Our Day is coming

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seung Ho woke up and sleepily reached out across the bed. Its cold. He glanced and could not find Sohyun. He got up to look for her and found a note at the kitchen counter with his breakfast. “Oppa, I have a schedule today. I’m going home first. I talk to you later. Love you.”  He called her. “Yoboseyo. Why didn’t you wake me up? I could have sent you back.” Sohyun who was chatting with her mom, smiled. “It’s alright. You must be tired. I’m chatting with Omma now. I talk to you later, ok?” Sohyun had woken up in the middle of the night, and was too excited that she could not sleep. Hence, she left early in the morning to go home to talk to her mom.

 

Her mom confirmed that Seung Ho did come over a week ago to seek permission. She had given him her blessings. “Omma, Oppa said its up to me when I want to have the wedding. I have a date that I am keen on, because its significant to both of us. But its in less than 3 months. Do you think it would be possible?”  Mrs Kim smiled at the happiness on her daughter’s face. “That’s a bit tight, but still possible. What about his filming? He has a movie after the drama, right?”

 

“I think his filming for the drama would end sometime in early July. And the movie is filming later part of the year. So, the timing is perfect,” Sohyun thought of it. “Then it is possible. We get a wedding planner, because there is no way you can handle it with your own schedule. I’ll find a good one for you, unless you have someone in mind,” Mrs Kim offered. “Thanks Omma, please find one for me. But don’t get someone who like lavish wedding, that’s not our style,” Sohyun reminded her mom. “Are you sure? Seung Ho has time and again, surprised us,” Mrs Kim smirked.

 

“Omma, I also want to have the wedding at this place, its not a wedding venue. Could the planner find out the suitability?” Sohyun asked. Her mom nodded. “Its this beautiful greenhouse, just outside Seoul. I want to have the ceremony there.” Her mom raised her eyebrows. “Oppa made his official confession there on that date,” Sohyun blushed, as she remembered it was also the place where they had their first kiss. “Where are you going to have the reception then?” Mrs Kim asked. “Is there a hotel nearby?” Sohyun shrugged her shoulder as she did not know. It was dark when she was there. “It would be nice if there is a field nearby that we can hold our reception,” Sohyun suggested. Mrs Kim nodded but asked that she run the idea by Seung Ho first.

 

That evening after her schedule, she called Seung Ho. “Oppa, what time will you finish? I want to discuss something with you.” “Filming ending late. You want to come over and have dinner with me at the site? We can chat over dinner while I’m waiting for my turn,” Seung Ho suggested. Sohyun came over with bento set for Seung Ho and a few extras for others.

 

As she arrived, several people congratulated her on her engagement. She smiled shyly. Throughout the day, she had been receiving congratulatory calls and messages. She chatted with her friends who were excited about it and envious of the proposal she had received. And the news had taken the internet by storm. There were many articles and many photos from the two dramas they had done and their shippers were ecstatic that their ship had finally sailed.

 

They sat at a corner where they had some privacy. As they ate, she asked if he read any news about them. “No, I didn’t have time. But the number of people congratulating me, the calls and messages and teasing me was enough. I hope there wasn’t any negative thing?” Seung Ho asked. “No, it was all good. A lot of people seem to support and happy for us,” Sohyun said giddily.

 

“Oppa, can you tell me when do you want us to get married?” she asked. “I let you decide. Just don’t make me wait until you are 30, ok?” he responded. Sohyun grinned. “This year?” she asked nervously. Seung Ho put down his chopsticks and took her hands. “I’ll marry you today, if that is possible. You know my movie would start filming at the end of the year? Do you have any preferred dates that you are thinking?” He gazed at her intently. Sohyun smile shyly at him, “I thought it would be significant if we could have it on 27th July. I know it’s a bit of a..” before she could finish her sentence, Seung Ho kissed her.

 

When he pulled away, his eyes were sparkling and he said enthusiastically “Yes, that would be perfect. Could we arrange everything by then?” “Omma think its possible, but we should get a wedding planner to help us.” Sohyun explained, her face crimsoned from the public kiss and Seung Ho nodded, oblivious to her embarrassment. “Omma is finding a planner that could help us. But Oppa, if that is the case, we need to have the family meeting soon so we can discuss everything.” “I’ll get a night off one of these days, I let you know," Seung Ho said. "Sohyun-ah, I’m paying for the wedding, I don’t want our parents to pay for it. You let me know how big a wedding its going to be, its your call,” Seung Ho informed. “I agree our parents don’t have to pay for the wedding, but Oppa, I want to share the cost with you. I insist,” Sohyun firmly said. Seung Ho shook his head. Sohyun persisted but Seung Ho refused to budge.  Sohyun sighed and told him that she didn’t want a huge wedding.

 

“Where do you want to live after we get married?” Seung Ho asked. “Your place, no? Why?” Sohyun asked, surprised. She had assumed she just move in with him. “I thought its customary that I buy you a house?” he explained. “Its customary for the cost to be shared too, but that you have conveniently forgotten.” Sohyun was quick to retort. “Anyway, if it just two of us, staying at your apartment is fine. We get a house when we have kids.” Seung Ho cupped her face and lowered himself to her so that they are at the same eye level, “Don’t be upset. We just started discussing about our wedding. I don’t want us to fight, ok?” She nodded, pouting.

 

That night, Seung Ho texted to confirm he will have a free day on Friday. Sohyun called him. “Oppa, Omma said Friday is fine. Halmeoni would be coming and my brother too. Halmeoni suggested having the dinner at your place, you can order or cook something simple.” Seung Ho was silent for a moment, “Dinner at my place? Why? And what can we serve?” “I think its because I said I am moving into your place, so Halmeoni wants to see it. Omma said, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, you can serve any simple food. The meal not that important,” she explained. “What do you mean by I can serve the food? You will have to cook the meal together with me, araso?” Seung Ho chided her. “But its your house?” Sohyun whined. “Its for our family. Are you going to disappoint your future-in-laws?” Seung Ho reproached. She giggled. “Why are you giggling?” “I’m not used to the idea of in laws” Sohyun laughed softly. Seung Ho smiled, amused.

 

That Friday, the two of them went marketing early in the morning.  They were going to make spicy kimchi stew, anchovy broth with mandu, beef bulgogi and japchae. The rest of the side dishes would be brought by the both parents. When they got back, they started cleaning the ingredients and do the necessary prep work. They didn’t have to clean the house since Seung Ho had arranged for the housekeeper to come the previous day to clean it up. They made fried rice for their lunch.

 

During lunch, they spoke about how the news of the engagement was all over the media. Apparently, it wasn’t a surprise; many reporters, fans in Korea and even international were expecting it. What took them by surprise was the public declaration of his love for her, the public engagement and the timing. That was so unexpected that it was analysed in many articles, news and variety shows. There was always something about them in the news every day. Someone even thought she was expecting. Even the most forthcoming actors had not had such open announcement. Sohyun and Seung Ho had written messages for their official fan clubs, sharing with them several private photos of the engagement and seeking their continued support and love. These were well received and acknowledged. There have been requests for interviews and photoshoots, but both Sohyun and Seung Ho had to decline because their schedules were tight.

 

Sohyun smiled and giggled as she ate her ice cream. Seung Ho stopped eating and asked, “Why are you smiling?” Sohyun shook her head but couldn’t stop grinning. “Sohyun-ah, com’on share the joke.” “Sometimes, I can’t believe we are getting married. Its surreal,” she laughed softly.

 

He carried her from her seat and placed her onto his lap, and stared intently at her. “I thought I had told you my intent to marry you years ago. Why is it so difficult to believe now that we are getting married?” He dropped a kiss on her nose. Sohyun touched his face lightly, “I know. Maybe because I didn’t think of it.”  They gazed and smiled at each other lovingly. “Why not? I’ve thought a lot about it,” he whispered as he started to nibble on her lips. Pulling back, Sohyun smiled into his eyes, “Because, since you’ve came back and we got back together, I am already happy with how things are between us. We also never talk about it.”

 

Seung Ho pulled her closer and kissed her deeply. “Maybe its our . When we first started dating, I worry when would be the appropriate time to hold your hand, to kiss you. I don’t want to push you away from being too aggressive or forward. Even this marriage, I have thought and questioned when would be the appropriate time. I would have married you the moment we got back together, if I didn’t think the idea would probably scare you away. I want you in my life, for the rest of my life since the very beginning,” he said softly and solemnly. Sohyun was touched. She angled herself and kissed him, opening to deepen the kiss immediately. They kissed passionately as they clung to each other. When they finally broke apart, Sohyun gazed lovingly at him, her breathing still heavy, she said “I love you.”

 

Seung Ho’s parents and his sister and her husband were the first to arrive. After the greetings, Sohyun took the banchan and brought it to the kitchen. Seung Ho showed his family around the house, and finally they reached the kitchen where they found Sohyun making citron tea. Omma stood next to Sohyun, “Are you sure this house is good enough for you?” she asked gently. Sohyun nodded and smiled shyly. Omma gave her a hug.

 

They sat down to drink tea when Sohyun’s family ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter