Meet the Parents

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohyun and her mom, together with her manager were going to KBS building for a meeting with the PD for the role she has signed on for. In the car, she received a text from Seung Ho.

 

            To Sohyunnie

Sweetheart, I’ve just touched down at the airport but have to go straight into a meeting. Let’s meet tonight. I message you after my meeting. I miss you.

 

They detoured to her agency office to pick up some documents before arriving at KBS. As they were early, they mingled in the lounge near the meeting rooms and chatted with some of the staff from KBS that they knew. “Ohh! It’s Yoo Seung Ho!” someone shouted. Sohyun turned to see Seung Ho-oppa talking with a KBS staff as he walked in with his manager. Seung Ho looked up to greet the excited staffs on the floor when he caught sight of Sohyun and her mother in the middle of the lounge. He turned to the KBS staff and his manager, “I should greet them first before we go into the meeting” and then approached Sohyun.

 

“Annyeong Sohyunnie,” he bowed and turned towards her mother, “Annyeong, Mrs. Kim. Yoo Seung Ho imnida.” And he bowed even lower. Sohyun’s mum acknowledged his presence graciously.

 

Turning back to Sohyun, “It’s nice to see you today. Are you here for a meeting?” Seung Ho asked politely. Sohyun replied that she was going into a meeting for a role she had signed on for. He wished her luck and excused himself as he also had to attend a meeting. One of the KBS staff interrupted and asked to take photographs with them. They agreed and stood on the opposite of the staff. A few other staff also took photos with them.

 

Seung Ho was about to leave again when Sohyun’s mom stopped him, “Would you be able to join us for dinner after your meeting? If you have no plans, that is.” Seung Ho was surprised at the invite but he agreed to have dinner with them. Mrs Kim told him that Manager Jung will message his manager with the details.  Seung Ho nodded again and said good bye. Sohyun tried to probe her mum on why she asked Seung Ho-oppa to dinner, but her mom shushed her. She quickly texted Seung Ho.

 

            To Seung Ho-oppa

            I’m sorry. I don’t know why my mum ask you to dinner.

 

Seung Ho saw the message just before his meeting started. He quickly replied “Its ok. Not to worry.” After his meeting ended, Seung Ho was told that the dinner will be at the KBS private dining hall. Arriving at the dining hall, Seung Ho saw that Sohyun and her mum were already seated, with her manager at a table nearby. There was no one else in the room. Seung Ho walked to the table, greeted them and apologize for his late arrival. He then took the seat opposite Mrs. Kim.

 

The food was served the moment he sat down. “I hope you don’t mind that I’ve ordered the food. I trust the dishes are ok with you. If not, we can order other dishes too,” Mrs. Kim clarified. “Not to worry Mrs. Kim, the food looks delicious. I’ll enjoy it,” Seung Ho politely replied. Mrs. Kim invited Seung Ho to start eating.

 

While they were eating, Mrs. Kim spoke calmly, “Sohyun told me before that you would like to meet me, to introduce yourself formally as the guy who is dating her.” Seung Ho stopped eating, and put down his chopstick. He looked up directly and with a small smile, he nodded. “I didn’t think it was necessary then. I shall be honest with you. I would rather that Sohyun does not date yet. She is studying and her career is at a turning point. If words got out that she is dating, it may impact her career negatively. I hope you understand my concern,” Mrs. Kim continued. Seung Ho acknowledged her with a quick nod. “Nevertheless, it seems that when it comes to you, Sohyun wouldn’t listen to me. She even travelled overseas just for you despite my misgivings.” She paused and Seung Ho waited patiently to hear her out. “But I must give credit where its due, the two of you have managed to do it privately without being caught by the media. Therefore, I would like you to continue to take special care to keep it away from public eye.”

 

Relieved, Seung Ho smiled at Sohyun’s mom, “Mrs. Kim, Sohyun is very precious to me. I would not want anything to harm her, not herself, nor her career. I promise to protect her and be responsible for it. We have agreed to keeping it private, so only a few trusted people know about us, and we will continue to take precaution. I hope you will bless our relationship.”

 

Mrs. Kim acquiesced and asked him to continue eating. They had small chats throughout dinner, with Sohyun frequently glancing at her mom and Seung Ho. She was glad to see that her mom, though not overtly friendly, seemed to accept Seung Ho-oppa.

 

Later that night, at the lookout point, Sohyun snuggled up close to Seung Ho and told him that her mom indicated her approval of him. “She still wasn’t very happy about me having a boyfriend, but I think she is glad it is you rather than someone else less reliable.”

 

Seung Ho was pleased to hear that. Kissing her head, he asked if she would be willing to meet his family. “My mum knew about you since my last birthday, well she knew I liked someone since then. And she did want to invite you for dinner. But I wasn’t too sure if you would be willing. But I would like you to meet my family, sometime when you are ready.”

 

Sohyun kept quiet. It would be a big step to meet his parents and she was nervous. “What if your mom doesn’t like me, Oppa?” Holding her face in his hands, he planted feather light kisses all over her face. “My mom would adore you. She may even want to keep you for herself,” Seung Ho assured her. “That’s what you think. What if, for whatever reason, she hates me?” Sohyun persisted. Seung Ho reassured her “I know my mum, I don’t see how it is possible for her not to love you. But if that ever happens, and that is a big if, you don’t have to see her again until I slowly charm her into loving you. I’m her only son, she wants whatever that makes me happy.”

 

The following Sunday, Sohyun was a nervous wreck as she was going to visit Seung Ho’s family. Surprisingly, her mom did not stop her and instead, accompanied her to shop for appropriate gifts. They got a whiskey for his dad, a cashmere glove for his mom with a matching scarf and a silk shawl for his sister. Before she left the house, her mom also gave her a box of Korean pears. Sohyun hugged her mom, thanking her for her support. Her mom returned the hug and asked her to be careful and be on her best behavior. As they need to travel during the day, Sujin picked Sohyun from her house and Seung Ho will pick Sohyun from Sujin’s house, which has a private garage.

 

On the drive to his parents’ home, Sohyun kept rubbing her hands together, looking extremely nervous. “My parents’ wont bite,” Seung Ho assured her. “Even if they do, I’ll protect you.” And he winked at her. Seung Ho was very sur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter