Us vs Them

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohyun sat, half listening to CEO Man who was talking about a drama he wanted her to do. When he paused, she finally looked up and said, matter of factly, “I thought we’ve agreed no drama or movie this year. I have so many CFs lined up this year, I don’t need to do a drama”

 

“Have you not heard a word I said?” CEO Man interjected. “Just do one, this one. The director really wanted you. He offered earlier and you rejected without even looking at it. He came back and said he still could not find someone else that fits the role. The story was written with you in mind. At least read it and if you still don’t want to do it, then I let him know.”

 

“What’s the point of reading it if I don’t want to do it? I really wanted the time to learn driving.”  She sighed heavily. “Fine, I’ll read it. I’m not promising I’ll do it. And if I do this, any other drama or movie this year, should be rejected immediately, otherwise, I’ll change agency CEO Man. Because you don’t listen to anything I say at all!” she mouthed off as her frustration was rising. She stood up and about to leave, when she turned and looked at CEO Man and her mom who had sat quietly through the exchange, “By the way, I’m sure you are aware that Seung Ho-oppa is back in Korea. We are dating, for your info.” She paused to look at CEO Man who started to look furious whereas her mom remained calm. “We are not planning to go secretive like before. We won’t flaunt it, but if someone saw us, or asked about us, we are not going to deny it. So, maybe you need to think about that.” She turned to go.

 

“Sohyun!” CEO Man barked. “Haven’t you learned your lesson? Do you want your career to be affected again?”

 

Sohyun smile as she stared at CEO Man, “I’ve learnt a lot in the past 3 years. One important lesson is, I will never give up on my love again. And if my career that you, mom and even Seung Ho-oppa insisted I should have, would come between us again, I’ll give it up. Thanks to you CEO Man, I’ve made enough to support myself and my family for the rest of our lives. I don’t mind forgoing it if it comes between us again.”

 

CEO Man was shocked to see Sohyun standing up against him. Where did she find the guts to speak callously to him? “Yes, you did well. What about Seung Ho? He gave up 3 years of his career for you, are you going to let him give it up for the rest of his life?”

 

“Seung Ho-oppa doesn’t need this career. He has always prioritised his life above his career. That’s why he easily gave up his career 3 years ago.” She paused. “He has never been an extravagant person, so he had invested his earnings all these years. He is now, not only a shareholder of his agency but also a shareholder of the producing company that did the travelogue, among his other investments. So, he does not need this career to support his family, nor does he need me to support him. Just in case you are wondering,” Sohyun calmly responded. They had discussed the possible impact on their career, so she was prepared.

 

Mrs Kim stood up and interrupted the heated conversation, “Enough!” Turning to Sohyun, she softened her voice, “Sohyun, aren’t you going out with your friends? Sujin should be arriving anytime to pick you up. Why don’t you go and enjoy yourself?” Sohyun smile gratefully at her mom and left.

 

When the door closed, Mrs Kim sat down and sighed. “CEO Man, I understand your concern. But Sohyun had done what we’ve asked of her. I cannot continue to take away her happiness, she deserves it. So, could you prepare for when the public knows about her relationship and handle it the best that you can.”

 

“She is not at the top yet. She has the potential to be a Hollywood star; don’t you want that? And she is still so young, she can have a love life later on,” CEO Man stubbornly pushed on.

 

Mrs Kim stood up, and regarded CEO Man. “You are a businessman, but I am her mother. Her happiness is also important to me. She has sacrificed, let her have her happiness now. The public were unhappy with the agency when they broke up because everyone knew we forced their breakup.. The two of them had gained a lot of sympathy. Don’t you think that sympathy will lend support if they do have a relationship now? Lets be more open to the idea.” And she left the room.

 

Seung Ho was busy for several days with the CF for the sports car he got. After reading through the terms, it was apparently a one long advertisement, which depicted him in three different scenarios within a day; going to his office to work in the morning, golfing in the afternoon and out partying at night. The CF can be shown as separate scenario or together. Seung Ho loved car and this CF was perfect for him. However, it took him away from Sohyun when they just reunited and they only managed to communicate via text and phonecalls. He couldn’t wait to see her again.

 

The girls were enjoying their dinner when Jieun asked Sohyun, “So, you mentioned that you met Seung Ho-oppa at the dinner event. Did he call you after that?” Sohyun paused for a moment, and cautiously said, “Didn’t I mention that he called the same night and we talk for almost 3 hours?” and then she grinned when the grils shouted. “3 hours!!” Minjun and Jieun exclaimed. “No, you didn’t tell us that. What happened since that day?” She looked at them, her face was full of happiness, and she tried to contain the excitement in her voice, “We’ve been texting daily and chatting almost every day. Oh, we went to watch Song Joong Ki’s movie last Friday night,” The girls were speechless.

 

Minjun leaned back and folded her hands as she stared at Sohyun. “What happen to the girl who said that she won’t run to him when he is back? That, if he wants you, he needed to explain himself before you’ll forgive him and take him back. So, did he give any explanation before you succumb?” Sohyun looked at her friends who have been with her through the good and the difficult times she had in her relationship with Seung Ho-oppa. “I know I said all that, because at that time, I wasn’t certain he would want us to be back together.” Jieun chuckled, “I am certain that he would. He was terribly in love with you. You should have made him beg!!” Minjun nodded her head. “We told you he would. And yes, I second Jieun in making him beg, and grovel and crawl.”

 

Sohyun laughed. Her friends always had her back and she loved them to bits. She was embarrassed when she admitted that she started to waver when he called out her name softly at the dinner. Hearing his voice after dreaming of it for so long, reminded her of their beautiful relationship. But she had remained steadfast and was cool towards him. But the text and then the chats they’ve had since, thawed any ice that had remained.

 

Sohyun tried to explain, “His hand was warm, very warm!” Minjun scoffed. “Woman, you are such a wuss! You were gone when he stood in front of you, right? You had no chance.” Blushing, she tried to explain her feelings, “I tried. I really did. But I’ve missed him so much, so when he held me and apologized, I caved in.” Jieun and Minjun just shook their heads and together, they called her a wuss. Sohyun laughed.

 

Sohyun was still laughing as she looked at her friends’ reaction when she turned in surprise when she felt Sujin’s hand on hers. Sujin had been quiet throughout the revelations. Sujin gazed at her kindly, and with a warm smile, she asked, “Are you sure this is what you want? Do you want to get back into a relationship which may face the same problem as before?”

 

Sohyun nodded. “I love him. I have never stopped loving him. And I know, he loves me too.” Sujin nodded in agreement. “We’ve both suffered being apart, I think we’ve suffered enough. I want to be happy with him again.” She said softly.

 

“What about problems that would crop up if the relationship is discovered again? You know reporters are going to be on the lookout for the two of you now he is back.”

 

“We are not going to hide our relationship. We will keep it low but if it is discovered, we are going to admit it. I just told CEO Man that earlier before you picked me up. He wasn’t happy but its his turn to be unhappy,” Sohyun grinned. Sujin hugged her. “I am glad you get what you want. I really want you to be happy.”

 

That night, she told Seung Ho that she told CEO Man about them. “You did well, Sohyun-ah. I’m so happy. When can I see you, how about dinner on Friday?” Seung Ho asked. “I can do dinner on Friday,” Sohyun agreed. “Do you want to have dinner at my place?” Seung Ho asked. Sohyun held her breath as she thought about the suggestion. Finally, she replied softly, “Lets go out for dinner.” Seung Ho understood her and agreed, albeit disappointed.

 

“Oh Sohyun-ah, Omma asked after you. She wants to know when will you be visiting again?” Sohyun gasped. She had felt guilty towards Seung Ho’s family because he left them because of her. “You told Omma that we are back together?” Sohyun asked, surprised. “Of course. She’s the first to know that you’ve accepted me back. She missed you.” Seung Ho explained. Sohyun was silent. Seung Ho was worried, “Hey, is everything ok? You didn’t want Omma to know?” Sohyun replied, “I missed Omma too. But I don’t know how to face Omma, because you were hurt because of me.” “hey, hey, we were both hurt. You didn’t cause it. Omma knows that. My family knows that. Hence, they are so happy that we are back together,” Seung Ho reassured her.

 

On Friday, Seung Ho picked Sohyun up for dinner. They were going to a restaurant housed in an old Korean house. The restaurant was very exclusive and dining is in private rooms served by a personal host that promised privacy. The food, was artfully prepared and served and it was delicious. There was live traditional music playing somewhere around the house, the music was low enough to be heard without affec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter