"No, I don't." Jisoo muttered unconsciously.

"Did you say something?" Her father asked.

"An-aniyo." Jisoo shook her head, giving her father another smile. "Appa, let's watch a movie together."

"Gurae." He said but the look on her father's face tells her that he wasn't convinced with her smile. "Jisoo-ah, you've been distracted the past few days. Your body is here but your mind is somewhere else. Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine, Appa. Really."

"I've noticed that you haven't ..." Her father avoided his eyes from Jisoo's as he busied himself by keeping all the photos back in a box he kept in his closet all this time. "You haven't talked about that Taehyung boy. Did you two fought?"

"No." Jisoo lied, standing up from her spot on the sofa and head to the shelf where the DVDs were stacked.

"Well, thats....good."

"Why'd you ask?" She tried to play if off as an innocent question, hoping it will give her some insights. 

"Just becuase." The older man shrugged. "Did he mentioned anything to you about me?"

Jisoo knew there was something her father wasn't telling her. Often time it seems like he was about to say something but changed his mind at the last second. She didn't want to outright ask him either because if Taehyung was wrong, it would hurt her father's feelings if she accused him of something he didn't do especially since their father-daughter relationship was still in the beginning stage. She had accused him of causing her mother to leave in the past and now, she can't bear to accuse him of something she wasn't sure of again. She needed him to let it all out on his own. 

"Is there something Taehyung should tell me about?" Jisoo raised an eyebrow.

"Aniyo." He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "So...ummm...found anything good to watch?" 

Jisoo internally sighed. Looks like her father wasn't ready yet. "There's a few that I want to watch but I--" The sound of her phone ringing cut her off. Jisoo picked up her phone from the coffee table and her heart instantly did a somersault seeing Taehyung's name on her screen. Pressing the green button, Jisoo aswered the call.

"Taehyung-ah?" She breathed out, happy that she had an excused to hear his voice again.

"Jisoo-ah." Taehyung's voice sounded so defeated, it brought tears to Jisoo's eyes. "I need you."

Need her? Jisoo's brain went to overdrive thinking about what was happening to Taehyung that he could sound that way. Regardless of what it was, she wanted to run to him right that instant. 

But what about her father? It was yet another difficult decision she had to make.

Glancing back, her father was positioning himself comfortably on the sofa, preparing for their movie that she herself suggested. When he noticed her staring at him, he smiled.

Jisoo closed her eyes and listened to Taehyung's ragged breathing coming from the other line.

Should she stay or should she leave?

"I'm coming." She found herself saying without any regrets. 

Taehyung needs her right now. It doesn't matter if they got into an argument. She will always be there when he calls.

"Where are you now?" Jisoo asked when Taehyung was no doubt too surprised to respond right away.

"I'm at the hospital." Taehyung answered.

"What?!" Jisoo blurte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter