We're Still Friends

Seven Days

“What? No, no we’re not… *sighs you know what just forget about it. I’m sorry you had to get involved in that” I commented patting him on the back.

“As expected of Sungjong-hyung, you can easily forgive others”

“What are you talking about? If you were my enemy I would’ve beaten you up already”

“Haha I know right?! Hyung have always been strong ever since I can remember” Sungjae smiled.

“Yeah, and I also know there’s something that has been bothering you. So Spill” Sungjong sounded like a big brother who caught his little brother hiding a low test score

“Hyung, I wonder what can get passed you”  

“We’re friends, so every time you have something you wanted to tell me you always find ways to stick to me” I laughed at my dongsaeng.

“Actually, my mom is getting married again” Sungjae let out a deep sigh.

“Well, three’s a charm! Congratulations!” I met Sungjae’s mom the same day I get to know him during my last summer in high school. Sungjae was in advance class and even though he’s younger than me we’re already applying for college. Back then he was your typical nerd with big glasses and long bangs and just happened to attract stupid bullies. I just happen to pass by and help him out I guess since then we became friends. His mom had been married twice before, can’t believe it’s happening again.

‘Yeah, but this time my mom is marrying a foreigner and she decided to live abroad”

“Wow, so the wedding will also be held abroad” I asked looking at Sungjae’s rather serious expression, “ What’s wrong? Are you sad your mom’s leaving you? haha”

“Not really, I wanted to stay here with you guys and finish my studies but my mom has decided that we’re going to live together abroad” Sungjae looked at me and I can’t grasp what he was thinking.

“What do you mean? You’re not finishing your studies here? Does the other know?”

“Actually, I’ve told the others. I’ll be leaving in probably less than a month hyung”

“What?! When did you tell others about this? Are you really leaving?”

“Probably about three weeks ago. Baekhyun-hyung kind of found about it but I told them I wanted to tell you myself so they have been keeping silence all this time”

“Is that they kept looking at us every time we’re talking? Why didn’t you tell me about this?” I was not upset about the news I was upset that I was the last person not to know about it.

“It’s because you’re the one who told me to follow my dreams, I wanted to really finish my studies here with you guys but I love my mom too”

“We all do, if I could be with her every day of my life I would. Besides you can still continue your studies abroad right? We can still talk online so it’s not really a big deal”

“Yeah, I hope so”

“Don’t feel down dongsaeng! Don’t worry before you leave we’ll make sure you can never forget your friends here. So you better do things you want to do now, if you have someone you like you better confess to her now. We’ll back you up when she would reject you!” I joked rubbing his back to soothe him. Of course I feel a little bit sad, Sungjae’s like a little brother to me.

“Hyung! Hahaha, that’s impossible! Every time I see a girl I was at lost for words they all end up thinking I’m either a mute or stuttering!”  

“Well you just have to try and try until she gets tired of you!” We laughed as I put my arms o his shoulders arriving at my work place.

“This is my stop, gotta work” I said to Sungjae letting go, “ Aish, this kid don’t be sad big brother will help you out”

“Sometimes I just want to keep that person to myself you know, but I’m planning to tell my feelings before I leave. By hyung!”

“Bye, be careful!” keeping someone to yourself huh? I wonder if that applies to friends too.

End of POV

“Sungjong, you just missed something really awesome” Dongwoo greeted his junior at work when Sungjong came in the back door.

“What is it hyung?” the younger boy said as he started to change in his uniform”

“A guy in an expensive looking car stopped by over, he had this dark shades on and two bodyguards I thought they’re mafia! They kept looking around and the guy in shades stopped by the vending machine and stared at it for like twenty minutes before pressing the button! It was so funny watching them pressing the same buttons over and over again with nothing happening. When I was about to help them he stop and went the counter and bought a gum. ” Dongwoo was talking so fast Sungjong thought he sounded like he’s rapping.

“I  so dumbfounded I didn’t even realized he paid with a black card! And you what he just bought? A gum for kids! When they left I had to go to the back room to laugh my heart out that I feel so guilty about it up until now” 

“Hyung! You’re so evil!” Sungjong laughed at his senior’s funny expressions. “it’s probably their first time going to a convenience store.”

                “I know, but it’s just I never know someone who doesn’t know how to use a vending machine. I can’t believe there are still people like that in the world.”

                “Myungsoo only went to the super when I took him there, I can believe he never went to buy groceries he looked like a kid in a candy store. He was even surprised to see kimchi sold at the super!” Sungjong recalled.

                “What? He’s probably a rich kid too” Dongwoo commented.

                “I don’t know. When I asked him once he said he’s not rich. I mean if he was he probably went into some fancy school” ah, wait that’s not the reason why he went to our school. It was because he’s pursuing someone very important to him that’s why.

                “Ey, Sungjong... you okay? You’re spacing out?”

                “Nothing hyung, I just remember some stuff to do when I get home.”

                “Oh, not that you mention it something was delivered in for you. I fight it strange since you usually have things delivered in your dorm, but it’s probably because you changed address recently” Sungjong’s senior was still talking in high spirits but the former can feel the something’s not right.

                “Oh, yeah it’s probably my new books” I can feel my blood draining away from me. “Where is it?”

                “Books? I don’t think they’re not books since it’s in a tall box and it’s very light” Dongwoo noticed the sudden pale expression playing on his juniors face. “Are you expecting a package or not?”

                “ Oh, it’s nothing hyung I’ll check it before I go to my post. Dongwoo-hyung did you by chance saw who delivered the package?” Sungjong tried as hard to keep his voice calm as possible.

                “Uhm, it was sent through a delivery company. I put it inside the empty locker beside yours”

                “Thanks hyung, I’ll check it later” Sungjong smiled.

                “You sure, everything’s fine?”

                “Yes, it’s probably from my sister nothing to worry”

                “Okay then, I’ll leave you to it”

                No sooner than Dongwoo disappeared in sight. Sungjong frantically opened the locker.

                It was a fancy tall black box with black ribbons. Sungjong slowly opened the box and say a single deep blood red rose carefully wrapped in white cloth. The younger boy was baffled, as he slowly lifts the rose the tip of his finger touched something sharp his hand quickly retreated as the rose’s thorns that were carefully hidden among the leaves pierced into his fingertips and drew blood while the box fell on the floor. Not wanting any attention he quickly picked the rose by the petals and slid it back to the box while another black envelope fell on the floor.

                Sungjong put back on the lid and was picking up the black envelope when Dongwoo came in again.

                “You okay? Hey your hand is bleeding what happened?” Dongwoo questioned upon seeing the blood.

                “Ah, I was clumsy and got my fingers cut hyung but it’s not that deep. I’ll wash it and put some band aid. I gotta get to my post hyung” they young junior hastily leaves his senior.   

                For the rest of his working hours, Sungjong tried to avoid any conversations with his manager. He busied himself restocking cup ramen and wiping the counter by the cash register Dongwoo thought it’s gonna wear out.

                “Welcome sir, if you need…” the smile on Sungjong’s face disappeared seeing his “boyfriend”. What do you want.?

                “Hey, why are you scowling at a customer?” Myungsoo said walking up to the counter. “You look pale, did you eat properly today?”

                “ I did, what are you doing here my shift ends in an hour and you seemed busy?”

                “Are you still mad at me?” Myungsoo tried to pinch Sungjong’s cheek but the younger boy brushed off his gesture.

                *ignore

                “If you don’t plan to buy anything please move aside for the next customer” Sungjong said in a business like voice.

                “What happened to your hand?” Myungsoo’s voice took a 360 degree seeing the younger boy’s fingertips covered with Band-Aids.

                “Nothing, just a simple accident.”

                “What happened?” Myungsoo’s piecing looks did not steer away from Sungjong.

                “I told you, nothing! Can’t I get an accident once in a while?”

                “Where’s Dongwoo-hyung? If you’re not going to tell me then I’ll ask him”

                “Guys, I'vetold you many time no flirting..." Dongwoo ct short his joke seeing the grim expression in Myungsoo's face. "You two okay?"

                    "Did something happened here Hyung?" Myungsoo asked. 

                    

 

...............................................................iDeviant.........................................................

sometimes I wonder what's really going on with these two sheesh haha

speaking of vending machines, when I was a kid I had this habit of staring at vending machines for too long people started to think I don't have the money to buy. Sometimes they would approach and bought things from the vending just to give to me! thinking now, did i really looked like a penniless kid? hahaha