The Last travelogue.. and

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seung Ho and Sohyun were busy with filming their respective dramas and Seung Ho was also overseeing the production of the remaining episodes of the travelogue. They often communicated via phone but would try to meet over lunch, dinner and sometimes, Sohyun would occasionally sleep over.

 

They were having breakfast the weekend before the screening, when Sohyun looked up. “Oppa, the cinema is really small, is it?” Sohyun asked. “The cinema? You mean where the screening going to be?” Seung Ho asked. “Yeah, you know the news is out that you are having this simulcast screening and some of my friends are interested to attend. These are close friends, like Jiwoo and Yoo Jung,” Sohyun explained. Seung Ho had invited their family, personal friends and a few of their common friends to the event. But the event’s exclusivity was garnering a lot of attention and it became like who’s close to Sohyun and Seung Ho’s event. And Sohyun didn’t want to offend those that she was indeed close to. “I think we should be able to spare a couple of seats, I suppose. I’ll check,” Seung Ho answered. “Err.. since you are checking, could you see if you can probably get maybe 8 to 10 seats?” Sohyun quipped. Seung Ho looked at her and she was smiling widely, her face all hopeful and he could not bear to disappoint. “I’ll try,” he said softly.  Sohyun leaned forward and kissed his cheek, “Thank you Oppa! Let me know soonest,” she cried happily. “I got to run. Manager Jung is waiting.” and she picked up her bowl. Seung Ho asked her to leave it on the table and he will clean up. After another quick kiss, she ran off saying, “I’ll see you on Wednesday if I get in early. Otherwise, I see you on Thursday. Bye Oppa!” Sohyun was travelling to another province for filming.

 

Seung Ho leaned back against his chair and he sighed heavily. The simulcast screening was meant to be a private affair for his and Sohyun’s families and friends. But there were demands by several parties and even reporters to attend it. Even the station wanted to be involved.

 

“Hyung, this is getting out of hand. I’m trying to keep it small, I don’t want any of this publicity,” Seung Ho had lamented to Producernim a couple of days before when he was informed that the station insisted on being at the screening and to include it as part of its publicity. Producernim understood the purpose and his reason for it. Seung Ho is a private person and the blow up of the event was something he didn’t expect but Producernim had anticipated. When someone as private as Seung Ho do an event, it would attract significant interest since it was out of the norm.

 

“The station can refuse to allow the simulcast. Its their rights, so can I suggest you allow one reporter and one camera/video guy from them. Limit them to broadcast the attendees and the reception and the post event. Anything else in between, they need your permission,” Producernim offered. Seung Ho had asked for time to think it over.

 

“Annyeong,” Seung Ho greeted when Producernim picked up the phone. “Hyung, ok, I do it. But I don’t want to make it exclusive for the station. I just don’t! So, maybe you could invite the reporter that I did the interview with, to make it less exclusive for them. Yeah. Oh, could you ask Mi Sun to call me when she gets in? I need more seats for Sohyun’s friends.” Producernim agreed. He was sympathetic with Seung Ho but he also realized that Seung Ho needed to realise that he can’t always have his way in the entertainment industry.

 

Sohyun was about to arrive at the filming location when she received the text indicating she can have 8 seats for the simulcast.

 

To Seung Ho-oppa

Thank you so much! I love you

 

Seung Ho smiled when he read her response. She’s worth all the inconveniences in the world.

 

Seung Ho was discussing with Producernim and Mi Sun on the plans for the simulcast when Producernim’s secretary knocked. “There’s someone here to see Seung Ho-ssi. He said it was urgent.” Seung Ho stood up as someone was let in. It was the reporter that wrote the article about Sohyun several years ago. Seung Ho's mood immediately darkened.

 

“Annyeong. Could you give me 5 minutes to say something?” the reported asked. Producernim stood up and answered, “You lied to my secretary to see Seung Ho. Leave.” Seung Ho turned to Producernim and shook his head. “You have your 5 minutes,” he said briskly as he glanced at his watch.

 

“I wrote that article because it was right. It was in most people mind and I wrote what I felt was justifiable. It was also my right as a reporter and the freedom of speech. It wasn’t personal. So, to have been excluded from any events relating to you or Sohyun-ssi is unfair,” he stated. “Did anyone exclude you from events when it is opened to all?” Seung Ho asked. “No, we can get in but my news team are often seated in a corner at the back. But we were never invited to any closed event, like this one that you are having on Friday,” he explained.

 

Seung Ho turned to Su Min, “How many reporters did we invite for this Friday event?” Su Min replied, “only the tv station and two other reporters, both are close to you.” “See, there is no personal issue against you. And those general events, I can’t help if you are seated at the back somewhere. I don’t get involved in such things.” Seung Ho paused. “You talked about freedom of speech, and on your rights in writing the article. That freedom comes with responsibility, don’t you think? And the rights that you mentioned, do remember that it does not only entitled you. Everybody has their rights. And if I do choose to exclude you intentionally, don’t you think that is my right, too? And shouldn’t that repercussions have been something you are responsible for in your company?” The reporter was shocked and furious. “I believe your 5 minutes is over, could you excuse us, please? We do have important things to discuss,” Seung Ho dismissed him and sat down. The reporter walked out huffily. “You ok?” Producernim asked. “I feel good actually. I’ve been wanting to say something for years, I’m glad I had the opportunity. And I don’t care if he wants to try anything funny after today. If he hasn’t learned his lesson, that is his call,” Seung Ho answered.

 

Sohyun came back in the early hours of Thursday morning, so she went straight home. She had schedule on that day and Seung Ho was busy with the travelogue and the screening. “I guess I meet you at the event itself.” Sohyun was disappointed. She thought they would go together, but Seung Ho told her that he would change at the production house since he had a lot of things still to do.

 

Seung Ho arrived at the function room of the cinema. Everything was set up nicely and he was pleased. There would be about slightly more 40 people at the event, still intimate enough. There were reporters from other agencies and stations at the entrance to the cinema to take photos of those that’ve been invited.

 

Sohyun arrived with her mom and brother, looking so beautiful in a baby pink dress. Seung Ho greeted her mom and brother and he held Sohyun’s hand as he whispered to her, “Sweetheart, you need to stand by me to greet the guests. I’m so uncomfortable.” Sohyun nodded and smile. A few more friends came and then his family. Seung Ho introduced his parents to Sohyun’s mom and brother. The parents then stood having drinks and food at one corner, chatting. “Our parents seemed to get along well,” he told Sohyun. Sohyun glanced and nodded. They continued to greet other guests and mingled around. It was a gathering of people close to them.

 

Fifteen minutes to the official screening, the guests were ushered to the cinema. Only Seung Ho and Sohyun’s families had specific seats around them, but the rest were free seatings. Seung Ho went to the front of the cinema and greeted everyone. He thanked them for coming and told them that the travelogue was a special experience for him. He hoped they would enjoy the last screening. Someone shouted asking if there would be season 2, and L replied, “No, Sohyun wants to keep him at home!” Seung Ho laughed along with the others in the room and admitted he won’t be doing a second season, though he wasn’t sure if someone else would do it though.

 

The last travelogue was on Bolivia, the poorest country in South America. Seung Ho captured the beautiful city Potosi, the highest city on earth, with its beautiful architecture and Spanish influences, La Paz for its unique medley of Aedean culture and the jaw dropping picturesque town of Sorata. Seung Ho spent a lot of time with the indigineous people out in the far flung villages as he captured their customs and colourful life. He unveiled the beauty of the people and the places in spite of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter