In Sickness and In Health

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six weeks seemed to pass by so slowly. Sohyun visited Seung Ho’s cats on a daily basis to play with them, even on days she had schedules. She would also lay in his bed, breathing in his scent. She was glad for days when she had schedules as the work kept her mind away from him. She went out with her friends, and started her driving lessons. But every other day, she gladly waited for his calls. They chatted about their days and often on how much they’ve missed each other. However, the clock seemed to tick by so slowly and Sohyun missed him a lot. Thus, when he called her one day to tell her that he was coming home, 2 weeks ahead of schedule, she was over the moon.

 

“Sweetheart, my flight is delayed.” Seung Ho called her from the airport. “I’m not sure what time I’ll be arriving, but likely in the early morning. You don’t have to stay at my place alone. I see you in the morning then,” Seung Ho explained. “Araso!” Sohyun replied reluctantly. She had been in his house since morning, cleaning his bedroom and toilet since the housekeeper was not allowed into his room. She had brought side dishes and Manager Lee had stock up his fridge and food cupboard. Even after knowing that his flight was badly delayed, Sohyun decided to wait for him. She made herself cup noodle for dinner and watched a drama before going to bed.

 

Seung Ho was glad to be home. His cats greeted him when he walked in but the rest of the house was silent and dark. Although he did ask her to go home, he could not help but be disappointed that Sohyun didn’t stay. He played with the cats for a few minutes before going into the bedroom. His face broke into a big grin when he saw his princess sleeping on his bed. He dropped his bag at the door and approached her quietly. He sat down and tenderly kissed the sleeping face. “Oppa,” Sohyun exclaimed as she opened up her eyes. She was delighted to see him. She kissed him hard, wanting him to know he was missed. When they broke the kiss, she cheekily told him to quickly wash up and joined her in bed.

 

The next morning Sohyun woke up, coccooned within his arms. It felt so good that she felt like purring like the cats. She turned around so that she could face him, still keeping herself locked within his arms. She looked at his face, wanting to lose herself in his handsome face when she noticed fading scars. She stared closer in the dimly lit room and saw that his skin was pale, his face thin with hollowed cheeks and sunken eyes. She had missed all that in her excitement when he got back earlier. She blinked. Her heart ache looking at him and wondered the hardships he must have experienced. She burrowed herself in his arms as she tried to control her sobs. “What happened to him?”

 

Sohyun slowly removed herself from Seung Ho’s hold and went to wash up. She prepared breakfast for them but when she peeped into the bedroom, he was still sound asleep. She ate her breakfast alone and then sat quietly in the living room, petting the cats. She wondered about his travels and it scared her to see him this way. She looked at her watch and its almost noon, so she removed the breakfast items from the counter and started to prepare lunch.

 

She was playing with the cats when Seung Ho sat down besides her. He hugged her from the back and nuzzled in her neck. “Hmm..” he murmurred contentedly. Sohyun grimaced because now, she could feel the sharpness of his bones and how skinny his arms were. “Are you hungry?” she asked softly. “Yes, for you,” Seung Ho turned her around to kiss. Sohyun let him kissed her, before pulling back. “Let us have lunch. I’m hungry,” she stood up and pulled him along.

 

As they ate lunch, Sohyun asked about his travels. He spoke a little bit about it and then instead asked about her life while he was away. She guessed he was still too tired to talk so she chatted about the schedules she had, about the girls and her brother. A lot of it were repeats of what she had told him over their phone conversations. She made these small chats while Seung Ho listened quietly. After lunch, she asked him to sit at the sofa while she cleaned up.

 

She brought tea and cakes for him. Seung Ho played with the cats and she regaled him with stories of their antics. He smiled listening to her. After a while, he seemed listless so he lay down on the sofa with his head on her lap. Sohyun his hair but she avoided looking directly at him because she doesn’t want him to see the worry in her eyes. “Hey, what’s wrong. Aren’t you happy to see me?” Seung Ho asked. “Of course, I am happy to see you. I’ve missed you so badly,” she replied with a small laugh. “Then looked at me, tell me what’s wrong,” Seung Ho said quietly. Sohyun looked down at him, schooling her face to be calm and free of worry. “Yes, handsome!” she gave him a brilliant smile. He returned the smile and closed his eyes. Before long, he dozed off. Sohyun gently woke him up and asked him to sleep on the bed.

 

Sohyun called her mom. “Omma, I think I’ll stay here for a few days,” she spoke softly, “could you pack some of my clothes and send it over?” “Ok. Is everything alright,” Mrs Kim asked. “Yes.” She held back a sob, “No. Omma, Oppa looks so tired and ill.” She cried softly. “He came back around 3 in the morning and he slept till almost 2. We had lunch and now he is asleep again. His face is thin, his cheeks hollowed and he is so skinny. I want to stay and take care of him.” Mrs Kim was shocked. “Did he say anything?” Sohyun whispered, “I dare not ask him. I don’t want him to feel bad, but I want to be here for him.” “Ok, I’ll get your brother to send you clothes. Cook him some porridge for dinner. If he is unwell, he should take easily digestible food. Omma will boil some herbal oxtail soup for him so that he can recover his energy. I’ll send that over tomorrow morning. Has he called his mom?” she asked. Sohyun wasn’t sure so she decided to make the call.

 

Sohyun spoke to his mom to inform her that he was back. Omma was surprised that Seung Ho did not call her personally but Sohyun explained that he was asleep. “He couldn’t spare a minute to call his mom at all?” Her mom sounded so disappointed that Sohyun had to explain about him looking tired and had been sleeping since he came back. “I’ll stay here for a few days to take care of him. I’m making porridge for dinner and Omma is boiling herbal oxtail soup for him,” Sohyun explained. Seung Ho’s mom was so grateful. She asked Sohyun to make abalone porridge, which she taught Sohyun over the phone. “Please ask him to call me when he is able to.” Sohyun promised she would. After she end up the call with Seung Ho’s mom, she asked her mom to buy her the abalone.

 

Sohyun’s brother came over with her clothes and abalone. When he came in, he walked around the apartment and admired the spacious, modern apartment before following his sister to the kitchen. Sohyun started preparing to cook the porridge as her brother sat at the counter. “Noona, Omma said Hyung is ill. Is he having a fever or something?” he asked curious. Sohyun shook her head. “I don’t think he is ill, but he lost a lot of weight and seems very tired. He has been sleeping most of the day since he came back. So, I just want to take care of him until he gets better. But please, if you see him, do not say anything. I don’t want him to know I worry, because I know he will pretend he is ok so as not to worry me.” They continued small chats while Sohyun cook the porridge.

 

Seung Ho came into the kitchen and walked towards Sohyun who was in front of the stove. He slid his arms on her waist, pulling her towards him as he kissed her cheek.  Sohyun glanced at him and smile. As he walked to the fridge, he greeted her brother. He took a bottled water and sat beside him. Sohyun’s brother returned the greetings. “Hyung, was your trip good? How come you are back earlier?”  Seung Ho drank some water before replying, “We’d managed to finish filming earlier. And I wanted to go back to your sister. I’ve missed her,” Seung Ho stared at Sohyun’s back. Sohyun was smiling as she heard that.

 

“How are you? Have you been taking care of your sister like I told you to?” Sohyun’s brother nodded. “Of course, hyung! I took good care of Noona,” Sohyun’s brother confidently respond. “Then, what is this I heard about you coming home drunk and your sister has to get you from the lobby?” Seung Ho questioned. Sohyun’s brother smiled sheepishly. “Ok, I think I outstay my welcome here. Bye!” Sohyun turned around, “Aren’t you staying for dinner?” He shook his head, “Not for porridge. Hyung, enjoy your porridge. Bye Noona.”

 

“You made porridge for dinner?” Seung Ho asked. Sohyun nodded. “I thought it would be good to get your stomach slowly adjust to korean food. And I made it using your mom’s recipe.” Seung Ho widened his e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter