Why we had to part

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seung Ho’s sister stared helplessly at her brother who either cried or stared into space. He refused to eat and would only drink water or milk. Her parents were very worried. The day when their break up was made known publicly, he arrived home sobbing his heart out and repeatedly whispered that it hurt so bad.  He finally calmed down when Omma and Appa brought him to his bed and he fell asleep. After that day, he was silent and not eating, and finally Omma had called her to help her brother. She tried calling Sohyun but her number had been discontinued.

 

The news of the breakup gripped Korean entertainment industry. No one believed that the two of them broke up willingly. Some fans posted photos of them at Lotte World just a couple of days before the announcement.  Everyone knew that the two lovers were forced to split. There were a lot of sympathy among the industry insiders and fans.

 

“Seung Ho, you need to get a grip of yourself. You need to eat,” Seung Ho’s sister spoke to him gently. He closed his eyes. “Seung Ho, stop this nonsense!” she spoke more firmly. “I can’t let you wallow in self pity while scaring Omma and Appa. Do you want them to get sick with worry over you?” Seung Ho opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. After several minutes, he turned to his sister and nodded, “Ok, I’ll get up.” He slowly sat up, his face pale and his eyes held such profound sadness that ached his sister’s heart so she pulled him into a hug, “I’m sorry Seung Ho. I know you both love each other. I’m truly sorry.” He slowly hugged his sister back. “Noona, I hurt her badly. I never wanted to hurt her. I don’t mean to,” Seung Ho whispered. “I know Seung Ho. And I am sure Sohyun knows it too,” she pacified him.

 

From that day, Seung Ho pulled himself together and started to live his life normally, as normal as it was possible. He didnt realise that many people cared about him and Sohyun, as he read their comforting and encouraging messages. After a few more days at his parents’ home, he went back to Seoul as he had schedules. He kept a blank face when there were glances and whispers of his break up. But no one asked him directly. When he was free, his friends came over to keep him company. Hyungjun stayed over a couple of times, to listen to Seung Ho and became his emotional support. Only then, could Seung Ho unburden the weight of his guilt. Seung Ho also went to Hyungjun’s farm to help out as it helps to clear his mind. Throughout this period, he paid close attention to the development of Sohyun’s career. Part of his heart wanted the plan to fail, especially during those times when the sense of loss overwhelmed him.

 

The day after their break up was announced, Sohyun wrote directly to her fans. In her sad and sorrowful letter, she apologized about the recent happenings, she mentioned that she didn’t regret the relationship with Seung Ho but she acknowledged her responsibility. She was reflecting and wished her fans would continue to support her when she was ready to face them. The letter brought about a huge support from her fandom, many of whom had no problem with her being in a relationship with Yoo Seung Ho and who continued to believe in her.

 

A week later, she started to attend some events, initially small events such as opening of shows and exhibitions, and then move on to movie premieres. At these events, she would have short interviews with selected reporters that focus on her future plans, with no mention of her broken relationship. The plans were working with her reputation improving and supports for her continued to increase. A few brands came back with their CF offers and the cameo roles for dramas that was put on the back burner were back on track.

 

Sohyun was a great actress, no doubt. As she played her role at these public events, her behavior made an abrupt change the moment she was away from it. She became quiet and sullen, with no interest to talk to anyone else. She focused on her studies when she was not working. Her friends were worried about her and tried their best to help her but to no avail.

 

A few weeks after that sad day, CEO Man called Sohyun and her mom to the office for a meeting. The meeting discussed on the positive reactions and that Sohyun’s reputation was almost back on track. Most of the brands were apologetic for bowing out previously and now wanted her back. Sohyun asked if she could forgo these unloyal brands but CEO Man told her that she should be humbled and accept their apology and offers.

 

“Sohyun, I know you are doing well. Your efforts are bearing fruits. But I felt like something is still not right. Something seems to be missing, something that could push you to the next level. I will source a drama for you, a lead role that can be filmed when your finals are over. Maybe that’s what you need,” CEO Man spoke. Both Mrs Kim and Sohyun nodded. Sohyun left the office, smiling while greeting the staff at the agency. The smile disappeared the moment she was in the car. “Sohyun, is it so difficult to smile for me, for your family and friends? Do you hate me?” Mrs Kim asked as she drove them home. “I don’t hate you mom. Not you or anyone else. I just have nothing to smile about. Or do you want me to smile at you as an actress?” She said emotionlessly. “Don’t be sassy with me, young lady!” Mrs Kim was exasperated.

 

“Thank you PD-nim. I will look at the script and get back to you. The synopsis you’ve just described sounds interesting,” Seung Ho shook hands with PD-nim and left the office with Manager Lee. “Were you sincere in considering the offer,” Manager Lee asked. “Of course, hyung. What make you say that?” Seung Ho replied. They got into the car and as he drove away, Manager Lee continued, “Because you have rejected a couple of dramas before this. I thought you mentioned you are not ready to do a drama.” “This is a short three episodes drama, a special that focus on the underprivileged of the society. That’s doable,” Seung Ho explained softly. Manager Lee glanced at Seung Ho, his face emotionless, and he missed the happy guy. Since the break up, Seung Ho had behaved normally but Manager Lee who had been with him for more than a decade, could see his struggles. It was heartbreaking to see the sad and wistful eyes, full of sorrow whenever he caught Seung Ho unguarded. “Seung Ho, Sohyun’s career seems to be back on track. You did well by her, you know that, right?” Manager Lee informed him gently. Seung Ho nodded, as he lowered his gaze to his hand. “I hope her career will soar from now on,” he said softly as he touched the trinity ring on his chest.

 

PD-nim invited Seung Ho to an anniversary dinner event at his company after they had signed the contract for the special drama. Its not a big group, the main staff and some celebrities that have done projects with them or would be doing one soon. Seung Ho tried to decline but was persuaded. “Ok, I’ll come but I hope you don’t mind if I leave early. I’m not good at such social events,” Seung Ho explained. PD-nim nodded his understanding.

 

The dinner party was at the function room on the rooftop of the company’s building. It was a dinner party serving hors d’oevres only, so everyone was standing around, mingling. Seung Ho arrived in a black suit and was feeling a little bit uncomfortable as he wasn’t friendly with most people there. PD-nim came to find him and introduced him to a few people and they chatted as the food was going around the room.

 

As Seung Ho listened to the chats in the small group, his eyes occasionally roamed the room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter