Painting Her Soul

The Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prompt: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. 




I stare at the painting in front of me, deeply, all the emotion that pouring out from that very thing. Everyone keeps talking how beautiful it is, and how talented the painter is. I keep hearing their praise of how they can feel the happiness from the each of the painting in display. 

To be honest, it wasn’t my intention to come to the opening ceremony at the beginning because I rather sit in the dorm and do nothing at all. I can spend all my time doing nothing at all. However, knowing that Hoseok wouldn’t let me be and going to keep babbling about the painter, I was forced to come with him. 

My actual planning was come for a few minutes and leave, just short and simple as that. I’m not going to greet the painter and not going to talk to the other guest. However, the moment I step into the gallery and took a look at the painting, I immediately get caught. I’m sure that everyone see the colourful, cheerful and brightness of the colour of the painting, including Hoseok, but how come I only saw the loneliness, admiration and sorrow in the painting? 

“Wasn’t it beautiful? Just look at all the beautiful colours that blend together. I never thought that these kinds of colours can come out this beautiful.” He says and brought me back to reality. I didn’t even realise that he was beside me. 

“Huh?” the only thing that I can say. I didn’t know what to say because I still feel like I was floating in the air. All of the emotions from the painting still overwhelm me. 

“Hyung, let’s meet her.” He says, looking at me with excitement written on his face. I know that Hoseok knew her, even before she opens the gallery because he keeps talking about her in the dorm. 

Believe me when I say that the way they meet were cliché because it is, but nothing can change fate no matter how cliché it is. I still remember the incident he told me just like it had happen yesterday, when in fact it was months away. 

Hoseok went to a music store because he just feels like it. He didn’t know why but something keeps telling him to get to the store. Thus, he went inside the store and roaming around the store. At the end, he says that he buy some album that he been planning for so long but then forgotten to buy them, and exit the store with excitement. As he walks out, he keeps his eyes on the merchandise he brought in the plastic bag, instead of the road him walking on. 

Accidentally and with the addition of cliché, I think you know what happen, isn’t it? Yeah, he bumped onto someone. He says that ‘ouch’ is the first thing he heard before a groan from the victim, and followed with a turn and pain on his body. He wanted to say his sorry but the words got caught in his throat as his eyes found a sketch book, lay opened on the pathway with a beautiful painting decorating the page. 

Unconsciously, he picked up the drawing and stare onto it for a few minutes, which feel like second at the moment. He says that he never says a painting so beautiful before, and that’s how they were met. Since that moment, Hoseok will get every opportunity to see her other creation. 

Honestly, at that moment he told me that story, I didn’t believe how much talented she is, but after seeing it for myself, I can’t deny that I’m too got caught in the world she display. One thing that is different is that the way we see the painting. He says the happiness while I saw the opposite. It feels like she been trying to get the emotion that she never feel or she been trying to cover up her true emotion. 

Despite all of her effort, I still can see the emotion, which I believe is the true. I keep following him and I can recognize her from a distance. It wasn’t that we have met before but somehow, I’m able to describe her. People say that eyes are the gate to soul, and that is true. Why? Because I can see something different behind the mask she portrays on her face tonight. 

I can see how fake her smile is and how the sorrow linger in her eyes. She looks like the art itself. People may see her being so proud for the opening but I knew that she didn’t want any of it. I knew that she didn’t even intend to open the gallery. She keeps smiling and deep inside of me, I feel a bit pity toward her. 

“Hello Jihyo-shi. Congratulations.” Hoseok greet her as soon as she notices us. 

“Hello Hoseok-shi and thank you. Do you like the painting?” she says with a smile and keep listening to all of his praise. I keep looking at her and wondering how her true self would look like as I didn’t know her true story. She stills a mystery to me. 

“Oh, forgive me. Let me introduce to you. Thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter